Did I miss a value bet on the river?

Feel free to comment on the entire play - I don't love how I played the hand. However, I am most interested in what you would do on the river. I was scared of a check-raise, but I also recognize there were hands that called me on the turn that would have called a river bet. I had only seen two hands played by the big blind, A-10 suited and pocket nines.

Would you bet the river?
If yes, how much?
If you are check-raised do you call?

Full Tilt Poker Game #6630230348: Daily Double - A (49696700), Table 70 - 40/80 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:54:13 ET - 2008/05/30
Seat 1: MrRaise (1,845)
Seat 2: Dodger Fan Ken (6,720)
Seat 3: dmanns (1,375)
Seat 4: bjb6985 (2,780)
Seat 5: SpiralLogic (460)
Seat 6: canefan1967 (1,790)
Seat 7: rtkoss (3,725)
Seat 8: skinnybobcom (1,250)
Seat 9: waltsfriend (4,140)
MrRaise posts the small blind of 40
Dodger Fan Ken posts the big blind of 80
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to waltsfriend [Jh Kh]
dmanns folds
bjb6985 raises to 210
SpiralLogic folds
canefan1967 folds
rtkoss calls 210
skinnybobcom has 15 seconds left to act
skinnybobcom folds
waltsfriend calls 210
MrRaise folds
Dodger Fan Ken calls 130
*** FLOP *** [9s Jd 9d]
Dodger Fan Ken checks
bjb6985 checks
rtkoss checks
waltsfriend checks
*** TURN *** [9s Jd 9d] [Kc]
Dodger Fan Ken checks
bjb6985 checks
rtkoss checks
waltsfriend bets 560
Dodger Fan Ken calls 560
bjb6985 has 15 seconds left to act
bjb6985 folds
rtkoss folds
*** RIVER *** [9s Jd 9d Kc] [3s]
Dodger Fan Ken checks
waltsfriend checks

*** SHOW DOWN ***
waltsfriend shows [Jh Kh] two pair, Kings and Jacks
Dodger Fan Ken mucks
waltsfriend wins the pot (2,000) with two pair, Kings and Jacks
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2,000 | Rake 0
Board: [9s Jd 9d Kc 3s]
Seat 1: MrRaise (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 2: Dodger Fan Ken (big blind) mucked [Qh Ks] - two pair, Kings and Nines
Seat 3: dmanns didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: bjb6985 folded on the Turn
Seat 5: SpiralLogic didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: canefan1967 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: rtkoss folded on the Turn
Seat 8: skinnybobcom didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: waltsfriend (button) showed [Jh Kh] and won (2,000) with two pair, Kings and Jacks

Comments

• Can't believe he would check three streets with a 9, I definitely value bet the river, if he has a K weak kicker, he may call 1/3 to 1/2 pot bet.. I probably call any re-raise, Q,10 unlikely with that flush draw possibility.
  • You made the hand more complicated than necessary by checking the flop. Why flat with KJ on the button if you don't think a 9J9 flop is good for you?

A much better line would be to bet the flop, probably get heads-up. Then check behind on the turn, and bluff-catch on the blank river.

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    You made the hand more complicated than necessary by checking the flop. Why flat with KJ on the button if you don't think a 9J9 flop is good for you?

A much better line would be to bet the flop, probably get heads-up. Then check behind on the turn, and bluff-catch on the blank river.

/g2

I can tell you why I checked the flop. I called with K-J suited in position and I actually didn't think that J-9-9 was a great flop. It was ok, but not really what I was hoping to see. With that hand I was hoping to see a straight or flush or two pair with my king and jack or two jacks on the flop. I was also surprised to be four-handed at this point in the hand. I was expecting that one of the previous three players had played 9-10 suited or a bigger overpair and was waiting to check-raise. I didn't think that a single bet would win me the pot and I also didn't think it would really tell me where I stood if someone flat-called. I had not committed much of my stack to this pot and I was determined not to get crippled by this hand.
  • If it was 4 ways and you hit top pair with Jacks and nines with a King kicker, and having position on the other players a bet on the flop would of told you exactley where you were in the hand, if someone smoothed called you, then perhaps slowing down on the turn would be a safe route, thats an exlent flop for your hand, you got to think what your oppents are holding and what can beat you. Yea anyone with a 9 as a whole card an over pair or AJ. well no one raised pre-flop that would be a sign that your hand is good. If you dont bet you cant win, and you giving a free card can set up str8 draws. Using your chips as a tool for getting information key.

Cheers Mr Love Monkey
  • I :h: Mr. Love Monkey

Even if he can't spell. Firefox ftw!
  • ok, I came for "Mr Love Monkey" stayed to read the HH

I'm not sort of 'meh' about just calling with k-jss here, but if I did..

I bet 1/2 pot on that flop because that's what I'd almost always bet [1/2-3/4] when it is checked to me...

the smaller end seems good because I'm pretty ok with my jack.

if the bb calls I check/check the turn and call a reasonable river bet.

anyone else calls I bet the turn..and try and make it look tricky and like I want the call..so I can figure out what the hell they're still doing in the hand.

(obv real strength if they stay then)...like 1/2 pot rounded up to the nearest pretty number after a 'tank'

very small bet on the river when they check to you because they obv don't have a 9 and missed their draw at best..but maybe they will pay you off anyway.
  • Definitely bet the river it's not even close. Betting the flop would be better but checking behind certainly isn't that bad.