So Many Draws, then an Unlucky River - PLO

What would you do differently here.... it took me a long time to call that river bet and I knew there was only 1 hand better.... unfortunately he hit the higher straight (Thanks Wetts!):

PokerStars Game #17089129296: Omaha Pot Limit ($1/$2) - 2008/04/29 - 20:41:09 (ET)
Table 'Ornamenta II' 6-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: thesp ($105.70 in chips)
Seat 2: jtkf_gawd ($97 in chips)
Seat 3: closemaster ($118.70 in chips)
Seat 4: inciteful ($47.25 in chips)
Seat 5: R.Federaise ($329.80 in chips)
Seat 6: RiskyBizz33 ($268.45 in chips)
inciteful: posts small blind $1
R.Federaise: posts big blind $2
jtkf_gawd: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to closemaster [9s 7s Jc Ac]
RiskyBizz33: folds
thesp: folds
jtkf_gawd: checks
closemaster: raises $6 to $8
inciteful: folds
R.Federaise: folds
jtkf_gawd: calls $6
*** FLOP *** [Th 8c 3s]
closemaster: bets $10
jtkf_gawd: calls $10
*** TURN *** [Th 8c 3s] [5s]
closemaster: bets $16
jtkf_gawd: calls $16
*** RIVER *** [Th 8c 3s 5s] [9c]
jtkf_gawd: bets $63 and is all-in
closemaster: calls $63
*** SHOW DOWN ***
jtkf_gawd: shows [4c 2d Jh Qh] (a straight, Eight to Queen)
closemaster: mucks hand
jtkf_gawd collected $194 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $197 | Rake $3
Board [Th 8c 3s 5s 9c]
Seat 1: thesp folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: jtkf_gawd showed [4c 2d Jh Qh] and won ($194) with a straight, Eight to Queen
Seat 3: closemaster (button) mucked [9s 7s Jc Ac]
Seat 4: inciteful (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: R.Federaise (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: RiskyBizz33 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comments

• Graham wrote: »
    unfortunately he hit the higher set:

[ ] hit a higher set
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    [ ] hit a higher set

Duh...im an idiot....straight :)
  • Other than that...he chased a bare gutter in Omaha. Turn helped (somewhat). Friends list?
  • Made some good notes on him and got him back a few hands later :D He is awful, plays every hand (raised or not) and I plan to leave the table with every dollar of his :)
  • Graham wrote: »
    What would you do differently here....

Fold preflop.
    I pretty much suck at Omaha, but I'm folding (maybe limping)

He check/called to the river and unless you figure him for a tricky player, you are losing.

PS, you should post the results in white.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Fold preflop.

He check/called to the river and unless you figure him for a tricky player, you are losing.

Really?.... so his call pre-flop + flop and turn calls were good in your opinion? I understand its not the greatest hand pre-flop but its double-suited with an ace and the rest of the hand is great for trapping... I would think 6-handed its not a terrible starting hand. I like bumping the pot with it pre-flop b/c i dont think someone would expect it and therefore it may be okay for a trap.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Fold preflop.

Never fold or limp preflop, always open for pot in that spot. I never open limp in 6max PLO -- much like holdem you make your money by deception, not by nut peddling. I open raise anything from low connected cards to big pairs in that spot.

I check behind on the turn with position.

Given your turn play the river is tricky in that you are typically representing a made hand in opponent's mind at this limit -- he likely puts you on a big pair the whole time, so his bet could be a smaller straight, the same straight, bigger straight or a set -- I likely call with no history on the opponent.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I check behind on the turn with position.

Very true... That is prob where it got costly, though how he called that bet with just a low straight draw and a gutshot is beyond me.
  • If you're going to bet the flop and turn bet full pot just like you (presumably) would with a big hand.
  • SirWatts wrote: »
    If you're going to bet the flop and turn bet full pot just like you (presumably) would with a big hand.

Very true...that was the other thing that I thought I made a big mistake on. All in all... that hand was poorly played and I deserve (to an extent) what happened on the river... just can't believe he called down with that.