PP UTG. how do you play it?

i can't remember if this was a topic of dicussion before or not, but i'm curious as to how others would play out this scenario.

still early to middle rounds of an MTT. you're just above average stack with about 40 BBs. you're dealt a low PP UTG. for arguments sake let's say you have no reads on the table (just moved to it or whatever).

what is your normal course of action here? fold? limp in? raise? if raising, how much?

personally, i'm really undecided what the best play is. sometimes i'll limp and fold to a raise/reraise. sometimes i'll bet smallish (like 2.5 times BB) since that does build the pot a little and hitting my possible set becomes a little more profitable. sometimes i'll just fold and wait for a better opportunity. opinions please :)

Comments

• It really depends on the table and how limpable it is. I typically fold < 77 here. The only flop you like is one that gives you a set.

If you are going to call a raise, then you might as well raise yourself. It will at least help define the hands of those who call to at least having higher cards letting you fire out on a low flop. But early in an MTT, I am usually happy to just fold and wait for something bigger.

Late in an MTT or on an aggressive table I might push, 5x BB raise, etc.
  • It really depends on the table and how limpable it is. I typically fold < 77 here. The only flop you like is one that gives you a set.

If you are going to call a raise, then you might as well raise yourself. It will at least help define the hands of those who call to at least having higher cards letting you fire out on a low flop. But early in an MTT, I am usually happy to just fold and wait for something bigger.

Late in an MTT or on an aggressive table I might push, 5x BB raise, etc.

I would rather limp/fold....raising is not very good here as if you get re-raised you have undefined ranges...

The trend lately online has to limp UTG to slow the action because it looks like you are rep'ing a monster and are expecting to someone to go over the top. You may get a cheap look at a flop 4-5 handed and maybe bet into it and take it down.

But overall with no table reads and you being a fresh face anything under 77 as posted above I toss...
  • Like the others have said, limp, but if the cards are too low fold. Too many players to act after you and you aren't in the best position to set mine.
  • 40+bbs i'm not folding pps. What does 77 do for you that 22 doesn't early in an mtt?
  • raise 2.5x most of the time. What buy-in are we presuming?
  • It really depends on the table. If I have aggros behind I'm also folding <77. If the table is passive, I'll limp 50% raise 50% of the time. Raises usually 2-4XBB
  • Kristy_Sea wrote: »
    raise 2.5x most of the time. What buy-in are we presuming?

assuming lower level buy-ins. $5-$20.
  • actyper wrote: »
    40+bbs i'm not folding pps. What does 77 do for you that 22 doesn't early in an mtt?

yeah this was kind of my feelings on the matter. however, i was starting to think that this was a leak in my game a little.
  • Generic strategy at 40BBs, normal table: 75% fold, 15% limp, 10% raise.

Adjust according to your own table image, table pf aggression level, respect for flop bets, presence of short stacks, next blind level, bubble, etc.
  • Under your circumstances, my tendency with low PP is to simply limp and call standard raises with in the hopes of hitting the set. I’ll bet out on the flop if I need to in order to get additional info and/or to represent something but I’m pretty much on a check/fold mode if it doesn’t hit. If it does hit, then you can be more creative!