Cash game hand...

Playing in a very deep cash game.

Limper2 sitting with 150BB
Hero siting with 125BB
Player A sitting with 80BB
Limper1 sitting with 50BB

This is your first hand at the table, no reads.

Hero posts in late position. Two limpers before Player A makes it 4x to go.

Both limpers call, Hero calls with 56h

Four to the flop.

Kh 2h 4d

Limper1 checks.

Limper2 Bets 7BB

Hero Calls.

Player A re-raises, making it 40BB.

Limper1 Folds.

Limper2 goes all in for his 150BB.

Action on the hero, what do you do here? Is this simply a math decision to you? Without reads or knowledge of how much the money means to each player, I can only assume both have hit large. Or is that wrong to assume that?

stp

Comments

• Easy fold.

You have a gut shot and a very weak flush draw, why put all your money in?
  • having no reads sucks but i dont think either calling or folding are terribly wrong
  • QueenNine wrote: »
    Easy fold.

You have a gut shot and a very weak flush draw, why put all your money in?

If your read is that both players hit the board hard, then I would say that both your draws are live. I can imagine that either player is reraising with a bigger flush draw. The math says to call - of course you can expect that at least one player has hit a set and even if you hit your flush then they have a redraw to a full house. You need to decide how much the money for a rebuy means to you.
  • I'd fold... What's to say one of the other people isn't on a better flush draw also the gutshot is pretty weak IMO. I'd say one hit for sure, and the other player who knows... could be on a better draw.
  • I doubt either of them is on a draw.

You can assume that Limper2 and Player A (only 40BB behind) are both calling. Player A has an obvious make hand. Probably somethig stupid like AK.

Limper 2 is a little weird. Open limp, call 3BBpreflop, leads out a feeler 7BB gets raised and now wants to dance. I guess it's 22 or 44..

Either way,11 outs...

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=4357765
    pokenum -h 2c 2d - 5h 6h -- kh 2h 4d
    Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 4d Kh 2h
    cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
    2c 2d 655 66.16 335 33.84 0 0.00 0.662
    6h 5h 335 33.84 655 66.16 0 0.00 0.338
  • It doesn't really matter if they hit hard or not. If neither has a flush draw you're correct to call. That's a big if though. It's more about you. Are you the type who can put in the money on the draw? The odds seem right to me. (you may even get better odds when the last player calls too). If one of them has 2 hearts though you're pretty much praying for that 4 outer to come.
  • Thanks for the replies all. My 'general' read was that one had married a big hand AA, AK like BBC said and the other guy I thought at worst had a set. I made the call thinking that if I lose then I either reload or finish my session and go do something productive.

Player A shows AA

Limper 2 shows K10s (donk)

I show 56h

Turn 3

River, not that it matters was a Q.

stp
  • You're calling the guy who hit top pair with a decent kicker a donk?

You call that much $$ for a gutshot, and a VERY WEAK flush draw VS AA and luckily hit it?

Who's the donk?

A set at worst? OMG!

Please come to any table i'm at, anytime.

Guys like you are why i'm a winning player at online poker

sorry frenchy but that is worth one HELLOFA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • bleemo wrote: »
    You're calling the guy who hit top pair with a decent kicker a donk?

You call that much $$ for a gutshot, and a VERY WEAK flush draw VS AA and luckily hit it?

Who's the donk?

A set at worst? OMG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    He called "that much money" with what he felt was an equitable # of outs. Turns out he was right, and he hit. And I agree, the way it played out it looks like his flush draw is live, what the fuck is the difference that it is 6 high? If he has the only flush draw, if he hits he wins. Period.

---

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

35,217 games 0.002 secs 17,608,500 games/sec

Board: Kh 2h 4d
    Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 38.445% 38.44% 00.00% 13539 0.00 { 6h5h }
    Hand 1: 29.256% 29.26% 00.00% 10303 0.00 { AdAh }
    Hand 2: 32.300% 32.30% 00.00% 11375 0.00 { KK, 44, 22, AKs, KJs, K4s, K2s, AKo, KJo, 42o }

---

WHO'S THE DONK NOW!?!

/g2
    For the record, yes I am.

---

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

16,254 games 0.002 secs 8,127,000 games/sec

Board: Kh 2h 4d
    Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 46.013% 46.01% 00.00% 7479 0.00 { 6h5h }
    Hand 1: 40.772% 40.77% 00.00% 6627 0.00 { AA }
    Hand 2: 13.215% 13.22% 00.00% 2148 0.00 { KTs }

---

/g2

Who's the donk?

A set at worst? OMG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, didn't I see you in another thread recently criticizing someone's english?

About the hand, I would have had a tough time making the call worrying that my flush draw was dominated and I was actually just drawing to my 3 non heart straight outs. nice hand

This is why I don't play nl cash games though, I have no roll, and I simply cannot muster the guts needed to make the tough calls when the situation calls for it.
  • Dude you just LOVE that quote button don't you?

I prefer high fixed limit myself, but 1-2 nl isn't what i'd call a game where you need to be "rolled" to high

Anyway, all i'm saying is i'll take that "donk" call anyday if he hits it once he'll call it again and eventually I'll get my money back.
  • Well bleemo, I'm the tighty whitey guy one here and even I understand the "math" part of this equation.. stp was exactly right in his line of thought, with the correct odds calling here IS the correct play... Now whether one wants to call from a "rolled" perspective is another issue. If one's bankroll is proper then this is the "right" call... So get off your high horse and quit trying to "pretend" being an expert.. You may even learn something, like all (or at least most) of us are trying to do..
    Good question Shannon and great responses everyone...
  • I'm no expert, I'm just stating my thoughts on the particular hand.

I'm not "pretending"to be anything nor am I on a high horse, it's the posters cash, let them give it away if they want too.

To add to this, in poker you can learn something from everyone who plays, I appreciate the strategy, it pays me more often than not.

cheers.
    I'm not "pretending"to be anything nor am I on a high horse, it's the posters cash, let them give it away if they want too.
    Folding in this spot would be giving away cash.

/g2
  • IMO, so is calling a pre-flop raise with 56s
    IMO, so is calling a pre-flop raise with 56s
    IMO, that is a leak in your game.

/g2
  • Fair enough.
  • So we agree to disagree. Cool. I gotta go, but this was fun. I'm sure we'll do it again sometime. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

/g2
  • It's easier to do the analysis with dollar amounts, so let's assume that the big blind is $5 (e.g., 5/5 game). Hero has $625 (125 BB). Hero has put $55 (11 BB) into the pot when Player A reraises to $200 then the biggest stack Limper2 re-raises all-in. It would cost the hero his remaining $570 to make the call, and Player A his remaining $200. Player A will probably call, so hero would risk $570 to win a total pot of $1670 [(125 BB * 2 + 80 BB + 4 BB) * $5]. He is getting pot odds of 1.9-to-1; he needs to have an equity of over 34% to make calling correct.

Hero has 3 outs for his straight draw, but the nine hearts may not be good as outs. With the betting so far, an Ace-high flush draw or set is among the likely range of all-in hands and hero's hand may not be good even if he hits a flush or straight. "Without reads" on how bad/solid the players are, hero does not have enough probable outs to make calling correct. I would fold and wait for a much better opportunity to risk my $570.
  • BlondeFish wrote: »
    It's easier to do the analysis with dollar amounts

I think you mean it may be more "intuitive" with dollar amounts... the analysis did not get any "easier".

If OP is confident with his reads... calling is +EV... but he only has to be wrong 1 in 10 times or so to push this into negative territory.

For the record, I fold here... and wait for a better spot as well.
  • stpboy wrote: »
    Playing in a very deep cash game.

Limper2 sitting with 150BB
    Hero siting with 125BB
    Player A sitting with 80BB
    Limper1 sitting with 50BB

This is your first hand at the table, no reads.

Hero posts in late position. Two limpers before Player A makes it 4x to go.

I'd like the preflop raiser to have a bigger stack (around 120BB).
    I'd also like to know that the two limpers are also calling and not raising before I come in.

If the limper had 150BB and there were 2 cold callers behind the raiser I'd be fine with calling the 4BB raise.
    But as played I'd fold this 80-90% of the time.

Both limpers call, Hero calls with 56h

Four to the flop.

Kh 2h 4d

Limper1 checks.

Limper2 Bets 7BB

Hero Calls.

Player A re-raises, making it 40BB.

Limper1 Folds.

Limper2 goes all in for his 150BB.

Action on the hero, what do you do here? Is this simply a math decision to you? Without reads or knowledge of how much the money means to each player, I can only assume both have hit large. Or is that wrong to assume that?

stp
    You have 9 outs to a flush and 2 more to a straight.
    But your flush outs are non-nut outs. So you have to discount them. I'd say you have 8 discounted outs.