Med pp in EP

Table has gotten very raise/fold preflop. Rarely see a showdown.

PokerStars Game #16569850304: Tournament #83910651, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level V (75/150) - 2008/04/08 - 00:09:25 (ET)
Table '83910651 3' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: gethemoneyup (620 in chips)
Seat 2: prettyfly13 (2295 in chips)
Seat 3: mejung (3900 in chips)
Seat 4: DRINKURBLOOD (1740 in chips)
Seat 5: Lil Chica XX (3110 in chips)
Seat 6: iplay2live (4510 in chips)
Seat 8: James295 (1560 in chips)
Seat 9: JollietJake (3085 in chips)
mejung: posts small blind 75
DRINKURBLOOD: posts big blind 150
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JollietJake [8s 8d]
Lil Chica XX: calls 150
iplay2live: folds
James295: folds
JollietJake: calls 150
gethemoneyup: raises 470 to 620 and is all-in
prettyfly13: folds
mejung: calls 545
DRINKURBLOOD: folds
Lil Chica XX: folds
JollietJake: ?

Re-push? Call? Fold?

Comments

• Personally, if I'm going to come in with a short stack to act still, I'd raise...

In this case, and it causes cancer, I would min raise... but there's a reason!!

When / if he pushes, I can repop any callers to isolate. Further, if he folds and anyone else re-pushes / calls, I didn't invest that much yet.

Given your limp? and the fact the other fella called? I'd likely call here, try to set mine the other caller or check it down.

Mark
  • I don't really understand the flat call by mejung. I suspect he is on a similar hand to what you have, an Ax (where X is somewhat weak) or he is trying some weird kind of trap.

Like Mark said you can call and try to set mine the flop, but you have to pretty much fold to any bet or hope it gets checked through (so it seems like a pretty bad play at this point) or you can fold. So, if this player is aggressive in the slightest you should fold. If they are more passive (which it seems by them just smooth calling) you could take a gamble and make the call.

If it were me, I would lean towards fold at this point as you don't have much invested, and you have two players that are either better than you, or have good % to outdraw you on the board. I don't mind set mining if you can get in really cheap, but thats a decent amount of your stack to call in hopes of hitting a small number of outs. I would wait for a better hand to make a move with at this point.
  • Given the texture of the table, I was waiting for someone to pop it for a small raise, then I fully intended to push and race. But then when the other guy flat calls I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to push from my position and end up with multiple callers.

He did play A5, spiked an A on the flop and pushed, so I guess I got away for the min here.

In the end, I made the final tbl, then busted when AdQc < As4s - 2d3d4dKc8h
  • You are in this situation because you limped with a medium pocket pair in EP with ~21BB in your stack. You don't have the implied odds to set mine here so you are in a pickle. If you had 50BBs, you could easily call this. I would consider your first play of limping to be a mistake and would fold to avoid compounding that mistake.

Think of how calling this could work out. The flop will likely come with overcards and you will likely check. If the overcard hits either all-in guy or the other one you likely will not win this hand since you will have two outs. If the overcard misses and the flop is checked, now this next card can improve somebody else but not likely you.

Shoving here I believe is slightly better than calling. Although it is highly risky. I would really need a good read on those other two guys in the hand. You do have enough chips to have some fold equity and a loss to the all-in guy costs you the exact same as a loss by calling not winning the pot.

This would have turned out a lot different if you had raised to 450 preflop and probably would have been a better outcome. If one of those other two 3000 stacks were trapping, they would likely not just re-raise your UTG raise and you could probably fold comfortably. If they were fishing with medium hands, you would have either won the blinds here or been head up with all-in guy.
  • I don't like the smooth call by the other big stack....even not knowing ranges I have to give him credit for at least a big A (AJ or A10) or 99-JJ.....

I have seen this many times where people don't know if they are ahead or behind so instead of folding they call and hope they hit.

In this situation I lead out for 3x the BB, with a short stack shoving it will definitely slow down the action behind you and you may find the other big stack does not call.

The limp with 88 looks like you are trying to see a flop for cheap and like previous posters have pointed out it gets you into a sticky situation.

You have a nice stack at that point, don't be afraid to use it.