Low PP vs a very loose aggressive player

This is a two part question..., I am asking for feedback in analyzing my hand vs a very loose aggressive player and will also need help to counteract this player going forward...

A friend's home cash game..., 10 players with blinds at 1/2..., hand started with three limpers..., action to the SB and player raises to $7.

NOTE: SB is considered by many at the table to be very loose aggressive! Tendancies are to bluff and raise almost every pot at any given position with any two connectors, two suited cards, any ace, any PP, two cards > 9. Player then continually puts pressure post flop (regardless of the board) by outbetting opponnents off the pot.

You are in the BB with low PP (4s) and have SB covered..., if it's any other player on SB raising PF, you'd probably give them credit for a big hand and fold. Considering the player you're up against, you elect to call here in the hopes of hitting your set. Rest of the table folds and it's the battle of the blinds going to the flop. Flop comes K-8-9 rainbow. SB as predicted, c-bets $10.

NOTE: At this time, a player accidentally exposed their hand (K-6o) while another player unable to keep their excitement blurts out to the player exposing the cards that they share the same identical hand. You now take this into consideration before making your decision..., I am sure, SB is also thinking the same thing!

You're now thinking it's highly unlikely that SB is holding the case K and despite of the three over cards to your low PP, there's still a possibility that SB missed the flop and you could be ahead here. Although, I was tempted to find out where I stood by raising, I elected to call again to see the turn. Big mistake on my part as SB c-bets another $20 on the turn with $25 back so what do you do now?!?!

BTW, I folded of course after seeing the turn produce a 7c (it's now a coordinated board with two clubs). I figured, there's just too many hand possibilities now that I may not be able to beat come the river.

Comments

• I don't like the call preflop... If he is really loose aggressive I think you options are best to re-raise to something like $30 (aggressive players tend to slow down when they have to call raises like this out of position) to try and get him to lay down a weak hand / find out how strong he is (depending on stack sizes of course), or fold and wait for a better hand to make a move with. With pocket 4s, pretty much any flop is going to look ugly for you unless you spike a set and if you know the player is going to C-bet any flop its not a very good call.
  • If you are going to play this hand then you want pre-flop raiser to have a large stack then his starting of $60.

I would only play the 4's if he had over $80 and look to flop a set.

With the board of K-8-7 and you are both sure there are 2 kings gone he could still have you beat with an 8 or 7 and he may not think you have the case king as well, if you are going to call his bet on the flop you might as well raise him right there because you are most likely not going to win with 4's going to a show down.

With the way the hand played when he bet the turn you either put him all-in or fold, no reason to call the turn.
  • Graham wrote: »
    I don't like the call preflop... If he is really loose aggressive I think you options are best to re-raise to something like $30 (aggressive players tend to slow down when they have to call raises like this out of position) to try and get him to lay down a weak hand / find out how strong he is (depending on stack sizes of course), or fold and wait for a better hand to make a move with. With pocket 4s, pretty much any flop is going to look ugly for you unless you spike a set and if you know the player is going to C-bet any flop its not a very good call.

+1

Also raising on the flop might give you the information you need. If you raise to $30+ on the flop, if he calls or re-raises, you are folding here. If he has nothing, you will likely take the hand down with the raise. I guess it depends on your starting stacks as well. Based on the details provided, with players folding to a $5 raise pre-flop and you considering it, you may not be playing with much cash so the raise may not be feasible based on your bankroll for the night. Seems like a very tight table with these pre-flop folds. Sounds like this guy is controlling the table.
  • As some have mentioned, important thing here is relative stack sizes.. What are most people buying in for? If the buyins are mostly $100. and under, consider lowering the blinds (perhaps .50/1) to make the the stacks a little deeper in comparison. That makes playing smaller pp's for raises a little more practical.
  • compuease wrote: »
    As some have mentioned, important thing here is relative stack sizes.. What are most people buying in for? If the buyins are mostly $100. and under, consider lowering the blinds (perhaps .50/1) to make the the stacks a little deeper in comparison. That makes playing smaller pp's for raises a little more practical.

SB's stack before this hand is around 60-70, I on the other hand had over 100. This is a low limit home cash game where everone buys-in at $20 and blinds set-up starts off at $0.25/$0.50 and increases every hour. At the time when we went heads-up together, the blinds were at 1/2.

So I really don't know if I can make the re-raise play here knowing full well he might also call with almost anything and everything. If he believes I am just making a play, he will call regardless of what two cards he has. However, if he believes I have a big hand, he will fold. I've been playing conservatively tight to that point so who knows what he thinks. Like I said, he's an ultra ultra loose aggressive player.
  • never heard of a cash game with increasing blinds; does the raiser have a stack to make this call worthwhile? You have approx. 1 in 9 chance to hit your trips. Does this other player have more than around $60 behind If not, fold and wait for a better chance to get his chips. If you do call and hit your trips, will he likely call a raise for all his chips? Hitting trips is only a good call if the raise makes sense relative to the other player's remaining stack.