TJs and JQs in a NL tourney

Hey Dave,

I have a question from the last tourney I played in... What should I do with hands like TJs or QJs in EP or early MP when nobody's entered the pot?

I had a shorter-than-average stack when I got these hands, and I knew that if I tried to limp, chances were good I wouldn't get away with it... the big stack was to my left. So, I mucked both these hands, preflop, with 7 or 8 players at the table.

Too tight?

Comments

• I probably muck them as well if, as you say, I do not feel that the current table dynamic will let me get away with limping in.

I slightly prefer JTs since it is less likely to be dominated by the hands that will call me if I come in for a raise.

Not much of an answer, but like almost any poker question, the answer is "is depends."
  • "I slightly prefer JTs since it is less likely to be dominated by the hands that will call me if I come in for a raise."

Good point. These hands have given me some trouble in the past... it's almost less dangerous to play lower suited connectors because you can get away from your hand easier if you pair up against an overcard, or, you'll have reason to believe you're the best hand, depending on the flop etc...

It really does depend, lol. Next time I'll try and have a more specific question.
  • I'm currently reading Super System, and Doyle's section on No-Limit seems to almost imply the opposite...he seemed to advocate playing your suited connectors quite strongly. There seems to be a disconnect...or maybe I'm just not understanding something?
  • Under the right circumstances you can play suited connectors quit strongly. See my post about "How to think about poker part III" for a simply explanation of the math of re-stealing. If you have the right kind of opponent you should frequently re-steal. When re-stealing the best hands to have are suited aces, pairs, and suited connectors (one gap and two gap are OK too).

There isn't really a disconnect, it is simply a good example of the complexity of poker and, in particular, the fluid nature of the game given who your opponents are in THIS hand.