Any other heads up fanatics out there?

I'll play anywhere from 5-10 heads up matches per week... low limits. My win rate is around 65% (give or take 5% when I'm running good or bad). Always looking at ways to improve though. I love the confidence boost this gives me when it gets to heads up play in a tournament.

Anyone else play often?

Comments

• I've been playing alot more headsup recently as well, mostly to fine tune HU strategies. Finding my win rate about the same as yours, but the suckout ratio is about the same. There's alot of weakness in the game on Stars, and I do enjoy exploiting it when I can.
  • I used to play a ton of these back in my SNG days. I started off playing them so that I could learn how to close in the SNG's and it was extremely helpfull.

I played them almost exclusively for about 6 weeks at one point and used a Martingale type system:

Play a $5.50, win it and I would play an $11, win it and I would play a $22, win it and I would go back to $5.50

If I lost the $5.50 I would still play an $11 but if I won that won I would drop back to a $5.50

$22's were tough back then, the others not so much.
  • just had a look a stars to see what the rake is on a HU SNG. wtf - SNGs no workie AGAIN! i'm going to assume the rake is around 5%.

i read somewhere a pro has about a 65% advantage over your average donk. by extrapolation, i would say a good forum player should have a 55-60% advantage. take away the rake, what does that leave you with? a marginally +ev game, maybe? with pretty high variance? i could probably use some work on my HU but i'm not going to put up 30-50 bucks for the privilege. is practise at the 10 dollar level of any use?

if you enjoy HU or want to work on your closing skills then who am i to argue. for me, i'll stick with regular SNGs where i expect a good player has much higher ev.
  • i like playing heads up.. it is a good confidence booster, hopefully not too much of one that is going to get me losing all my money!
  • Lately I have been really working on my HU game. Primarily with PLO, but occassionally holdem. I think it helps my overall game.

Don't play too much... Probably playing around 20-30 games / week.
  • cadillac wrote: »
    I played them almost exclusively for about 6 weeks at one point and used a Martingale type system...

hmmm... I like that idea. Maybe I'll try that. :)

I figured you need to win 55% of matches to break even... so running 65% is pretty good, I figure.

I also figure there's more skill involved in heads up. Maybe it's my own delusion, but the way I see it, the more correct decisions a player makes, the more a player eliminates the luck factor. In heads up, your constantly forced to make decisions because you're always in a hand (unlike in a S&G where you can sit back and wait). Therefore, (in my theory) there's more skill involved in a heads up battle.
  • Boredome is a huge problem for me online - but when I multi-table ring games, I don't do as well as when I have one ring game to focus on.

I play low-limit heads-up (mostly PLO8 ) when I'm playing another game and I'm getting bored.

Keeps me in lots of action without risking any significant $, and since there's only one player to pay attention to, it allows me to keep focused on my main game.
  • I CRUSH at limit Sng's or cash games!

My favorite game all time!
  • i used to be an affiliate of titan to make a long story short I used to play a lot of heads up match from $20- $100 events.

its the one game I can say forsure is that i am about 65% in heads up if not higher.

I like the game because there is so many bad players out there all you need a couple of good hands and you got them.\

When you do run into a good player you know it right away. i have played against some very talented players over the years
  • The Heads-up game is very exploitable under low on stars and on FTP. Thats what I play mainly and built a br doing it. There are quite a few regulars when u move up too high, played about 7-8 maybe i dont quite remember with 3 wins 4 times though i was in best with chip lead and rivered out so I can't accuratly evaluate the level there. The Martingale type system is pretty good people often use that when their losing to get even I forget what its called its in Barrys book, when i use it thought i play two 6s move up too 11 two 11's to hit 22 etc. Play 6.25 people are bad, if you play somewhat solid you can easily profit daily.
  • My friend owns 25c 50c NL on stars. Don't play that limit vs canadianfool -- he'll destroy you -- search him up ;)
  • I find that I play better heads up if I'm in a heads up tourny, but if I get heads up in a SnG or MTT i don't fair as well, probably because of the length differnece. I need to owrk on that.
  • 100% correct,

a smart player will not chase an ace and not call every hand..

soo many eurotards have paid me out over the years is's sick!
  • Hows The heads up rake on FTP & Stars?
    I play on party poker and its preety much 10%
  • pjb101 wrote: »
    Hows The heads up rake on FTP & Stars?
    I play on party poker and its preety much 10%

tree fiddy

edit: 'bout

edit: bump
  • I like heads up best, as online poker...live different rather more seats then...