c/b frequency question

just wanted to hear some opinions on how often do you put in a continuation bet on the flop when the flop hits all rags (that is to say you started with a premium preflop hand)? i'm mainly asking this because i obviously find myself in this situation often. i feel that when a board like this hits, a c/bet is so blantantly just that (a bet that you make even when you miss everything), and in this case it's most likely that my opponent knows i have missed everything.

Comments

• I do it pretty often. Like 80% of the time.

To be honest though playing at low limits most of the players aren't smart enough to notice it so it's a good play. I would alter this % based on the quality of opponents.
  • I would say it depends. What's your position relative to everyone else. If you still have position then bet away. If you raised early to middle (say with AK spades) and got 2 callers behind you I probably check. Hope to get a free card then play at them if you hit. I would say I probably fire out a bet at least 75% of the time but that also varies with the player i'm against.
  • AcidJoe wrote: »
    I would say it depends. What's your position relative to everyone else. If you still have position then bet away. If you raised early to middle (say with AK spades) and got 2 callers behind you I probably check. Hope to get a free card then play at them if you hit. I would say I probably fire out a bet at least 75% of the time but that also varies with the player i'm against.

Definitely on side with this statement. I would say I tend to C/bet about 2/3 to 3/4 of the time that I am the PFR, with the % trending higher when I have position. But yeah, it's never cut and dried.
  • i am aware that a c/b does depend on many different factors (board texture, position, player texture, etc). i was just kind of looking for a general opinion of c/b frequency really.
  • m_dolens wrote: »
    just wanted to hear some opinions on how often do you put in a continuation bet on the flop when the flop hits all rags (that is to say you started with a premium preflop hand)? i'm mainly asking this because i obviously find myself in this situation often. i feel that when a board like this hits, a c/bet is so blantantly just that (a bet that you make even when you miss everything), and in this case it's most likely that my opponent knows i have missed everything.
    Here are the things I consider:

1. Number of opponents. Against one opponent, frequency can be high. Against two opponents, it gets much tougher and depends a lot on other factors. Against three opponents only rarely unless I have a table image that frightens the other players.

2. Texture of the flop. Is the flop complete rags? Are there any draws? What high cards have come out?

3. Preflop read of opponent. Given the preflop betting, what hand is villain likely to be holding and did that hand hit the flop?

4. How often have I been c-betting?

5. Am I up against a calling station?

6. Am I up against a tough player who might raise me?

7. How aggressive are my opponents? If I check will they bet and I have a tough decision? Do they like to checkraise?

Your opponents are the key factor in all of this. Some opponents will always call a raiser's bet just to see what happens on the turn. This is called "floating" and is a set up such that if the c-bettor checks the turn, a steal is in the works. Against the straightforward versions of these players, sometimes a double barrel is all that is required. However, if you do this, you gotta be pretty sure you are not against a calling station or a slowplaying tricky player.

Another thing to do is to sometimes check when you hit the flop. Even if you don't want to all your synapses are saying to value bet, try checking. It may not be optimal for that hand but if you show down and win, it will likely be a surprise and will be remember.

Against tight players, I almost always c-bet. If someone is folding too much, then you need to be betting too much.

I think my general advice, and unfortunately what is hard to do, is to figure out the sophistication level of your opponent(s) and play one level above that. That is the zone you are looking for. If you play too high above your opponent, your cool, neat plays will backfire. If you play at their level, you are just pushing chips around and the guy with the best cards will get the most chips.

Also, your c-betting has to fit into an overall strategy which includes checkraising, semi-bluffing and value betting. Ideally you want your checks, bets and raises to mean different things. This will keep your opponents very much off balance.
  • m_dolens wrote: »
    i am aware that a c/b does depend on many different factors (board texture, position, player texture, etc). i was just kind of looking for a general opinion of c/b frequency really.
    I would say that less than 50% against one opponent is too tight. Also, I think more than 90% against normal opponents is way too much.

At a tight table, 100% is probably correct.

One last thought. The bet size is crucial. Obviously you want to bet just enough for this bluff to work but not too much that the times you get raised cost more than the time you win. I adjust my bet size to the type of opponent, how the preflop went down, the texture of the board and my table image. A lot of the time I find a half pot bet does the job.

Okay another last thought. Be aware of short stacks or any player close to being pot committed. If there is a higher than normal chance that you will be raised all-in because just a call would commit them, then throttle back.
  • thanks a lot for the opinions everyone.