Omaha hand from tonights league game.

My busty hand from tonights CPF league tourney. I busted out of the last one with the best hand on the turn as well.

I posted this one in the Brags, beats etc forum as well. The more I got reading it over to post, the more I got thinking about it. I am pretty new to Omaha, and thought it might be nice to get some feedback.

OMAHA_HI_LO, POT_LIMIT, T4-63402346-76
played at "Roanoke" for USD TC from 2008-03-19 21:27 until 2008-03-19 21:27

Hero is the EnemaBag, in the BB with Ac3h9h9d.

I know the call preflop is pretty weak, but my thinking here is that if I can hit a set I can maybe win a big pot.

Seat 2: EnemaBagJim ($3,825 in chips)
Seat 5: Phils Mole ($1,458 in chips)
Seat 8: AsianJew ($7,513 in chips)
Seat 10: V0TE QUIMBY ($3,704 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
V0TE QUIMBY posts blind ($100), EnemaBagJim posts blind ($200).

PRE-FLOP
Phils Mole folds, AsianJew bets $500, V0TE QUIMBY folds, EnemaBagJim calls $300.

FLOP [board cards: 9C,5H,TC ]
EnemaBagJim bets $1,100, AsianJew calls $1,100.

33% of my remaining chips go into this pot sized bet. My thinking is I want him to know I've hit this draw heavy board hard. His call tells me he's got one of those big draws. Could I have found out this information for less?

TURN [board cards: 9C,5H,TC,TH ]
EnemaBagJim bets $2,225 and is all-in, AsianJew calls $2,225.

I think I'm good now, unless he has specifically 910, but the pot has over three grand in it. He calls quickly.

RIVER [board cards: 9C,5H,TC,TH,TD ]

SHOWDOWN
EnemaBagJim shows [ AC,9H,3H,9D ]
AsianJew shows [ QC,JD,TS,KC ]
AsianJew wins high $7,750.

SUMMARY
Dealer: AsianJew
Pot: $7,750
EnemaBagJim, loses $3,825
Phils Mole, loses $0
AsianJew, bets $3,825, collects $7,750, net $3,925
V0TE QUIMBY, loses $100

So it turns out he had so many outs it was insane, holding both straight and flush draws on the flop. The thing with Chan poker is if you get it all in on the turn, they deal the river and award the pot so quickly, you can't even see your opponents hand at show down. I didn't even know what had happened until I reviewed the hand history.

Is there any way I don't go broke here?

Comments

• Only way I can see you not going broke here is folding pre-flop... its a decent hand for Omaha, but definitely not strong. The flop had no low potential unless there was runner runner, and you hit set with few outs. He had a ton of outs, and had a pretty easy play (hard to put someone on a set of 9s in Hi/Lo).
  • Hand was way too pretty for me to fold. I don't think you did anything wrong post flop.
  • 4 handed, nope you did everything right.

I mean, the flop was money in the bank for villian but you can't know that, 2nd set 4 handed.. gogogoogo.
  • Thanks for the feedback, and I thought that was the case.

Just interested to know if my thinking was in line with thinking that is not terrible.
  • Graham wrote: »
    Only way I can see you not going broke here is folding pre-flop... its a decent hand for Omaha, but definitely not strong.

Wrong. That's a great hand to see a discounted flop to short handed. If I had position preflop I would pot this hand as most PLO players play too tight preflop at a shorthanded table. It's not a strong hand multiway, but HU and shorthanded it's a good spot. If you fold this hand preflop what are you waiting for with a low M at a 4 handed table. The only thing I see wrong in the hand is your opponent should have pushed over you HU on the flop with top pair a wrap and a flush draw. It's one of those hands that plays itself, you did nothing wrong.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    Wrong. That's a great hand to see a discounted flop to short handed. If I had position preflop I would pot this hand as most PLO players play too tight preflop at a shorthanded table. It's not a strong hand multiway, but HU and shorthanded it's a good spot. If you fold this hand preflop what are you waiting for with a low M at a 4 handed table. The only thing I see wrong in the hand is your opponent should have pushed over you HU on the flop with top pair a wrap and a flush draw. It's one of those hands that plays itself, you did nothing wrong.

Thanks for the feedback GTA. I was out of position after the flop, but I could have re raised pre flop. I guess I was playing pretty defensively here and wanting to leave an escape if things didn't go well on the flop.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    The only thing I see wrong in the hand is your opponent should have pushed over you HU on the flop with top pair a wrap and a flush draw. It's one of those hands that plays itself, you did nothing wrong.
    Agreed. Your opponent actually had 53% equity on the flop.

/g2
  • Nothing would have changed, as he most likely would have called anyways, but why didn't you raise the flop instead of calling?
  • God damn it I'm sick of people misreading hand histories!

/g2
  • interesting hand, i think i'm going to start learning some more about omaha
  • g2 wrote: »
    God damn it I'm sick of people misreading hand histories!

/g2

Me too, but I didn't use a converter or anything, and Chan's history's aren't the best.
  • dinobot wrote: »
    Me too, but I didn't use a converter or anything, and Chan's history's aren't the best.

I think g2 means post 9 where the poster asks you why you called instead of raise. But you actually bet.
  • I meant that too. Should have used a quote. I was trying to minimize G2's rage by supplying reasons why the guy might have made the mistake that didn't just involve his being lazy with his reading.
  • dinobot wrote: »
    I meant that too. Should have used a quote. I was trying to minimize g2's rage by supplying reasons why the guy might have made the mistake that didn't just involve his being lazy with his reading.

You can't minimize my rage by misspelling my name ;)

/g2
  • g2 wrote: »
    You can't minimize my rage by misspelling my name ;)

/g2

Well you've certainly maximized my rage GeeTwo.

I kid, I kid, I'll be more careful in the future.