i suck at bubble

Granted, I got a phone call i could not avoid taking while this hand took place so was not thinking.

3 left, 2 paid. blinds 200/400, . BB is big stack with 4500+ I'm SB with 3000 or so and button is small with 1500, playing tight as hell.

I get QQ, and raise to 1000, big stack calls. flop 2j5 2 diamonds
he best 400 and i shove. he calls with J5 and i bubble.

obviously my brain wasn't working, it was probably an easy shove, but is there a time when folding this is the play? try to work on the small stack to get ITM rather than risking all your chips at the chip leader with QQ?

Comments

• thathoser wrote: »
    Granted, I got a phone call i could not avoid taking while this hand took place so was not thinking.

3 left, 2 paid. blinds 200/400, . BB is big stack with 4500+ I'm SB with 3000 or so and button is small with 1500, playing tight as hell.

obviously my brain wasn't working, it was probably an easy shove, but is there a time when folding this is the play? try to work on the small stack to get ITM rather than risking all your chips at the chip leader with QQ?

Humm, fold 7 hands and you probably get in the money if the button doesn't pick up a pot.

Are you playing for 1st or 2nd?
    How much were the prizes?
    Time to crank up the icm calculator.
  • Your M=5, his is only like 7-8, push preflop, if he calls you with J,5 normally you cripple him and take the win.... Even if he folds you take the 600 and are close to him in chips. Can't be results orientated.. If you push and he shows you his cards you beg him to call, right? Go for win, always. It will pay off in the long run...
  • These spots are often where I find myself, second place in chips and 1 away from the money. It seems the poker gods love giving me very strong hands and tempting me to play them.

The biggest problem is (imo) playing to make the money. You should be trying to continue building your chip stack, and QQ and only facing 1 hand is an instant push. Why give him a chance to call with a weak Ace and get lucky on the flop?

However this often means I go from second in chips to out 4th because I continue to push in these spots and the players at the level I play at don't fold. They will call with A9 and spike both on the flop, or hit an A on the river.

There are times where I think a re-raise gives me the same leverage, but in fact it just allows him to call with more mediocre hands and offers the chance to draw out on me (ESPECIALLY with hands like AK and AQ, don't know how many times I've seen players push and get called by JT and a T on the flop kills them).
  • prizes are 11.7 and 6.3 fr second.

what is icm calculator?
  • The corect play is to push preflop, a knowledgeable player will not give you credit for anything out of the SB and call with >75+ equity hands.

A fancy play would be to call know that the BB would push.

As it is you gave >2-1 on his call so he was absolutley correct to call with his hand. Im pretty sure you werent doing this on purpose so it is a glaring leak.

Unless you have a massive stack (at least 2-1 over next stack) you DO NOT tighten up in a SitNGo. Bubble play is one of the best places to pick up chips, as alot of players do tighten up looking to limp into the money.

If you have a super aggressive table, then you can afford to wait and let people get knocked out. This really only works when you have 3 Aggro's PFR of 45+ , other wise you want to control the action and suck up the blinds like a hoover.
  • Definitely push preflop.

/g2
  • Raise to 2400 preflop, put the rest in on the flop.

Seriously, he might call 2K more and then fold the flop unimproved, I've seen stranger shit happen.
  • I can sympathize, having bubbled in my last two (live) tourneys. God it sucks to bubble.
  • thathoser wrote: »

Unless the reaching the money is very important to you (which is usually only in the case where you are in a tourney that is much, much bigger than you normally play), then play normally except for adjustments to others who are playing differently because of the bubble. And there are two types of those people, ones who tighten up and ones who realize that and steal much lighter. So this is a time for steals and resteals.

We all began as results-oriented players and many of us still are. We get our money in with the best of it and get drawn out on. Bubbling is no different. In your example there is no reason to figure in the bubble situation so the normal play is to shove. If anything, big stack might figure you for a steal and call with a lesser hand.

Instead of looking at missing the money, look at the outcome that would happen most of the time. You would have 6000 and be against two stacks of 1500. If the play that would happen most of the time is favourable, then that's the play you should go for.

And really, your play of raising 1000 isn't that bad. But you said he bet 400. Did you check the flop? That wasn't so good. If you are not going to shove preflop here then the next best move is a stop and go. So go ahead and raise and then shove any flop.
  • You gotta push here. Big pocket pair with a pot already 20% of your current stack size..easy decision here. With the shove, I highly doubt the big stack is going to call with J5.