PM HH Analysis

Another "how would you play it". This is the 4th hand HU in the end of an 18 player tournament. Pretty much even in chips, villain has been a little loose, aggressive pre, passive post flop.

Buyin was $6+.50. I will post the streets about 12 hrs apart instead of days like the last thread.

Table '90903624 2' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 3: JollietJake (15360 in chips)
Seat 8: unluckybud (11640 in chips)
JollietJake: posts the ante 50
unluckybud: posts the ante 50
JollietJake: posts small blind 400
unluckybud: posts big blind 800
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JollietJake [Jc 8h]
JollietJake: calls 400
unluckybud: checks
*** FLOP *** [Ks Js Kh]
unluckybud: bets 800
JollietJake: ?

Comments

• Raise and see where you are.

In most cases ( especially vs. Aggro) you would see a Raise PF with any A or K from villain.
  • You raise and he shoves, do you fold?

You raise and he calls, now what?
  • Really? Raise? Who calls you here? My feel was any Ax, any two spades and obv any king. There are some ugly straight draws too but I was really thinking about keeping the pot small and not getting over-committed yet should another spade hit on the turn. Just calling also masks the strength of my hand. I really want to win a big pot here. A king however is unlikely given that there was no preflop raise.

I also forgot to include some info about my image. I have been playing tight/aggro. Prior to HU I only limped a handful of times and only in multi-way pots. Checking my stats, I only saw the flop 36%. I took a bad hit at 5 players that crippled me but a couple of lucky flops and donk bluffs got me here.

This is also inline with the PM's sent on the subject.
    You are not folding this flop heads up with an M of 10.

A raise is bad here because all the hands you beat will fold and all the hands you are behind will shove. You will get no value from it. There are about a million hands that could do this and you are way ahead of most of them so give him an opportunity to to bluff the turn.
    As played on the flop,
    I'm okay with raising but prefer calling for pot size control and to let my position do the work.
    I'd raise 30% and call 70% of the time.

Here is the next street.

*** HOLE CARDS ***
    *** FLOP *** [Ks Js Kh]
    JollietJake: calls 800
    *** TURN *** [Ks Js Kh] [8c]
    unluckybud: bets 1600
    JollietJake: ?

Does 3 pair beat trip kings? Ok, so the flush draw didn't improve, the straight draws didn't really improve and not an overcard to my holdings. Pot is still small, what is the best way to extract value here? Flat call? Min raise? Push time?
  • Thread seems to have died, fine. Here is how the rest of the hand played out. Anybody not call here?

*** HOLE CARDS ***
    *** FLOP *** [Ks Js Kh]
    JollietJake: calls 800
    *** TURN *** [Ks Js Kh] [8c]
    unluckybud: bets 1600
    JollietJake: calls 1600
    *** RIVER *** [Ks Js Kh 8c] [7h]
    unluckybud: bets 8390 and is all-in
    JollietJake: calls 8390
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    unluckybud: shows [4h Td] (a pair of Kings)
    JollietJake: shows [Jc 8h] (two pair, Kings and Jacks) JollietJake collected 23280 from pot

Game over, first place, yippie ....