Variation of the "Strange Situation"

Made me chuckle that this happened a few days after in another sit and go. Though there are some elements that are similar, I think you can see that the play made here by flash is probably not quite as strong as my play in my other thread. This time I got to play the role of the small chip guy ;)

Table '2848093 1' Seat #6 is the button
Seat 2: flashgator10 (3570 in chips)
Seat 5: Monteroy (695 in chips)
Seat 6: deerhunter01 (4400 in chips)
Seat 9: pupptmaster (4835 in chips)
pupptmaster: posts small blind 100
flashgator10: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Monteroy [As 6c]
Monteroy: raises 495 to 695 and is all-in
deerhunter01: calls 695
pupptmaster: folds
flashgator10: calls 495
*** FLOP *** [9c 3h 5h]
flashgator10: checks
deerhunter01: bets 3705 and is all-in
flashgator10: folds
*** TURN *** [9c 3h 5h] [Kc]
*** RIVER *** [9c 3h 5h Kc] [7c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Monteroy: shows [As 6c] (high card Ace)
deerhunter01: shows [7s Ks] (two pair, Kings and Sevens)
deerhunter01 collected 2185 from pot

Calling the all in with K7 (I know I know its SUITED) seemed a bit marginal to me to begin with. The after flop play was very curious. Obviously I assumed I was dead when he made that bet and was stunned when I saw his cards.

Now, he did have more chips then the other person so in a way he did put the same pressure on him that I had done in my other thread. He did do it with a flop showing though which he badly missed, so that struck me as being much more risky a play. That is not even including the fact that he is likely still behind me and has to get lucky to win anything, given no side pot when the other player folds.

I did think the aggressive elements of his play were interesting, though I think this was not quite the ideal situation to play in that manner.

However, it did make me curious what type of post flop hand I would be willing to do that play. On a flop of 3 5 9 I might be willing to do the all in play with K5 trying to get into heads up with the small chip person.

I did not like how deerhunter played his specific hand, but I have to admit I kind of liked that type of unconventional play when ahead on chips.

Comments

• His play was terrible, IMO, for 2 key reasons that you've already mentioned.

1) There was no side pot.
    2) If you had won the hand, you would be the proud owner of 2185 in chips. At the 100/200 level, that is a workable stack size, putting you right back in the game. Your stack wasn't 'micro' enough, and his wasn't big enough, to make a case for him wanting to keep you around.

Bizarre.

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • All_aces is right on. I think this situation is totally different for exactly the reasons he listed.

In fact, this is the reason my initial gut reaction was that I hated the original play you posted in the other thread: because, at first glance, it *looked* so much like the sort of brutal dry side pot play made here.

ScottyZ
  • Oh, I agree I hated his play given his hand. I guess my question would be, what type of hand would this play be reasonable to do? If you flop a complete moster you might bet less to win a side pot.

However, lets say he had K 9, so had top pair and a good kicker. Would the all in bet be decent then? What about second pair?

I find the actual post flop all in play in this situation to be an interesting one and I am trying to get a feel for when I would actually consider it to be a solid play rather then a reckless one that got lucky.
  • However, lets say he had K 9, so had top pair and a good kicker. Would the all in bet be decent then?

I'd probably bet into a dry side pot with such a hand. Betting all-in in this example seems reasonable given the pot & stack sizes.
    What about second pair?

More tricky. This is probably about the cut-off point between thinking your hand is good or not against both players (one of whom can't fold).

ScottyZ