How do you play this?

Live limit tournament, very early in the game, blinds are 100/200 at this point, and the table is full with varying skilled players from beginner to pretty damn decent.

You're BB. There are 4 limpers in already and player 5 raises. Two more callers to you, you look down at 92o. Figuring you have good implied odds at this point, you call as well, and the early limpers flat call behind you. There's 8 players seeing the flop.

Flop comes down 9(h)2(c)2(d)...big blind special!!! SB checks, you check, gets checked around to the original bettor who bets out. Gets folded to SB who calls. Figure you still have decent implied odds, you flat call as well. Two more call the bet, and 5 players see the turn.

Turn is a dud...SB checks...you CHECK or BET? AND WHY?

Comments

• STR82ACE wrote: »
    Live limit tournament, very early in the game, blinds are 100/200 at this point, and the table is full with varying skilled players from beginner to pretty damn decent.

You're BB. There are 4 limpers in already and player 5 raises. Two more callers to you, you look down at 92o. Figuring you have good implied odds at this point, you call as well, and the early limpers flat call behind you. There's 8 players seeing the flop.

Flop comes down 9(h)2(c)2(d)...big blind special!!! SB checks, you check, gets checked around to the original bettor who bets out. Gets folded to SB who calls. Figure you still have decent implied odds, you flat call as well. Two more call the bet, and 5 players see the turn.

Turn is a dud...SB checks...you CHECK or BET? AND WHY?

You probalby don't need implied odds with second nuts:)

Depending on my table image (which is usually pretty LAGGGGY) I bet the turn...I have no clue what that many players were peeling the flop, but I'm sure you'll get some calls from weakly played TT or A9-79, etc.

I may not have seen the flop though if I felt that the early limpers were the type of players to repop preflop.
  • GTA Poker wrote: »
    You probalby don't need implied odds with second nuts:)

Depending on my table image (which is usually pretty LAGGGGY) I bet the turn...I have no clue what that many players were peeling the flop, but I'm sure you'll get some calls from weakly played TT or A9-79, etc.

I may not have seen the flop though if I felt that the early limpers were the type of players to repop preflop.

I refer to implied odds postflop solely on the thought of maximizing the betting downstream. You're right, with the second nuts, you don't need implied odds.
  • I think you're confusing pot odds with milking the fishies.
  • I bet. The size of the bet is what is important. It has to be big enough to look like an attempt to grab it yet small enough for the original raiser to be able to come over the top.

OR

Check it and wait to see what the original raiser does. If he checks then come out with the above bet after the river.
  • It's limit
  • Is this a real question?

It's limit, no? Why wouldn't you bet? You flopped a full house...you have 5 people along with you to the turn, someone thinks they have something....you have to bet to make money on your made hand.

Slow playing in limit is silly.
  • Limit? Oh. Bet, bet, bet.
  • Raise raise raise!!!

Get your money in there!
  • I'm assuming that you are debating whether or not to bet or to check-raise here. Check-raise makes it a little to obvious that you hit trips on the flop (atleast). I think firing out on the turn, even on the flop for that matter, disguises your hand a bit more. Leading out on the flop may even result in you getting 3 bets in rather then only two with a check-raise, also we're making the assumption that someone bets. Checking here IMO is the worst thing to do, it could easily get checked around. I like firing.

stp
  • stpboy wrote: »
    I'm assuming that you are debating whether or not to bet or to check-raise here. Check-raise makes it a little to obvious that you hit trips on the flop (atleast). I think firing out on the turn, even on the flop for that matter, disguises your hand a bit more. Leading out on the flop may even result in you getting 3 bets in rather then only two with a check-raise, also we're making the assumption that someone bets. Checking here IMO is the worst thing to do, it could easily get checked around. I like firing.

stp
    I agree with Shannon here. However I think in the long run you are more likely to make money if you bet out on the flop. If the original raiser is any kind of poker player he/she has to be scared that one of the blinds hit the two. However, if you bet out on the flop, then he/she can be convinced that you only hit the nine and that his/her overpair or overcards are live. You might be really lucky that the small blind has the case two and you can make some money there. Definitely bet out any chance you get. I would probably flat call any raise until the river.
  • I fold pre-flop. The only board I'm happy with is trips and that doesn't occur enough to justify the odds (implied or otherwise).
    I agree with Shannon here. However I think in the long run you are more likely to make money if you bet out on the flop.

You are in the SB against a LP PFR. If you lead out from the SB (who gets assigned any two cards preflop) you are like sounding the alarm that you have trips minimum and everyone will fold. Or do you really think that someone will think you are bluffing into 5 players in LHE?

I check the turn, and even consider just calling the bet.. Raising will be great at knocking out players. But calling will induce a player or two to stick around. For everyone one player that stick around on the turn, it's another big bet in your pocket. This is probably the best case for slowplaying every street. The problem is that an observant player should realize you can only be calling with trips because the flop contained no draw.

Anecodtal story: I flopped quads at the Taj and called every street with 5 players in the pot. I called the river as the flush hit and expected the LP bettor to raise.. alas he didn't. I guarentee you I made more by letting people call than making them fold to a raise.

On the river, just lead out. The LP player will check, but will call due to pot odds.
  • lots of players limp with 99 as well

bet bet bet bet bet!!!
  • Question: How are the bet structure done in limit tourneys?

Is it the same size bet pre-flop as on the turn?
  • zunni74 wrote: »
    Question: How are the bet structure done in limit tourneys?

Is it the same size bet pre-flop as on the turn?

No. The small bet pre-flop and post. The big bet on the turn river.

Yes, it gets out of control in a hurry.
  • To answer this question you need to know how much he continuation bets the turn if unraised.
    If he frequently c-bets the turn then you want to check call the flop, check call the turn, and bet the river.
    If he frequently c-bets the river then you can check raise the river.
  • I fold pre-flop. The only board I'm happy with is trips and that doesn't occur enough to justify the odds (implied or otherwise).

Agreed.
    You are in the SB against a LP PFR. If you lead out from the SB (who gets assigned any two cards preflop) you are like sounding the alarm that you have trips minimum and everyone will fold. Or do you really think that someone will think you are bluffing into 5 players in LHE?

It's the BB actually. I think this is a big "it depends". Lots of players donk a 9 or a small pair here. Some will donk a 2. Almost no-one would stone bluff into 5 opponents. How aggressive is the pfr? I don't hate leading out here. I think a CR is terrible, unless maybe BB+1 leads and everyone calls.
    I check the turn, and even consider just calling the bet.. Raising will be great at knocking out players. But calling will induce a player or two to stick around. For everyone one player that stick around on the turn, it's another big bet in your pocket. This is probably the best case for slowplaying every street. The problem is that an observant player should realize you can only be calling with trips because the flop contained no draw.

Really? I hate that line. Wtf is everyone peeling the flop with? Overcards? Since a CR is so transparent, I like donking. It still makes it 1 bet to the MP players if they still want to cling to their 9 or overcards, and PFR is in an awkward spot if he has something like an overpair. SB is the interesting one though. What sort of hand does he need to flat call a blank flop with 3 people yet to act behind him on the flop? A 2 maybe? In which case leading gives a chance to bet/3bet whoever's got the case 2 (potentially sandwiching a few in between). The combination of the other players checking behind, and the chance of someone else having the case 2 makes me lead here like everytime.
  • Really? I hate that line. Wtf is everyone peeling the flop with? Overcards? Since a CR is so transparent, I like donking. It still makes it 1 bet to the MP players if they still want to cling to their 9 or overcards, and PFR is in an awkward spot if he has something like an overpair.

I assigned all the villains at the table of the typical limit holdem player type where they love to call one bet, but start to get suspecious or anxious when it's two bets.. Also if there are two different bettors. Actually, even bad players recognize the blind betting out on a rag flop is a made hand.

What I was hoping for is mr PFR to continuation bet, letting everyone call his bet because thats what they do. Maybe donking the turn would be a better use to collect the extra 1/2 bets from MP as opposed to the flop.

This is all theoretical cuz there aint enough implied odds in the world to get me along with 92o unless im bored or it's 2/4 live lhe.
  • I think I would probably check-raise the turn. Just check and wait for someone to bet and, hopefully, get a few callers before it comes back to you. Then you raise. At the least, with this pot, people will at least call that one bet. I would then bet out on the river regardless what comes.
  • I think I would probably check-raise the turn. Just check and wait for someone to bet and, hopefully, get a few callers before it comes back to you. Then you raise. At the least, with this pot, people will at least call that one bet. I would then bet out on the river regardless what comes.

For every player that drops out after you check raise, you need to gain another bet from the player that stays. In large multi-way pots with the nuts, you are more profitable to allow players to stay in the hand than to "Do the natural thing" and raise.