Short Handed AKo

Saw this theoritical hand on another site, and not sure I agree with their actions. Would like to know what others think.

Shorthanded limit game, 6 players, hero is UTG with AKo, raises
Called by button and big blind.

Flop comes K92, 2 clubs and a heart. BB checks, hero bets, gets raised by button. BB folds.

Hero's action? and please describe why? I'll post the other sites' answer after a couple of posts, but I'm curious what others here are going to do.

Comments

• There is no way to answer this question with the information given.

- button's tendencies? (aggressive / trappy / maniac)
    - stack sizes?
    - Tourney or cash game?

Given what I *DO* have, I would likely re-pop it to see if he smooth calls / re-pops again. If he calls, I get wary, he re-pops i throw it away to the successful set mining... Of course, this depends on that stuff above.

Mark
  • Raise for sure. Usually don't see a set raise until the turn. If I was the button I would raise there with any K, any 9, flush draw. I'd pretty much play AK pretty strong in this spot.
  • Other than being a cash game, you got all the info made available. Like I said, this is a THEORITICAL hand, so just assume ABC style of play.
  • I was hoping for some more opinions before posting the answer, but c'est le vie I guess.

For the record, I personally would pump it as well, and build a bigger pot.

here's the 'correct' answer:

"Call, for now. In a full game, we have been advocating raising with top pair, top kicker especially in raised pots when there are two-flushes and cards in the playing zone like king-nine. But in a shorthanded game, the likelihood of your lone opponent having a drawing hand is less than normal. For example, with this flop, it is less likely that your opponent has two clubs and is on a draw when he was one of only five players dealt in than if he was one of ten players dealt in. Your top pair, top kicker is a powerful holding in a shorthanded setting like this. Furthermore, this is now a heads-up situation, so there are no other opponents to eliminate by raising. Plan on pulling the trigger after he bets the turn."

While I agree with the last part, I don't necessarily agree with the cold call up front. I'm looking to either take down the pot now and give my opponent a chance to catch a club draw or to improve to 2pr with a 9x holding.

Opinions on the formal answer?
  • STR82ACE wrote: »
    Saw this theoritical hand on another site, and not sure I agree with their actions. Would like to know what others think.

Shorthanded limit game, 6 players, hero is UTG with AKo, raises
    Called by button and big blind.
    POT=6sb
    Flop comes K92, 2 clubs and a heart. BB checks, hero bets, gets raised by button. BB folds.
    POT=9sb...
    Hero's action? and please describe why? I'll post the other sites' answer after a couple of posts, but I'm curious what others here are going to do.

Why you don't repop the flop

Betting out on the flop tells the button... *nothing* about your hand.

Re-raising 1sb into a 9sb will let your opponent call with .... any draw...

So why bet here? It won't protect your hand...

Check raising on the turn will force him to call a Big bet into a 5.5 bb pot ...

Is it okay to give a cheap card here?

Yup..

Not too much can come .... an A is an overcard but you have one... a JQT can come giving a straight but not too much chance of that...

you're foregoing a sb on the flop to try for 2 big bets on the turn.

If the villain is passive you can bet out on the turn ... earning 1 big bet rather than a small bet.

Is this a free card play? You're less likely to run into that in a 6max game...
  • Makes sense
  • By the way, I really hate the cold call preflop too.
    Maybe cold call with AQs? KQs? AJs?
    Maybe... nah...
  • I think up front meaning post flop, pre would just be pansy ass with any of those holdings.
  • By the way, what's everyone's cold calling range on the button from an UTG raise in 6-max?

It's probably pretty small.... right?
  • 0%. I don't cold call on the button
  • actyper wrote: »
    I think up front meaning post flop, pre would just be pansy ass with any of those holdings.

Cold calling the raise post flop, yes. I'm still not sure a call is the 'more correct' answer at this stage. My preference is to come back with a re raise and make him pay to draw out on me. Still, I do see the validity of the call...get more bang for the buck on the turn bet, but I would prefer the re raise.