What would you do?

Ok, I don't have the hand history here because it was on a game I was watching. But basically, it was a SNG, 10$. The hero was the big blind, twice the short stack about 1/5 big stack(who is the sb), 3 players in total. So his cards dealt are AhQs. UTG raised 3 times pot, sb raises hero to around 2/3 his entire stack. Short stack was fairly tight, made a few pretty bad calls though, and big stack was betting like crazy here trying to push people off blinds. The hero folded here, opting to fight another day. What was the right call here?

Comments

• fitty wrote: »
    Ok, I don't have the hand history here because it was on a game I was watching. But basically, it was a SNG, 10$. The hero was the big blind, twice the short stack about 1/5 big stack(who is the sb), 3 players in total. So his cards dealt are AhQs. UTG raised 3 times pot, sb raises hero to around 2/3 his entire stack. Short stack was fairly tight, made a few pretty bad calls though, and big stack was betting like crazy here trying to push people off blinds. The hero folded here, opting to fight another day. What was the right call here?
    It's pretty hard to interpret this. I would need to know what hero's calling odds were. However, it seems to me that if SB has been doing this a lot, then AQ is a pretty decent hand to call with.

However, this is a re-raise by SB so it might be a narrower range than an open raise. How often has SB been trying to resteal or re-raise?
  • fitty wrote: »

I am assuming this is a 6 handed STT.

This is EXACTLY what you can take advantage of in HBL bubble play. Because someone is so scared of not squeaking into the money they make a glaring mistake like folding AQ here.

His strategy was to not play any hands until the small stack busted. If you were running bad and really needed the money then you could make an arguement for this play, but then you are letting your bankroll make -EV decisions.

Against a wide opening range AQ is so easily best and this gives a chance to double up and look for the win in this tournament not just folding to the money and going in with a 4-1 chip defecit.

So you push it all in PF, if not at least calling and then pushing post flop.