QQ on BB only SB check

Do you play this differently? Should I have called and give him a chance to hit soemthing? His call screams weakness...

PokerStars Game #16556143962: Tournament #83594136, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2008/04/07 - 13:49:03 (ET)
Table '83594136 191' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: FrEnChYnUtS (1405 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 2: answer03 (3205 in chips)
Seat 3: zligri (12703 in chips)
Seat 4: wingz79 (1540 in chips)
Seat 5: InsaneGuy (6815 in chips)
Seat 6: betkarma (3195 in chips)
Seat 7: xturk (4052 in chips)
Seat 8: Irie Inity (7530 in chips)
Seat 9: interiste (2880 in chips)
wingz79: posts small blind 50
InsaneGuy: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to InsaneGuy [Qs Qh]
betkarma: folds
xturk: folds
Irie Inity: folds
interiste: folds
FrEnChYnUtS: folds
answer03: folds
zligri: folds
wingz79: calls 50
InsaneGuy: raises 200 to 300
wingz79: folds
InsaneGuy collected 200 from pot
InsaneGuy: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 200 | Rake 0
Seat 1: FrEnChYnUtS folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: answer03 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: zligri (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: wingz79 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: InsaneGuy (big blind) collected (200)
Seat 6: betkarma folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: xturk folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Irie Inity folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: interiste folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comments

• I hate checking with strong hands, but thats just me. For example, if the flop comes K 9 4 and he check raises you, how far are you willing to go. At least by betting a little pre-flop I find it gives you some idea on what kind of hand they might be on (though unlikely). I personally like to be consistent so its hard for them to tell whether I am just stealing some blinds, or if I actually have a hand. Good question though, I would be interested to hear what some of the other people here have to say about this one.
  • Early in a tourney, no need to get fancy (fps). Just raise it up like you did.
  • That's what I though... thks for the input !
  • Here are the things I consider in this situation:

1. I tend to bet for value if he is loose, espeicailly if he is loose passive.

2. Against a very aggressive opponent I might check here and start a war on the flop, regardless of what it is. (the favourable chip stacks allow this)

3. If he is going to call/fold your raise, then start doing it with any two cards.

4. Relative stack size is important. If very deep, I usually play straight and raise for value. If somebody is short, I might do a sort of stop-n-go. Depends somewhat on above factors.

5. I consider my table image and my image in the eyes of SB here. You have a ton of chips so are people afraid of you at this point? If they've been taking shots at you and you have had the goods he may take a shot at you on the flop. If they have been running for the hills then your raise will likely never be called.

6. What has transipired in previous blind vs blind confontations?

7. Are you going to be able to get him to bluff if he misses?

Also consider how mixing up your play affects the other players. Say you called here and he hit top pair on the flop with a hand like JT. If you end up taking him out everyone is going to see your QQ and be even more afraid of you. They will not mess with you unless they have a hand. That is a very position to be in.

Generally, I don't like messing around with QQ. However, this is heads up and even losing a pot here is not the end of the world. If there was ever a place for monkey business, this might be it.

As an exercise, play the player, not your cards here. Would that change anything for you?
  • This is how I play this scenero for AA, KK and QQ in the BB. If small just calls I also check to let them catch up. I found that over-all it is better to take risk with premium hands than to raise and make very little.
  • I don't like the bet size. I'd rather play small ball here.
    I think making it 150 to 200 to go would be better.
    Making it 300 makes a pot of 600 leaving him 1240 and change so it's probably pretty scary to him to commit his stack.

I like a bet size of about 150 makes a pot of 300.
    You have position so you can afford to play small ball and not force a pot commit decision preflop.
  • Sven wrote: »
    This is how I play this scenero for AA, KK and QQ in the BB. If small just calls I also check to let them catch up. I found that over-all it is better to take risk with premium hands than to raise and make very little.

Only recommended if you have the capability to fold on an ugly board. Also negates your right to complain about aces getting cracked by 3-8.

I like the raise because it identifies a range.
  • Yup, I like the smaller bet in the 200-300 range on the flop. You don't check.
  • By the way...

Unless you have evidence to the contrary your raising range is .... 23o or 27o and up right?????

Right????... ... with a sb limp... autoraise pretty much any two...

If he's tight or defends well, your range would be Q5o+ right?

You would bet with 23o... so you don't want to bet too big with QQ+ right?

Comments?
  • By the way...

Unless you have evidence to the contrary your raising range is .... 23o or 27o and up right?????

Right????... ... with a sb limp... autoraise pretty much any two...

If he's tight or defends well, your range would be Q5o+ right?

You would bet with 23o... so you don't want to bet too big with QQ+ right?

Comments?

Makes sense ... but doesn't a raise there screams "I'm stealing call me" ?
  • I guess I shouldn't say just check. My action really depends on the player that limped in. I may check a tight player and raise a loose player who calls everything. I just want to make sure I get some value for my premiun hand and therefore I am willing to take some risk with a preflop call.

Same situation goes for AA under the gun on a very tight table I will just limp-in and on a loose table I would put a minimal raise in.

Sven
  • Sometimes if you overbet like that it looks like you are stealing and the SB may try to make a move on you.

This accomplishes two things, looks like you are aggressive and when the blind folds no one sees your hand.