Rollercoaster Of Emotion

"Welcome to the Great Canadian Heart Breaker" - Please remain seated and keep your hands inside the ride at all times......and enjoy your ride."

So All_aces, Azimk and myself entered a $500 + $250 re-buy/add-on tourney last night. "My big kick at the can" before my sabbatical. 70 players, first place paid $20,000!!! Starting chips count was 3K and the add-on gave you 6K. I was getting rags for the first 3 hours and only got in on four hands, managed to win 3 and take my chip count up to 16K. The blinds were getting pretty aggressive at 1K/2K, so I had to start making some moves if I wanted to make the final table. 35 players left in the game. I was dealt 88 in late position to the right of the button. Mid position limped in and it was folded to me. I've played against the limper before, and I know him to play very marginal hands. I have him covered in chips by about 3K, so I decide to push it all-in and either pick up the 5K or maybe have him call with a QJ or KJ and hope my 88 holds up. So I move all in, and to my dismay the SB calls with 15.5K.......as does the limper. There's 47.5K in the pot, but I'm not looking good with two callers. We flip our cards and SB shows QQ....mid position shows K9d. My heart sinks at the sight of the QQ and the ride begins. Flop comes 8,9,10.....even though QQ still has 9 outs, my heart jumps for joy as the roller coaster picks up speed!!! Turn comes a 10......QQ's down to 3 outs. I ignore the earlier cautions to 'remain seated' and I jump up and 'throw my hands outside the ride' in blissful joy!!!!!!!!!! And the river.................a 10!!!! QQ takes the pot and I go from first place in the hand, all the way to last.....even the K9 beats me!! I'm left with 500 in chips. I'm out of the tournament the next hand.

So I'm trying to be as philosophical about this as possible. I posted earlier in the week that I knew last night would be it for a month or two. After thinking it through, if I was going to go out, I would rather go out on a hand like that, than have just played poorly and been outplayed. I think it was a perfect sign for me to take a break and come back in a couple months.

What do you guys think......did I play the hand wrong.....what could I have done different?

BTW - some congrats go out to All_aces who managed to place 4th out of a field of 70 players. Azim and I were cheering him on the whole way. Nice job Aces!

Comments

• What a brutal hand. Having the SB wake up with QQ was just bad luck, and that shouldn't take away from the fact that you made a great read on MP and acted on it. And, of course, the fact that you went from second-best preflop, to best on the flop, to REALLY best on the turn, to dead last on the river makes the title of this thread resonate all the more.

As Azim pointed out to me last night, if you had won that hand you would have been up to about 50K, which is what I had at that point in the tournament.... a better-than-average stack, and who knows what could have happened from there. Poker can be really frustrating sometimes. I think you'll enjoy your break... ;)

Azim, AcesFull, and myself made a deal before we started last night that if any of the three of us finished 1st or 2nd, he'd give the other two guys 1K each. It's too bad I didn't quite make it there... it would have been nice to have won that much money for myself, but in a way, it would have been even nicer to be able to come through for you guys. Ah well...

Enjoy the break from poker, but don't be a stranger.

Cheers,
    all_aces

ps: As an aside, Azim was hilarious last night. While you were playing the 20/40, he was watching me in the tournament. He was 6 feet away, and he always knew how much I had. Sharp dealer's eyes... I'd walk over and say 'how much do I have' and then he'd tell me. I'd walk back, count it, and surprise surprise, he'd be right lol.
  • I thought I might as well let you all know how I busted out!

First of all, 10 minutes into the tourney I am dealt QQ (25/50) in MP, I raise to 300, button makes it 900 and I go all in for 2925. He calls faster than I can put my chips in! He turns over AJ and you guessed it! Ace on the river. REBUY!!

Nothing till the rebuy period is over so I add-on and have about 8800 (100/200). Nothing for 20 minutes. But guy in seat 1 is hitting everything. In 4 hands he gets AA, KK, AK & AQ.

Antes are now 200/400. I get 88 and limp in early position. No raise and 4 players see the flop. 10 2 2. I am first so I go all in for 6850 fold, fold and Seat 1 calls, quick as a flash with Q9!!! no flush draw, probably thought I had crap and his Q high was good (and probably playing his rush). Well, you geussed it again, 9 on the turn and its an early shower for me.

So me and AcesFull both went out on 88 but his story was far more dramatic.

The rest of the night was spent cheering on Devin. Congrats on the 4th place finish, wish it was 2nd!!!

Laters
    Azim
    TPR
  • I laid down AJ twice and AQ (sooooted!!!) twice. I'm really starting to take to heart the old adage that 'if you can't sometimes lay down the best hand, you won't win the tournament'. I worry that I may be getting excessively tight, but then I think of hands like the 4-way pot last night where I had Js9s on a board of AhAd5c7d, and took it down... ;) I also think of a 2K bluff that didn't work. Oh well, you can't win them all.

I can't believe that guy called off his stack at the 25/50 level with AJ. Sheesh. That Q9 hand was brutal too. The more I think about it, the more I liked my starting table. As Johnny Chan says: 'you can't bluff a sucker', and there weren't many of them at my table, and that suited me just fine.
    Congrats on the 4th place finish, wish it was 2nd!!!
    Me too man.

Cheers,
    all_aces