Guns

Comments

• Yeah, and when James Dean wore the devils clothing (what we now call "jeans") in Rebel Without a Cause they were seen as symbol of youth rebellion and banned in certain places.

I find this hard to believe since blue jeans were invented in the 1870s. Levi Strauss made a fortune with them so obviously they weren't considered "devils clothing" back then, when most of the population were God-fearing Christians.

By the time James Dean came around wouldn't most Americans be well familiar with them?

Google told me that they were indeed banned in some theaters, restaurants and schools for a short time in the 50s.
  • EDIT: I see Comp is reading this so I must say my comments do not apply to really old people. ;)
    Good edit, the hammer was in motion but I came back to your post to reread and picked up the edit... twas close but you live for another day.. ;)
  • compuease wrote: »
    Good edit, the hammer was in motion but I forgot what I was doing.

fyp
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    fyp

THERE you go . . . back in the saddle.
  • James Holmes, 24, identified as alleged Colorado shooter - The Washington Post

Not sure why he didn't just use knives, bats, nunchuks, or a 2x4 with nails sticking out of it.....they're just as easily used as killing machines from what I hear.

Oh and notice the use of the sacred "long guns". Quite a hunting expedition.

Cue the NRA convention in Colorado......
  • James Holmes, 24, identified as alleged Colorado shooter - The Washington Post

Not sure why he didn't just use knives, bats, nunchuks, or a 2x4 with nails sticking out of it.....they're just as easily used as killing machines from what I hear.

Oh and notice the use of the sacred "long guns". Quite a hunting expedition.

Cue the NRA convention in Colorado......

And clearly a guy like that would never load his car with a homemade bomb and drive in the front door. Nah, it was the guns that made him do it...lol
  • its not the gun, its the man iirc
  • SuperNed wrote: »
    And clearly a guy like that would never load his car with a homemade bomb and drive in the front door. Nah, it was the guns that made him do it...lol

What do you say we go about finding solutions to the real problems that are happening with more frequency right now, before we tackle the ridiculous rantings in your mind of all the other ways people could find to kill other people.

Please tell me you can understand guns pose a bigger threat to the average north american human right now than car bombs and flame throwers.

Christ!
  • What do you say we go about finding solutions to the real problems that are happening with more frequency right now, before we tackle the ridiculous rantings in your mind of all the other ways people could find to kill other people.

Please tell me you can understand guns pose a bigger threat to the average north american human right now than car bombs and flame throwers.

Christ!

Yes, they do. Ever wonder why you hear about so many car bombings in the middle east? My point is, no matter what is 'available' these type of killings will happen. If guns were gone people would just make pipe bombs....car bombs...fire bombs....fertilizer bombs for those bigger scale blow up half a building sort of nuts. So unless you plan on euthanizing all nutcases at birth, guns or no guns these types of things will still happen. Stop blaming the guns.

CHRIST!
    Yes, they do. Ever wonder why you hear about so many car bombings in the middle east? My point is, no matter what is 'available' these type of killings will happen. If guns were gone people would just make pipe bombs....car bombs...fire bombs....fertilizer bombs for those bigger scale blow up half a building sort of nuts. So unless you plan on euthanizing all nutcases at birth, guns or no guns these types of things will still happen. Stop blaming the guns.

CHRIST!

Ok, I get it. The only way we can lessen gun crime is to make something available to people that will make it easier to use than guns to kill other people.

Time to roll these out in time for Christmas.

Star%20Trek5.jpg

/guns
  • I mean, let's just imagine that we could magically say 'poof' and there were no guns in anyone but 'authorities' hands starting tomorrow. How long do you think it would be before you'd be hearing about buses and McDonalds BLOWING UP in North America on a regular basis? A week? I find it disturbing that some people can't see this. In a twisted sort of way it's probably best the nuts do have access to guns....people have a chance to play dead when the nut goes on a rampage with a gun. When he blows up the restaurant your eating in every single person becomes part of the wall...or what was once the wall :o

CHRIST!

Also, are you saying more people are killed by car bombs than guns? Here or the middle east....your call.

All the other weapons you list are inherently more difficult to obtain, assemble and deploy than walking into a Wal-mart in the US and buying a gun and ammunition.

"If we stopped the supply of guns people would use other things to kill people, so full speed ahead with guns" - The brilliance of SuperNed
    I mean, let's just imagine that we could magically say 'poof' and there were no guns in anyone but 'authorities' hands starting tomorrow. How long do you think it would be before you'd be hearing about buses and McDonalds BLOWING UP in North America on a regular basis? A week? I find it disturbing that some people can't see this. In a twisted sort of way it's probably best the nuts do have access to guns....people have a chance to play dead when the nut goes on a rampage with a gun. When he blows up the restaurant your eating in every single person becomes part of the wall...or what was once the wall :o

That's so fucking ridiculous. Please show the correlation of strict gun laws in countries and their incidences of increased car bombs. You'd have a much easier time showing how countries with lax gun control eventually escalate their murderous ways to include such heinous acts of violence.

Violence begets violence.
  • "If we stopped the supply of guns people would use other things to kill people, so full speed ahead with guns" - The brilliance of SuperNed

Not at all. Just let's keep the your over simplified arguement in perspective. Of course I was saying that mostly in jest. Don't get so worked up man. It's ok.
    That guy who did the killing in the Batman premiere?
    "Mr. Holmes was studying neuroscience in a Ph.D. program at the University of Colorado-Denver graduate school, university spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery said. University officials earlier said he was a student at the university's medical school."
    I'm guessing he could and would have probably figured out a way to kill everyone in that theatre or a hell of a lot more than he did....instead of just 12 (so far). Just thank God he was a horrible shot.
  • I can't even recall the number of times I had to avoid car bombs when I lived in Canada. SuperNed, you make some fantastic points.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    I can't even recall the number of times I had to avoid car bombs when I lived in Canada. SuperNed, you make some fantastic points.

Well, by your statement you are reinforcing exactly what I was saying...so kudos (not that you've probably had to avoid random gunfire either though)
    I'm guessing he could and would have probably figured out a way to kill everyone in that theatre or a hell of a lot more than he did....instead of just 12 (so far). Just thank God he was a horrible shot.

Good guess. Strange though that a guy with a need to kill people and the intelligence to do it in so many strange and unusual ways picked a few guns to use.

Must have just been lazy.

Christ!
  • Christ!

Please stop swearing.
  • i feel like there is some massive level 43 trolling going on itt

• Please tell me you can understand guns pose a bigger threat to the average north american human right now than car bombs and flame throwers.

Guns > car bombs > flame throwers . . . happy? But when will you recognize that the hysterical response to ANY crime involving firearms is out of proportion to the threat they pose to the average Canadian?

Knives/blunt objects (bats, boards with nails, etc.) > guns > car bombs > flame throwers.

At least in this country . . .

The only part of your post that makes real sense is the desire to get to the root causes of these tragedies. I hope you will agree that guns are NOT the root cause, but rather an instrument of that cause.
    Please stop swearing.

I can't, I'm soooo mad right now I feel like heading over to Walmart and picking up some guns....oh right, I live in Canada where we have at least a semblance of gun control. I wonder why we do that stupid shit? :rolleyes:
  • All the other weapons you list are inherently more difficult to obtain, assemble and deploy than walking into a Wal-mart in the US and buying a gun and ammunition.

I realize this will probably put me on some sort of watch list when the powers that monitor the interwebz read this (:D), but building a decent pipe-bomb, or larger explosive device, is significantly easier to accomplish in Canada than it is to acquire the type of weaponry used in Colorado last night.
  • Milo wrote: »

The only part of your post that makes real sense is the desire to get to the root causes of these tragedies. I hope you will agree that guns are NOT the root cause, but rather an instrument of that cause.

Jeezus Milo, of course guns are the instrument. But they are the instrument for killing. Why does the average human numbskull have the right to possess one?

And get over the blunt force trauma BS. If guns were easier to get here we'd blow that stat to kingdom come.
    I realize this will probably put me on some sort of watch list when the powers that monitor the interwebz read this (:D), but building a decent pipe-bomb, or larger explosive device, is significantly easier to accomplish in Canada than it is to acquire the type of weaponry used in Colorado last night.

And that's why we have this epidemic of pipe bombs across Canada, UK, Japan, Scandanavia.... *sigh*

You think there's any way that the prevalence of guns in their society is what opens up the channels to further escalation of violence? A gateway of sorts?
  • Jeezus Milo, of course guns are the instrument. But they are the instrument for killing. Why does the average human numbskull have the right to possess one?

Why wouldn't they have the right? No matter what happens, the 'bad guys' are going to be able to get/make/blackmarket guns....or some sort of similar weapon. This isn't make believe where weapons of this type can just disappear. I could make a basic gun on a metal lathe in a few hours. Why in your arguement should the law abiding citizens not be able to get guns to protect themselves, hunt etc, but the criminals still will? And yes, I agree there should be stricter laws in the U.S. regarding buying firearms...for the record.
  • Jeezus Milo, of course guns are the instrument. But they are the instrument for killing. Why does the average human numbskull have the right to possess one?

And get over the blunt force trauma BS. If guns were easier to get here we'd blow that stat to kingdom come.

First off, it is NOT bullshit, it is the truth. As for your other comment . . . firearms AREN'T easier to get, and I have no problem with that. What i was getting at is that we need to find out why these folks are losing their nut and deciding they want to kill people, rather than look for simplistic platitudes like Premier Dad was today when he mused about a handgun ban while visiting Danzig Crescent. TRY LOOKING AT OUR LAWS, MR PREMIER !!!

We BOTH know that a handgun ban will NOT stop shootings like what happened earlier this week. Those who constantly bring it up are advocating style over substance.

And no, I am not sure what the answer is, but I know that banning handguns, or bullets, is NOT the answer.
  • The same conflict in this thread is the same conflict that causes a person to go postal on randoms.

• You think there's any way that the prevalence of guns in their society is what opens up the channels to further escalation of violence? A gateway of sorts?

I was only pointing out that doing harm on a large scale does not require firearms, or any great technical know-how. Making a pipe-bomb, or something with greater lethality, is not really that complicated.

Look at the evidence up in Barrie, if you need proof. Anybody seen Philli, lately?
    First off, it is NOT bullshit, it is the truth. As for your other comment . . . firearms AREN'T easier to get, and I have no problem with that. What i was getting at is that we need to find out why these folks are losing their nut and deciding they want to kill people, rather than look for simplistic platitudes like Premier Dad was today when he mused about a handgun ban while visiting Danzig Crescent. TRY LOOKING AT OUR LAWS, MR PREMIER !!!

We BOTH know that a handgun ban will NOT stop shootings like what happened earlier this week. Those who constantly bring it up are advocating style over substance.

And no, I am not sure what the answer is, but I know that banning handguns, or bullets, is NOT the answer.

The incidence of BFT in Canada is only because we make people wait a few days for guns. If we could slow them down from grabbing a bat that number would drop too.

Neither of us KNOW what a hand gun ban would do but unlike you I'd definitely like to see what would happen with one before I dismiss it out of hand....that would be open minded observation.
  • darbday wrote: »
    The same conflict in this thread is the same conflict that causes a person to go postal on randoms.
    this means that its all your guys' fault for denying that you are part of the problem, so you become the problem.