general hand value question

this is a general opinion question. assume middle rounds of an MTT, you're around average stack of let's say 25-ish BBs. you're dealt A10o. how do you value this hand in EP/MP/LP? are you playing this like a premium hand? for arguments sake in all cases let's say the action is folded to you. also assume the players at the table are a sampling of all varieites.

more specifically, are you almost always raising with this hand? folding? calling (just thinking of flat calling the BB with this hand makes me cringe)? i think i'm too tight in my play with A10o. just wanted to hear some other opinions on the matter.

Comments

• In an unopened pot, in late position, I'm probably raising this hand a lot of the time. 2.5 to 3x the BB. In early to middle position, and in late position if the pot has already been opened, I'm pretty much always folding this hand.
  • thanks for the opinion dino. i guess no one else has one...
  • Pretty well agree with Dino here, cept maybe at a real tight table I may open from mid position as well, especially if I haven't played a pot in a while.
  • You will hate my cliche answer but it is really read dependant. If you have been showing down quality hands and have a tight aggressive image you may be able to get away with raising 2-3x BB to take down the pot preflop.

However in mid stages of a tourney if you are healthy I may limp to play small ball in position to see if i can pick up some cheap blinds to a 1 or 2 barrell bluff/semi bluff. At this point with you limping with A10 you have to figure your range is greater than those just calling or completing the blinds.
  • No reason to get tricky here, if you're in late position put in a standard raise. It all comes down to how comfortable you are playing certain hands and what your postflop play is like. Lets assume the flop comes down A 9 3 rainbow and its checked to you and you lead out and get checkraised. Can you make the proper read? Can you get away from your hand?
  • Fold, fold, and . . . uh . . . FOLD. Unless we're talking about a weak tight table, and some of the scenarios mentioned previous. A/10 is a stack-killer. I hate to see it anywhere prior to the bubble being burst. And I don't much like it after that, either.
  • I agree with a fold. A10 off is not that strong of a hand UTG or EP. If you were LP or CO then I would say go ahead and atleast call, maybe even raise if you like.
  • Here's a novel way of approaching this. Your cards (i.e. hand value) only matter when you have to show them down. See if you can work that into your thinking on this question.
  • m_dolens wrote: »
    this is a general opinion question. assume middle rounds of an MTT, you're around average stack of let's say 25-ish BBs. you're dealt A10o. how do you value this hand in EP/MP/LP? are you playing this like a premium hand? for arguments sake in all cases let's say the action is folded to you. also assume the players at the table are a sampling of all varieites.

more specifically, are you almost always raising with this hand? folding? calling (just thinking of flat calling the BB with this hand makes me cringe)? i think i'm too tight in my play with A10o. just wanted to hear some other opinions on the matter.

How an amateur like myself would play it...,

Standard 2.5x raise atleast is my first option (especially if I am first to the pot) to try and win it there. Reason: The hand still carries weight in my opinion but it is dangerous to play post flop so try to end it as quickly as possible and don't invest too much!

I would flat out call just about any other scenario unless it is raised then you can pretty much talk yourself to folding this hand. I would always like to see a flop if I can and go from there.

To me, it's safe to assume that if you hit 10,x,x (tp) that you most likely have the best hand unless of course, someone hits two low pairs or a low pair turned set. Don't like to see paint cards unless there's 3 of them in succession. And if no body raised the pot, you pretty much have everyone else out kicked with your 10 if an A hits the board unless of course someone already has two pairs or a low set. If you are drawing to the flush, make sure it's the A and not the 10. My simple rule and if it's not anyone of the scenarios above, I am folding that shit.

Comments welcome to add to my repetoire!
  • m_dolens wrote: »

How an amateur like myself would play it...,

Standard 2.5x raise atleast is my first option (especially if I am first to the pot) to try and win it there. Reason: The hand still carries weight in my opinion but it is dangerous to play post flop so try to end it as quickly as possible and don't invest too much!

I would flat out call just about any other scenario unless it is raised then you can pretty much talk yourself to folding this hand. I would always like to see a flop if I can and go from there.

To me, it's safe to assume that if you hit 10,x,x (tp) that you most likely have the best hand unless of course, someone hits two low pairs or a low pair turned set. Don't like to see paint cards unless there's 3 of them in succession. And if no body raised the pot, you pretty much have everyone else out kicked with your 10 if an A hits the board unless of course someone already has two pairs or a low set. If you are drawing to the flush, make sure it's the A and not the 10. My simple rule and if it's not anyone of the scenarios above, I am folding that shit.

Comments welcome to add to my repetoire!