How donkey of a move is this?!?!

Happened a while ago…, home tournament game…, about 10 of you or so…, middle rounds with average stack of just over $1k@…, some players might even have a slight chip advantage on others but overall nothing too drastic…., blind levels are still manageable at $25/$50…,

The hand started with a few limpers and the person in MP (who’s table image seems to only play solid hands) raises to about 4x-5x BB. The entire table pretty much moans and groans here - automatically puts the player on an ace-high kicker (ie AJ or above) or possibly even mid-to-high PP (ie JJ-AA) depending on who you talk to. Lately however, you’ve been noticing him switch gears, taking advantage of his table image and playing the low-to-mid soooooted connector cards as if they were high PP. He then raises the blinds above his normal standard (like the one he’s doing now) hoping to scare everyone off.

So with that in mind you sit at LP with pocket 7s figuring you are probably ahead here so you just call hoping for the set and bust him out! Flop comes J-x-7 rainbow and you’re now thinking sweeeeet!!!! Without hesitation, MP goes immediately all-in on you and has you covered! You are now thinking WTF?!?!? Could you possibly have misread his play PF and are now facing a higher PP turned trips on the flop or would you still be thinking you are ahead here?!?! What are the chances?!?!

I essentially called PF thinking I was ahead and now seriously contemplating of folding the hand after getting what I want off the flop – how donkey of a move is this?!?!

Comments

• Think about it... why would he go all in if he had top set, the nuts on the flop? Now break your wrists calling before you get called a slow-rolling a*hole by the table.

/g2
  • MCflip73 wrote: »
    about 10 of you or so…, middle rounds with average stack of just over $1k@…, some players might even have a slight chip advantage on others but overall nothing too drastic…., blind levels are still manageable at $25/$50…,

The hand started with a few limpers and the person in MP (who’s table image seems to only play solid hands) raises to about 4x-5x BB. The entire table pretty much moans and groans here - automatically puts the player on an ace-high kicker (ie AJ or above) or possibly even mid-to-high PP (ie JJ-AA) depending on who you talk to. Lately however, you’ve been noticing him switch gears, taking advantage of his table image and playing the low-to-mid soooooted connector cards as if they were high PP. He then raises the blinds above his normal standard (like the one he’s doing now) hoping to scare everyone off.

So with that in mind you sit at LP with pocket 7s figuring you are probably ahead here so you just call hoping for the set and bust him out! Flop comes J-x-7 rainbow and you’re now thinking sweeeeet!!!! Without hesitation, MP goes immediately all-in on you and has you covered! You are now thinking WTF?!?!? Could you possibly have misread his play PF and are now facing a higher PP turned trips on the flop or would you still be thinking you are ahead here?!?! What are the chances?!?!

I essentially called PF thinking I was ahead and now seriously contemplating of folding the hand after getting what I want off the flop – how donkey of a move is this?!?!
    one a scale of 1 to 10, folding here would be an 11. you have about 20 BBs. you can't afford to call raises (in general) if you are going to hit a set and still fold

i love all the 'generalizations' here.
  • ^^^^^^
    What g2 said. I'm in there before his last chip hits the felt. If he hit a bigger set just bad luck.

More than likely TPTK or an overpair.
  • Snap call... how you can consider folding is definitely a donkey move as he wouldn't shove top set on a drawy board, esp if he has the tight image you talk about. I would put him on higher PP or AJ
  • Although I think flatting in this spot is spew, as played:

1) snap it off
    2) fist pumpfistpumpin.gif
  • Easy fold preflop.
    Easy call on the flop.