bad beat... for the other guy (with question)

This was a pretty sweet hand, but I'm just wondering if people think I could have played it differently to get more money out of it. We were both slow playing the hand (although I didn't know it at the time). How would you play it to get more money out of it?

Any input is appreciated...

PokerStars Game #729558211: Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2004/09/29 - 08:33:34 (ET)
Table 'Shedir' Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Oledadfl ($17.60 in chips)
Seat 2: HarryDetroit ($24.75 in chips)
Seat 3: Paul3221 ($8.80 in chips)
Seat 4: leblondsky ($21.25 in chips)
Seat 6: philnkaz ($12.40 in chips)
Seat 7: Reg? ($36.90 in chips)
Seat 8: wrowew ($30.85 in chips)
Seat 9: Youth ($10.80 in chips)
philnkaz: posts small blind $0.10
Reg?: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Paul3221 [Qc Qs]
wrowew: calls $0.25
Youth: folds
Oledadfl: folds
HarryDetroit: raises $0.25 to $0.50
Paul3221: raises $1 to $1.50
leblondsky: folds
philnkaz: folds
Reg?: folds
wrowew: folds
HarryDetroit: raises $1 to $2.50
Paul3221: calls $1
*** FLOP *** [As Qd Qh]
HarryDetroit: checks
Paul3221: checks
*** TURN *** [As Qd Qh] [7h]
HarryDetroit: bets $0.25
Paul3221: calls $0.25
*** RIVER *** [As Qd Qh 7h] [3d]
riverj96 joins the table at seat #5
HarryDetroit: bets $0.25
Paul3221: raises $0.75 to $1
HarryDetroit: raises $6 to $7
Paul3221: calls $5.05 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
HarryDetroit: shows [Ah Ad] (a full house, Aces full of Queens)
Paul3221: shows [Qc Qs] (four of a kind, Queens)
Paul3221 collected $17.35 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $18.20 | Rake $0.85
Board [As Qd Qh 7h 3d]
Seat 1: Oledadfl folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: HarryDetroit showed [Ah Ad] and lost with a full house, Aces full of Queens
Seat 3: Paul3221 showed [Qc Qs] and won ($17.35) with four of a kind, Queens
Seat 4: leblondsky (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: philnkaz (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Reg? (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: wrowew folded before Flop
Seat 9: Youth folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Comments

• how could you get any more money out of this hand? You called all in didn't you?
  • yeah, I guess it was a bit (read very) dumb the way I worded it. I was thinking (but obviously not writing) more along the lines of "was it correct to slow play it early", or should I have been more aggressive and risked scaring him off.

Obviously, knowing the outcome, he would have called right to the end, but what if he only had one Ace, or a pair of kings?

Your right though. The way I worded it, the only way to get more money would have been to have more chips... :banghead:
  • the only way to get more money would have been to have more chips...

A vital concept at NL. You wait all session (or however long) for a hand like that. Make sure you have your opponent covered.

As for slowplaying it, I think one of the important requirements for slowplaying is not there. That is, that a free card might help your opponent. Namely, on that specific flop, your opponent either hits it fairly hard (AK or AA) or misses it completely and has an ultra-thin draw to improve to anything reasonable.

I like playing this hand fast simply to set up buying future pots. Always (even often) checking when you flop a monster, while betting when you have mediocre hands (or nothing as a bluff) is too predictable.

Surely you're getting all-in against AA here. But I think you might have been able to extract more value if your opponent had a worse hand, but perhaps one still worth calling you down with, say just an Ace. If your opponent has AK and you play it exactly the same as you did here, you'll possibly miss that final river bet for the extra $5.05.

ScottyZ