What’s the correct move here, if any…,

You find yourself heads-up with someone who you would classify as a chaser. You are out chipped by a convincing 4-1 margin (ie approx 12k vs 3k with blinds at 150-300). You look down at the dealer/small blind position to see 56s diamonds. You limped in and BB checks behind and both of you see the flop.

The community cards shows 4-7-8 with two diamonds giving you the straight and an inside straight flush draw possibility. BTW, I was able to check-raise in this situation and ship all the chips in after inducing a bet. BB shows J-7 with one diamond - so you all should know what next two suited cards are coming.

Firstly…, another player suggested going all-in PF vs limping in. Would you agree?!?!? Why or why not?!?! Secondly…, would you check-raise after the flop or just go all-in?!?! Why or why not?!?!

Regardless of the results, what would be the ”correct” move here if any?!?!

Comments

• limp if your opponent is passive preflop, otherwise i fold 6 high here...i never push here as you have no showdown value

c/r all in on flop if possible as too many cards kill your action on this board
  • If I'm reading this correctly, you got it all in with a huge hand heads-up.

You got your opponent to do what you wanted, no? To me, that's a successful play. Sounds like the results sucked for you....but that doesn't mean your play was incorrect.

I also don't see anything wrong with shipping it in preflop with suited connectors when you are at a big chip disadvantage, and have only 10xBB. But if you opponent is willing to let you limp, I also don't see a problem with that.

The question about check raising or going all-in once you see the flop....I think it depends on your opponent. With the made straight, I'm pretty sure you want all the money in the middle - based on what you know of your opponent, whatever you think will get him to ship his chips in is what you should do.

I think you played it fine, and he got lucky. It happens.
  • Getting it in preflop is easy to say after he flips over J7....figure at any point if you do get it in you are probably a 70/30 underdog (2 overs/overpair, etc).

The fact that you flop a straight with 2 diamonds on board should not deter you from getting your money into the middle. You have a made hand, he still is drawing.

With more tourney/play experience you will see this happen a lot more times, just evaluate your play that got you to that point, learning how to get to the end consistently will allow you to overcome these beats which are destined to show up every once in a while.

Never be upset when you got your money in when you had the best hand.
  • Looks to me like you played it perfectly just got unlucky.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    i never push here as you have no showdown value
    I strongly disagree. As ElElliott posted, going all-in with 65s with 10 BB left is a good option. In fact, as Bill Chen's Jam-or-Fold Table shows, 65s is a profitable jam for up to 29 BB. Even though 65s is an underdog against a random hand, what matters more is its equity against the range of hands with which the opponent will CALL.
  • I think you played it right. Limping in from the SB heads up against a player who will let you is never a bad move, your getting 3:1 so ALMOST any 2 cards are worth a look at the flop. However, against an aggressive opponent, I'm folding this hand PF.

How did you check raise from the button? Did I miss something?
  • MarcoGD wrote: »
    How did you check raise from the button? Did I miss something?

+1

but if you did find a super-secret-stars-is-rigged way to do it, why are you check-raising such a big hand?
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    I strongly disagree. As ElElliott posted, going all-in with 65s with 10 BB left is a good option. In fact, as Bill Chen's Jam-or-Fold Table shows, 65s is a profitable jam for up to 29 BB. Even though 65s is an underdog against a random hand, what matters more is its equity against the range of hands with which the opponent will CALL.

against a passive player in the first hand of a HU game I am never pushing 6 high (wiht extreme exceptions). 100bb isn't much but IMO it is enough to play against a passive preflop player. It is much different if the opponent is at a similar skill level as me and I need to make a desperate double-up to be in the game at all.
  • limp 10bb = bad imo
    Im jammin here every time with 15bb and lower.... i dont care who is in the blinds
  • wader wrote: »
    limp 10bb = bad imo
    Im jammin here every time with 15bb and lower.... i dont care who is in the blinds

ironic given your sig, no:)
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    ironic given your sig, no:)

lol......but at this point you have no play left so your gut has no say.
  • with these exact chip counts...12000 vs 3000...and the blinds at 150/300 i am almost in push/fold mode. Being heads up against a big stack out of position isnt good...calling is a mistake because it costs too much of your stack if he raises and you fold...pushing also probably is no good since he can afford to call and 56 doesnt play well hot and cold. If this is a full table u will can a few more free hands and u will still have enough money to put pressure on people. I would push in this situation with any pair...any A..or K6 or higher...high cards will play MUCH better here....i would fold QJ based on the same theory as the 56
  • with these exact chip counts...12000 vs 3000...and the blinds at 150/300 i am almost in push/fold mode. Being heads up against a big stack out of position isnt good...calling is a mistake because it costs too much of your stack if he raises and you fold...pushing also probably is no good since he can afford to call and 56 doesnt play well hot and cold. If this is a full table u will can a few more free hands and u will still have enough money to put pressure on people. I would push in this situation with any pair...any A..or K6 or higher...high cards will play MUCH better here....i would fold QJ based on the same theory as the 56

You're ALMOST in Push fold mode? Heads up, you are playing from the blinds every hand remember, so words like orbits no longer have any relavance(which you address). You're paying 450 chips every two hands, I'm pushing pretty much anything at this point, unless my opponent has given me some reason to believe he'll let me steal blinds with min raises.

Fold J/Q? Why? It has an excellent chance of being the best hand heads up.
  • 10bb or less heads up I only have 2 moves, shove or check. Though I will also call in the BB with the intentions of stopping and going. This is provided I am out severely outchipped. If we both have around 10bb or even if he's only 2:1 its not a shove/fold situation for me.
  • dinobot wrote: »
    You're ALMOST in Push fold mode? Heads up, you are playing from the blinds every hand remember, so words like orbits no longer have any relavance(which you address). You're paying 450 chips every two hands, I'm pushing pretty much anything at this point, unless my opponent has given me some reason to believe he'll let me steal blinds with min raises.

Fold J/Q? Why? It has an excellent chance of being the best hand heads up.

I am assuming that we are at a full table 7-9ppl. If you fold u have just enough money to put pressure on others...and u may still pick up somewhat of a real hand...JQ and lower wont play well against the big stack if called...u will probably be dominated or only a slight fav or dog...but very rarly a decent favorite....added to the fact that there is a good chance he will call...this isnt the spot i would what to risk going bust...if he had a somewhat more equal stack i may push since he would be much less willing to call even with better hand like QK JK A8-
  • I am assuming that we are at a full table 7-9ppl. If you fold u have just enough money to put pressure on others...and u may still pick up somewhat of a real hand...JQ and lower wont play well against the big stack if called...u will probably be dominated or only a slight fav or dog...but very rarly a decent favorite....added to the fact that there is a good chance he will call...this isnt the spot i would what to risk going bust...if he had a somewhat more equal stack i may push since he would be much less willing to call even with better hand like QK JK A8-

Based on OP, I thought it was a heads up situation......as in only two players remaining.