6 max ranges (opening, 3-betting, calling)

It seems like this discussion might slowly boil over, so I'm going to start a new thread so that can stay on course.
actyper wrote: »
Its mostly your opening range which gets wider. For example I'm going to open Axs in MP SH, but prob not Axs in MP Full.
Redington wrote: »
I dont agree with this. I think if you are a very tight player you will have to increase your range but solid fundamental NL is still important.

Your range from Button will defintely be wider, but you will get into alot of trouble if you start playing j9s UTG.

Everything else you said is bang on.

I would copy and paste everything over but...lets start fresh.

With 6 max, the blinds go around faster, and it directly forces you to play more hands, therefore it correlates with opening your ranges for opening/calling/3-betting. Where do you draw the line (yourself, or in general) as to what is acceptable and what is too loose.

A few guidelines...

Do Ax play better as opener/flat-calling/3-betting against a random player as oppose to suited connector/1-gaper?

How often should you call on the button to an opening raise, with what hands?

With blinds that come around more often, what hands do you defend your blinds with?

Comments

• Open/3-bet any 2 cards. Except AA, call with that. You'll win millions.
  • How much do the relative values of hands change in 6max compared to full ring?

I'm guessing that suitedness and connectedness goes way down in value in 6-max compared to full ring since there are fewer players ... so you don't get the multiway pots that are good to draw to. So the full ring tactic of occasionally raising in early position with suited connectors is not a viable strategy.

So I'm guessing that high card values go up in value?
    AJo which is a trash hand in full ring becomes a good hand in 6 max??

Crap like KJo is playable in 6 max??
  • At low limit tables (NL200 and lower) open raise any pair, any mid to high suited connectors and 1 gap connectors, suited mid kings and up, any broadway cards, suited aces -- in all positions. 3 betting is rare at these limits and if people aren't going to 3 bet you then you disguise your entire range and maximize the chance of stacking players. If you are getting 3 bet often then adjust or course, if effective short stackers are there then adjust, etc... or just find better tables.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    At low limit tables (NL200 and lower) open raise any pair, any mid to high suited connectors and 1 gap connectors, suited mid kings and up, any broadway cards, suited aces -- in all positions. 3 betting is rare at these limits and if people aren't going to 3 bet you then you disguise your entire range and maximize the chance of stacking players. If you are getting 3 bet often then adjust or course, if effective short stackers are there then adjust, etc... or just find better tables.

Not adjusting your opening range for position is one of the worst mistakes someone can make when starting to play 6 max. The range you mention is a good opening range in the cut off and on the button but KTs and QTo should not be standard opens utg.
  • _obv_ wrote: »
    Not adjusting your opening range for position is one of the worst mistakes someone can make when starting to play 6 max. The range you mention is a good opening range in the cut off and on the button but KTs and QTo should not be standard opens utg.

completely disagree, I want to see as many flops as possible in low limit games, esp when there are large effective stacks. obv I adjust if I'm getting 3 bet often, but that simply doesn't happen in low limit, i understand your concern regarding dominated hands, but it's simply not that that difficult to get away from a top pair type hand at these limits based on post flop betting patterns.
    Not adjusting your opening range for position is one of the worst mistakes someone can make when starting to play 6 max.

ok, maybe this is true verbatim, but i'm not starting to play 6 max, i'm an experienced player...for someone switching to 6 max for the first time maybe stricter starting hand requirements should be adhered to, but NL isn't all about sticking to hand charts, esp when the stacks are 150bb+
  • I think you are greatly underestimating the amount of 3 betting going on at NL200 and NL100. It has been a while since I played these levels but when I was playing NL200 on full tilt 3 betting was a very common occurrence.

I do understand the reasoning for playing a lot of hands against weaker opponents but it really doesn't apply in this discussion since I think it is safe to assuming that if someone is asking about preflop opening and calling ranges that they are not skilled enough post flop to be playing this way.
  • I think the original question was dealing with standard play. 20% opening range in EP can't be considered standard, and we have to consider 100bbs as the norm.

I haven't played 100nl in a while, but I still play 200nl once in a while. There is a lot of 3betting going on, especially since I choose the high vpip high avg pot tables.
    I think you are greatly underestimating the amount of 3 betting going on at NL200 and NL100. It has been a while since I played these levels but when I was playing NL200 on full tilt 3 betting was a very common occurrence.

I totally agree here. It is common place to see 10-15 3 bet pots in a 100 hands at 50NL.

While GTA maybe comfortable opening his entire range from any seat at the table I think this is poor advice to a player starting out and I think it is easily exploitable in todays games.
  • westside8 wrote: »
    Do Ax play better as opener/flat-calling/3-betting against a random player as oppose to suited connector/1-gaper?

That is really a lot of questions but I will try and put some ideas in here:

The first thing is it is a matter of style. My style against unknowns is to open pretty wide in position and tightish out. I don't mind flatting raises when I am behind the PFR because I am confident in my post flop skills so I can wrestle a lot of pots away from people. My stats are like 20/13 preflop.

My 3 bet range against an unknown is like AJ+ and 99+ but will get wider or narrower as my read gets better. I will also throw in like 25% junk too. Not junk really but lower suited connectors like 78 or 65s to mix it up. When I bet the junkier hands I am trying to take it down pre-flop and build an image. If I can get a thinking type player to put my 3 bet range a lot wider than it is and start to push back. Then I can pick my spots to go after him.

I look at 3 betting in the light that big preflop hands are what you really want to take to war here. You are bloating the pot pre-flop which makes it easy to get it all in the middle on the flop or the turn. Going broke with AA or KK in 3 bet pots is OK, in raised pots not so much.

Connectors and gappers are fine for me in position. I prefer calling with them to keep the pot smaller so I can draw at my hands and set the price. You don't usually flop big with these hands. A big flop for 78S is like a big combo draw or a draw and a pair, you won't usually flop the nizzles so you are going to have to draw and this is much easier in position with a smaller pre-flop pot.

westside8 wrote: »
    How often should you call on the button to an opening raise, with what hands?

Depends. Are you comfortable floating and bluffing? If so play a huge range. If you are more of a value guy just stick to the hands that are ahead of your opponents range and the PP's that you can flop a set with.

westside8 wrote: »
    With blinds that come around more often, what hands do you defend your blinds with?

This really depends on who is raising and from where. I need a damn fine hand or a pair to call a raise from UTG or MP unless they are spewy. If the raise is from LP I need a lot less. I like to call raises by the positional abusers on the button and check raise them on the flop or the turn alot. So many of these guys open every button and c-bet every flop. This slows them down a bit and is an alternative to 3 betting them OOP.

Out of the blinds my 3 bet range is tight. AK, AQs, 99+ and not much more. The range is about the same for raising out of the blinds. Even hands like KQ I am just calling with and trying to get to a cheap showdown. You will win more money with that type of hand if you play it passively OOP and you will not be putting yourself in the shitty situation (you will be in shitty situations when you raise it and play a big pot).
  • cadillac wrote: »
    Out of the blinds my 3 bet range is tight. AK, AQs, 99+ and not much more. The range is about the same for raising out of the blinds. Even hands like KQ I am just calling with and trying to get to a cheap showdown. You will win more money with that type of hand if you play it passively OOP and you will not be putting yourself in the shitty situation (you will be in shitty situations when you raise it and play a big pot).

That is pretty much my range as well for the blinds. Never a big fan of big pot, oop, easily dominated hands play.
  • i got pawn losing $175 doing 100NL 6max yesturday
    I like to ask when doing 3bet/4bet and 5 bet shovel
    do you take showdown win% as consideration?
    i am having trouble with vpip 50+ pfr 33 3bet 18 wtsd 40% and w$sd 65%
    he nail me 4 time
    AA vs KK twice preflop all-in
    KK vs QQ
    Ad2d vs KsQs
    Villian raise MP, I 3bet on the BTN. he call.
    Flop
    JsTc2s.
    Villain lead out, I push all-in with my combo draw + two over.
    Villian call, and his pair holdup.
    now, i think back, with his stats, he won 65% showdown. that mean he is on a heater, my mistake is not taking that into consideration?
    sample size is 120 hand.
  • I don't think him being on a heater is anything to take into consideration.

W$SD is a good stat to used when contemplating a tough call deeper in a hand. You need a pretty damn good sample size though, I would say at least 1000 hands.

Sounds like you hit a bit of a cool stretch. I would drop a level at least if you are moving to 6 max from FR. At least for a short bit.

good-luck-chuck-poster-2.jpg
  • cadillac wrote: »
    I don't think him being on a heater is anything to take into consideration.

W$SD is a good stat to used when contemplating a tough call deeper in a hand. You need a pretty damn good sample size though, I would say at least 1000 hands.

Sounds like you hit a bit of a cool stretch. I would drop a level at least if you are moving to 6 max from FR. At least for a short bit.

good-luck-chuck-poster-2.jpg

hehehe
    nice pics
    I did 50NL 6max when i go on bonuswhoring. with winrate 17PTBB/100. i just crush the games like taking candy from kids.
    Given that 50NL 6max and euro site is not as tough as FTP and 100NL 6max.
    I feel this is game i can beat, but any tips is welcome for a FR player making transfer to 6max.
    Cad: if you haven't try the euro site.......Prima/microgaming.
    there is not TAG, there is no LAG
    only NIT and DONK
    but of course, this is at 50NL level...lol