what would you do...

Playin 10/20, anyone that pays attention knows Im a pretty tight player and Im never the first to raise preflop, unless its bascially AA or KK. And Ill never bet unless Im pretty darn sure Im winning. Sure Im predictable but I think I like it that way. Usually gets me a little respect. (and allows me to bluff every once in a while and they never know lol)

Well anyways here is my senerio:

There is a fold and a limp, and then this old guy (that has only raised 3 times and each time has shown AA, KK and AKsuited) raises, I then 3 bet it with my KK making it 30 and there are 8 people to see the flop. Yes thats right 8...morons.

Flop comes 10 2 Q rainbow someone in early pos bets, old guy calls, I raise leaving the rest of the monkeys to call 20 cold. 6 people to see the turn.

Turn is a K (oh great) checked to me, I also check, by the time it gets to the old guy there are 4 other people still in and its been raised to 60 and he asks 'what can I do? Can I still raise?', so sure enough its capped, and Im left to call 80 cold with 10 outs.

Do you call the 80 bucks...knowing at least 2 people have AJ, or just give up

Yeah I disgustingly called 80 cold and hoped for a nice paired board, but obviously there was not.

2 ppl had AJ, and one had J9. The moron with J9 called 30 cold preflop.
(sidenote, 2 hands later he took out my KK again with 57os, even had the nerve to RERAISE me on the turn with a gutshot)

Was the worst 10/20 table Ive ever played on.

Comments

• I'm surprised at the level of play you witnessed at this level. Seems somewhat loose for a 10/20 game for sure.

Could I fold a set of kings here on the turn? I doubt it, I would have to have strong reads on my opponents, and even then I would want to call it a hope to pair the board.

Sounds like a very juicy game though for you. I wouldn't be leaving it anytime soon.
  • BROOKS wrote: »
    Playin 10/20, anyone that pays attention knows Im a pretty tight player and Im never the first to raise preflop, unless its bascially AA or KK. And Ill never bet unless Im pretty darn sure Im winning. Sure Im predictable but I think I like it that way. Usually gets me a little respect. (and allows me to bluff every once in a while and they never know lol)

Well anyways here is my senerio:

There is a fold and a limp, and then this old guy (that has only raised 3 times and each time has shown AA, KK and AKsuited) raises, I then 3 bet it with my KK making it 30 and there are 8 people to see the flop. Yes thats right 8...morons.

Flop comes 10 2 Q rainbow someone in early pos bets, old guy calls, I raise leaving the rest of the monkeys to call 20 cold. 6 people to see the turn.

Turn is a K (oh great) checked to me, I also check, by the time it gets to the old guy there are 4 other people still in and its been raised to 60 and he asks 'what can I do? Can I still raise?', so sure enough its capped, and Im left to call 80 cold with 11 outs.

Do you call the 80 bucks...knowing at least 2 people have AJ, or just give up

Yeah I disgustingly called 80 cold and hoped for a nice paired board, but obviously there was not.

2 ppl had AJ, and one had J9. The moron with J9 called 30 cold preflop.
    (sidenote, 2 hands later he took out my KK again with 57os, even had the nerve to RERAISE me on the turn with a gutshot)

8*4 sb preflop
    6*2 sb flop
    =44sb = 22bb

On the turn it's not clear but it sounds like there are 16 or so more big bets going in?

Sound like this is going to be about a 40 big bet pot.... maybe a 50 big bet pot.

Easy call.

Sounds like the best 10/20 table.
    Was this at Brantford on Saturday night?
  • No way i'm folding that turn.
  • Free Advice:

1) Learn to raise preflop more often

2) They're bets, not $10, $20, $80.. $80 = 4BB (big bets)

3) Jebus dude, you have top set against a guy whos playing it like AA or QQ, ramma jamma plz.

4) Ok, you are a tight nit that sits around watching paint dry until you get delt a top 5 hand. You realise that this table makeup is pretty much the only one where you are a profitable player, right?
  • I was thinking along the lines of BBC here

If you're only raising those few hands, people are going to call with position just so they can stack you when you marry them... or at least bend you over as much as they can (this is limit)

Mark
  • I've had that EXACT situation before except some donk also hit his set on the turn to take away more of my boat outs. Donk eventually rivered the straight with his gutshot AJ vs. my set of K's).

To Answer your question, I say what reef says.

stp
    I then 3 bet it with my KK making it 30 and there are 8 people to see the flop. Yes thats right 8...morons.

The moron with J9 called 30 cold preflop.

Not a big limit player but with 8 other players in the hand, even with 72o against AA, I am calling with these odds. I wouldn't say he was a moron, but making the right call based on the odds he was getting.
  • If you KNOW they have AJ then you should fold. But, given the odds and pot size, plus top set, you kinda have to call.

Like other have mentioned I think you played this one a little too conservatively preflop.
  • Graham wrote: »

Like other have mentioned I think you played this one a little too conservatively preflop.

Im sorry, how does THREE BETTING it count as conservative preflop?
    old guy raises, I reraise, leaving the rest of the table to call 30 cold preflop.

And I was 100% sure that 2 people had AJ, just by the way it was raised to 60, and then how the old guy capped at 80.

Hence my frustration in deciding whether or not to call the 80 cold to see the river with my 10 outs.
    3) Jebus dude, you have top set against a guy whos playing it like AA or QQ, ramma jamma plz.

Was playing against 8 people on the flop, and 6 on the turn. Heads up is a different story
    4) Ok, you are a tight nit that sits around watching paint dry until you get delt a top 5 hand. You realise that this table makeup is pretty much the only one where you are a profitable player, right?

No Im not a tight nit, I have the image of a tight nit though. I play a lot of hands, not just top 5, that would be boring. And yes I know that playing with a bunch of monkeys should be a dream come true, except at this table I was getting zero respect and they always seemed to hit their crazy hands. It was just an unlucky session for me thats all.
  • RESPECT?? IN A LIMIT GAME??

With limit, the only respect you're going to get is to power bet when you have a good hand and rack monster pots in. With the pot this big, the respect the rest of the table is going to have is for that pot, they won't give a rat's ass for your hand.

Personally, I think you played it alright, just got beat. 8 player pots are destined to crack alot of big hands.
  • Brooks,
    Im never the first to raise preflop, unless its bascially AA or KK.

Is the very definition of being a tight-nit. You are one. Deal with it.
    Was playing against 8 people on the flop, and 6 on the turn. Heads up is a different story

Ok, you don't understand the concept of pot equity. If you seriously want to consider yourself a limit player, I suggest you start understanding it pronto.
    I play a lot of hands, not just top 5, that would be boring.

But you don't play them for raises preflop, meaning you intentionally encourage multi-way small pots when you have premium hands. Can you see the chain of logic that ends up with you always bitching and moaning how the monkeys hit thier crap hands?
    It was just an unlucky session for me thats all.

No. You aren't playing properly.

The other thing that pisses me off with your post is that I know you never post this hand if the river pairs the board. Because you are a results-oriented nit, the worst kind.

No Im not a tight nit, I have the image of a tight nit though. I play a lot of hands, not just top 5, that would be boring. And yes I know that playing with a bunch of monkeys should be a dream come true, except at this table I was getting zero respect and they always seemed to hit their crazy hands. It was just an unlucky session for me thats all.

You say your not a tight nit but said this in your opening statement:

Hello what happens to raising 10 10 to QQ and AK? Post flop raising large draws. Read the posts by BBC as he's 100% correct.

3 betting preflop is fine by when the donks come calling I might even see a flop with 9 2o if I'm in late position or already have something invested in the blinds. Your assigning dollar values to the bets, they are just bets. $20 is 1 BB $10 is 1/2 of BB they aren't calling $30 they are calling 1 1/2 BB.