Guns

Comments

• And, in a lot of cases, the whole being separated is a human being. And the re is almost NO legislation to protect us from knives . . . how did our society ever survive..

Bfillmaff is right . . . firearms are a fact of life and discussion of "bans" is ridiculous. So, what is your alternative?

Still have not addressed the notion that restricting the freedom of others somehow makes you "safer".
  • As much as it kills me inside (lol I love debating), I will cease the back and forth with bfill for both our sakes. I do want to say one more thing though on this. I think it’s at the center of our debate and probably a part of most pro-gun vs anti-gun debates. I personally see a gun as a weapon and a weapon's only purpose is to kill, harm, or injure. That’s why it was created and that is its sole purpose. I believe that you strongly disagree and look at a gun as a tool which can be used for multiple purposes. All I suggest is to ask yourself what exactly are those purposes.

Now since no one has even asked me what my actual opinion is on gun ownership I figured I might as well share it. (Side note: I do find it crazy that my posts are littered with questions about others’ opinions in an attempt to try and understand their point of view and I so rarely get asked questions about mine. My opinion is always assumed I guess.)

I’ve never used, shot, held, or seen a gun in my life (well, maybe on a cop’s holster as he walked by), but I’ve wanted one for quite some time. I want one in my house always under lock and key except when I take it to the range to practice. My gf has always been afraid to get one (she’s softened on the issue but still is apprehensive about it). So yes, I am in the group of people who think they are better than others in that I feel that guns are at the center of a lot of violence and work to escalate situations to dangerous degrees, but I still want one. I also think that idiots holding guns is a recipe for disaster, but I don’t see myself as an idiot (sadly, most of us think this and obviously most of us are idiots).

I know, bfill, that you assume that I’m some crazy anti-gun ban them all and destroy their existence type of guy, but I’m really not. I still don’t think their safe and I still don’t think everyone and anyone should have one. I think I am more than capable of handling a gun, but that just makes me an egotistical and selfish person.
  • I want one in my house

For what purpose? Are you planning on killing something?

But seriously, if you ever want to go shoot I'd be happy to take you out to the range. (although the weather isn't cooperating lately)
  • Bfillmaff wrote: »
    For what purpose? Are you planning on killing something?

But seriously, if you ever want to go shoot I'd be happy to take you out to the range. (although the weather isn't cooperating lately)

Yes. I plan on killing or severely injuring the person who breaks into my house.

That's cool. I might take up on that one day.
  • You should. He has some very cool toys, and loves to share.
  • Eric Amaral charged with 1st-degree murder in Kitchener, Ont., arrow death - Kitchener-Waterloo - CBC News

Discuss this. Gun nut barred from owning guns but still goes out and kills a Kitchener senior with a bow and arrow. This whacko shouldn't have been allowed to buy the bow. Seems the problem is identifying the nutty nutjobs before they go out and randomly kill people with whatever they have handy.
  • kwsteve wrote: »
    Eric Amaral charged with 1st-degree murder in Kitchener, Ont., arrow death - Kitchener-Waterloo - CBC News

Discuss this. Gun nut barred from owning guns but still goes out and kills a Kitchener senior with a bow and arrow. This whacko shouldn't have been allowed to buy the bow. Seems the problem is identifying the nutty nutjobs before they go out and randomly kill people with whatever they have handy.
    Ban lathes also imo...
  • You're clearly onto something..

Gun deaths / injuries up 58%

When I googled "death by arrows in Canada 2015... I got this

5. Are deaths by bow and arrow tracked in Canada?

Statistics Canada does not track data specifically for deaths caused by arrows, no matter the kind of bow used. Instead, those deaths (if they have occurred) are included in the "Other Piercing/Cutting Instruments" category, which also includes things like hatchets, axes, ice picks and bayonets, swords, shivs (homemade knives) and shears.

I got a stat from 1992 and 2003... there is a death by "Other Piercing/Cutting Instruments" every 3 days for men, and ever 5 days for women... but firearms are still higher with 1 every 2 and 5 days.

So.... guns > frequency, than bows (+hatchets, axes, ice pics, bayonets, swords, and pretty much any pointy object).

And you're kidding yourself if you think all homicides / attacks are by the mentally ill. Further stats show they are far more likely to be the victims of violence than perpetrators.

Mark
  • That is fucked up.
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    And you're kidding yourself if you think all homicides / attacks are by the mentally ill. Further stats show they are far more likely to be the victims of violence than perpetrators.
    Mark

When I say "whacko" and "nutty nutjobs" I don't mean actual mentally ill people. I mean the anti-govt, tinfoil hat wearing, usually ultra-conservative militia types who revere everything about guns and military.
  • here you go guys. i guess guns are safe. (ahaha...no)

Sweden sword attack: Two killed by masked attacker - BBC News
  • not trying to stir the pot just thought this was good conversation from both sides:

Part 1:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWMZv0Bzx6s

Part 2:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs9dtP7Ovds
  • Come on Andrew . . . them folks is WAY too reasonable.
  • My wife brought that stat up to me - I feel like their "mass shooting" definition is very broad.
  • Ya, the comments say much the same thing...

It's definitely inflated.... I'd bet 2015 hasn't significantly surpassed the acceptable mass shooting amount yet.

Mark
  • Big Mike wrote: »
    My wife brought that stat up to me - I feel like their "mass shooting" definition is very broad.

yes, the definition of mass shooting for those stats are "at least 4 people killed or injured including the shooter". it is broader than the FBI's definition but i don't think that this specific definition is bad per se.
  • Should be 3 cause who cares about the shooter. They probably planned to die anyway.
  • Hobbes wrote: »
    Should be 3 cause who cares about the shooter. They probably planned to die anyway.

it definitely seems like these shooters are expecting to die by suicide or by police suicide for sure.
  • I think it's misleading to label things like gang fights, for example, as mass shootings. When I hear mass shooting, I think more of crazy guy w/ gun - rather than gangland shootout.

But yeah, people suck.
  • Have you ever been sitting on the couch watching an episode of Frasier, laughed at that scene when Niles misunderstood something Daphne said, and suddenly thought, “Oh shit, I really need to buy a new gun.”

Well, instead of heading to a nearby gun store, gun show, gun website, your cousin who needs cash quick, or that guy you met that one time when you were making bad decisions after a bad breakup, you’ll soon be able to buy a sexy, state-of-the-art murder weapon direct from a new cable channel called GunTV!

GunTV, A QVC For Deadly Weapons, Is Coming To Cable Soon
    To get past all those pesky gun laws, GunTV will work like this:
    1. You turn off Frasier and flip to GunTV.
    2. You see a sexy lady firing a beautiful fucking gun that you needed in your life yesterday.
    3. You call the number on the screen and speak to a gun-loving representative from Sports South—GunTV’s “exclusive fulfillment partner.”
    4. You say, “Oh I want that beautiful fucking gun I saw the sexy lady fire on TV earlier,” and tell them where you live.
    5. The gun-loving Sports South rep finds a presumably dope as hell Sports South location in your state, takes your billing/shipping info, and orders the gun.
    6. You flip back to Frasier.
    7. You receive your gun a few days later and are satisfied.
    8. You play with the gun until it accidentally goes off and shoots a bullet through your television.
    9. You buy a new television.
    10. You flip to GunTV to find a gun with a more reliable safety device.
  • Will GunTV be part of our new pick n pay system?
  • https://ca.news.yahoo.com/five-ways-us-reduce-mass-shootings-133524659.html

Some sensible ideas in that link . . . NONE of which have a hope in hell of coming to pass. US gov is like a lifeboat full of folks, with gasoline pooled in the bottom, and they want to light a flare to see what else is out there . . .
  • Milo wrote: »
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/five-ways-us-reduce-mass-shootings-133524659.html

Some sensible ideas in that link . . . NONE of which have a hope in hell of coming to pass. US gov is like a lifeboat full of folks, with gasoline pooled in the bottom, and they want to light a flare to see what else is out there . . .

decent read, yeah all those points seem fair
  • omg, how the hell does anyone think this is a good idea...?

Mock mass shooting changes location after warnings from UT | www.statesman.com
    Gun rights groups say they will conduct a mock mass shooting this weekend at the University of Texas campus as they try to end gun-free zones...“It’s a fake mass shooting, and we’ll use fake blood,” he said. He said gun noises will be blared from bullhorns. Other people will then play the role of rescuers, also armed with cardboard weapons. He said the group was not seeking any sort of permit for the event from Austin or UT.
  • On the plus side, maybe someone will call 911 and Darwin will have his way with the Organizers.
  • i know. this article is written very much in a philosophical argumentative way which many may not enjoy, but i still thought it was decent enough to post.

A world with persons but without guns | OUPBlog