Simple Pot Odds

Hello all, what is the easiest way to figure out pot odds? Does anyone have a simple way of doing this? I know this is a very basic question but will help me and likely others.

thanks
labeach

Comments

• Deleted
  • 13CARDS wrote: »
    Amount to call/Amount in pot

OR

Amount in pot/Amount to call

As a double-check, your bet is included in what's in the pot before you figure out the odds right?
  • Just to clarify a bit...

if you're looking to calculate how much is in the pot, well, just take the time and count the chips.... if you're wondering how much it'll be if you want to raise the pot, it's pot+your call of any previous bets (eg. pot is 100, someone pots - $200, you want to re-pot it's now a total of $400 to you - calling the $100 bet makes a $300 pot, so the pot raise is $300).

If you're talking about if you should draw or not, the easiest is the rule of 4's and 2's. Count your outs, and if there's two cards to come (i.e. you're going to be all in on the flop) you times that # by 4 (9 outs is ~36%). If you only get to see one more card, it's times 2 (9 outs is ~18%). It's not perfect, but it's close enough for most decisions.

Mark
  • Thanks Mark, thats a much more helpful response than the first. How do you relate the pot size and odds of catching together and make a decision based on that? Or are they two stand alone things. Using the amount of chips in the pot with or without the raise how do I decide if i'm getting "odds" to call?

thanks again
    labeach
  • don't forget implied odds as well, as this is a very important concept besides pot odds. Sometimes you may not have the pot odds to call based on the math but the implied odds, based on future chips you may obtain if you hit one of your outs.

PKR - How to calculate poker pot odds
  • strange thread, coming from a guy who has been a member here for almost 3 years?

i'm guessing you haven't read a lot of poker books? i'd recommend starting with something like Theory of Poker.
  • Steve:

To make a call "correct" in terms of EV (expected value), the odds of your making your hand has to be lower than the odds the pot / bet is laying you. Let's do a common example:

Say you know your opponent has top pair top kicker on this board:

Ah-6h-4c

Now you have KhQh, so you have a draw to the nut flush or 9 outs.

Let's say your opponent and you have built a pot of $10, and he bets you all in for your remaining $4. His bet makes the pot $14, and you need to call $4 to win it, which means the pot is laying you about 3.5 to one odds (14/4). Now, you know that you have 9 outs, and if you put yourself all in, you get to see both of the next two cards, so we use the rule of 4... 9 outs x 4 = 36% chance, or a little better than 3:1 to hit, but let's just say 3:1.

In this case, since the odds you are getting from the pot are bigger than your odds to hit, you should call. I find it easier to understand if you do the actual "big numbers". If you find yourself in this scenario 10 times, you will hit your hand 3-4 times, earning a total of $14 each time, so you MAKE $42-$56. But, you will lose 6-7 times, and therefore lose that extra $4 each time, which means you LOSE $24-$28. Overall, you're making money, so this call is "+EV" (disclaimer: I may be doing the math / wording wrong, but I'm tired, so GFY).

Now, same hand, let's say you have $8 back and he puts you all in. The odds change now, you've got to spend $8 to win $18, which is about 2.25:1 odds (18/8), and you still have your 3:1 chance of winning. THIS time, the payouts change, you win 3-4 times out of ten for a profit of $54-$72, but this time you're losing $56-$64 on the 6-7 times you lose, so this is a bad call or "-EV".

Now, ten times in this situation is by no means a big enough number for the odds to work out, you may win 5-6 times, hell you may win all 10, but over the "long term" (read: Thousands and thousands of hands) where you're in this situation, it'll work out this way. Sometimes you'll see an actual number beside the "+/- EV", and I believe that is simply the amount of money you can expect to win - on average - every time you make that move.

IMPLIED odds, as was mentioned above, is a guesstimation (usually) as to how much you can milk the bettor if you DO make your hand. In these cases neither of you can be all in (or there's no implied odds - no more money to be won). I think the most common "implied odds call" is for small - medium pocket pairs calling a raise. You hit your set, and you've got a well disguised monster than someone who catches something like top pair will pay you off on....

Hope that helps - man it's a slow day at work.

Mark
  • Thanks Mark, thats a much more helpful response than the first. How do you relate the pot size and odds of catching together and make a decision based on that? Or are they two stand alone things. Using the amount of chips in the pot with or without the raise how do I decide if i'm getting "odds" to call?

thanks again
    labeach

It may not be the right way....but the way I do it is simply by thinking about the money. 1. What's the total pot (before my call) and then 2. what amount do I have to call.

Here's my easiest example. I've raised with AJ (terrible i know) to 3x bb of 300....so to 900 total. Mark in the big blind goes all in for 900 more for a total of 1800. Pot is now 1800+900+150sb. for a total of 2850. My call would obviously be 900. so i have to spend 900 to win 2850. I'm getting slightly more than 3 to 1 on my money. Unless I can put Mark on a bigger ace I have to call. Ie if Mark shows me Queens I still pretty much have to call (I'm hoping he has 78o).
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    i'm guessing you haven't read a lot of poker books? i'd recommend starting with something like Theory of Poker.

Sometimes its not what you read but what you remember. You can witness my total disregard for pot odds later tonight. Save me a seat, on your left of course :)
  • AJo vs QQ is like 71.xx to 28.xx %

AcKc vs AJo (no club) is 73.xx to 22.xx%

Not a great example, since they're VERY close to one another in odds.... if you "have to call" the QQ, you also "have to call" the AK....

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    Steve:

9 outs x 4 = 36% chance, or a little better than 3:1 to hit, but let's just say 3:1.

Great explanation Mark, but one minor mistake. With 9 outs on the flop, you're closer to 2:1 to complete by the river.

Also, your samples assume all-in calls on the flop. If you're call does not put you all-in (you're not guaranteed to see the river without calling another bet), you should use the rule of 2 to calculate your pot odds to complete by the next card.
  • MarcoGD wrote: »
    Great explanation Mark, but one minor mistake. With 9 outs on the flop, you're closer to 2:1 to complete by the river.

Also, your samples assume all-in calls on the flop. If you're call does not put you all-in (you're not guaranteed to see the river without calling another bet), you should use the rule of 2 to calculate your pot odds to complete by the next card.

Run it... AcKc vs KhQh on a Ah2h7c board 37.17% KQ wins 62.83% AK wins

And I stated that the villain was putting you all in.

Mark
  • AJo vs QQ is like 71.xx to 28.xx %

Not to radically overhaul your game or anything, but I dont think AJo is a 71% fav in this scenario.
  • yea yea.. switch the numbers...

Mark
  • Deleted
  • Good question...

I'd assume a hand like AcAs vs. Ax7s/c is probably the biggest dog, 5.65%...

Is there a bigger one?

Mark
  • Kings are better.

Ks Kc 94.16%
    2c Kh 4.31%
  • Thank you for the slight insult pkrfce9, but its all good. When I posted this question I knew I would get some sort of response like this. Unfortunately typical.

Anyway, after the mess I made of the ring game at Bristol the other night I started to re-evaluate and see what I was doing wrong. I'm sure its not one, but many lol. I thought one of the many great poker minds here might be able to help me see this topic in a different way. I also thought it might be a valuable topic for beginners joining the forum to read. As some new members may be fearful to post "basic" questions.

Thanks to Mark and the other great responses I do appreciate your time.

labeach
    pkrfce9 wrote: »
    strange thread, coming from a guy who has been a member here for almost 3 years?

• not intended an insult at all, i'm serious you would get value from reading that book if you are looking for help. as would any beginner not familiar with this topic. so could a lot of 'experienced' players but that is why we make money from them.
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    Here's my easiest example. I've raised with AJ (terrible i know) to 3x bb of 300....so to 900 total. Mark in the big blind goes all in for 900 more for a total of 1800. Pot is now 1800+900+150sb. for a total of 2850. My call would obviously be 900. so i have to spend 900 to win 2850. I'm getting slightly more than 3 to 1 on my money. Unless I can put Mark on a bigger ace I have to call. Ie if Mark shows me Queens I still pretty much have to call (I'm hoping he has 78o).
    ok, so as a public service to 'beginners' this bolded statement is not particularly accurate. against AK or AQ, you are about a 3:1 underdog and you are getting better than 3:1 from the pot. so it is correct (give or take a percent or 2) to call. even against KK, you are only a little worse than 2:1 dog so you call. only against AA would you not have proper odds to call. and mark never plays AA like this. he milks it until he gets a 'bad' beat.

for that matter, raising against a short stack noted for defending his big blind is incorrect in the first place...

i hope this didn't come off as too insulting!
  • 800OVER wrote: »
    Given the circumstances you describe, you have to call, period. Your equity in this pot given the range of hands he could do this with is way more than 25%.
  • pkrfce9 wrote: »
    for that matter, raising against a short stack noted for defending his big blind is incorrect in the first place...
    I have to disagree with this. You probably meant to say raising with trash to steal the blinds from a short stack is wrong.

In this case, you know short stack is desparate and you know AJ is much better than his random hand. I.e., you want to get all-in heads up with him. A 3x raise is a good way to do that.