What did I do wrong -have to Vent

Ok Folks- just got finished playing a $20 single table tourney on Poker Stars. 10th hand of the game. I am BB get dealt AhJh. Four players limp in blinds are 10/20. I raise to $80. Everyone folds except for Player Q who calls. Player Q has played every single hand to this point and has been pretty lucky. I have $1400 and he has $2700.

Flop come down Ah, Kd, 3C. Q bets $20 I raise to 80 - he calls. Turn is 7c. He checks I bet $100. He calls. River is 4d he checks I go all in. He comes home with K4 and gets his two pair on the river. I finish last.

Two questions - Should I played this diffently on the flop and turn? Was I way to aggressive by going all in?

In hind sight - I should of probably bet something like $400 on the river - especially with it being so early. Any thoughts?

Comments

• I don't think AJs is not a good enough hand to commit to that early in the tournament. I may limp from the BB. I want to see the flop with this hand, but you're not in position to steal and you know this guy is going to call you. So, raising doesn't do very much in this case.

I think a big bet on the river makes him go all in anyway... Unfortunately opponents like that are very unpredictable. If he's willing to go all in with K4 two pair (regardless of the many hands that beat him, including a set), then there's not much you can do except check behind him. He's gambooling. Wait for these guys to bust out, then start playing poker. If you happen to hit a monster along the way, great, double up and move on...

You need more than top pair to go all in on this early in the tournament.

I'd get them to check that deck too... 2 Aces of Hearts makes for some interesting hands... ;)
  • I think your biggest mistake was not betting the size of the pot on the turn.
    There must have been $400 or more in the pot and you only bet $100.
    If you think your hand is good at this point you should bet at least close to the size of the pot or maybe against this player who seems to play any thing and chase everything you could overbet the pot here.
  • I'd probably bet bigger on the turn and check on the river. Question, what position is player Q in, SB? because you said he checked the flop and you bet. If I was last to act on the river, I would check it. If I was first, I'd bet the river but definetely not all in and if he raises then that would be a decision depending on how much he raises. I'd be worried about AQ, or more likely a ragged ace hitting his second card.
  • Sorry fellas - as I go back and read my notes - I was on the button.

As I think about it - my emotions got the better of me. I could not stand to see this clown win another good pot and therefore mad a bonehead play.

Thanks again,

Cory
  • "I could not stand to see this clown win another good pot and therefore mad a bonehead play."

Is the exactly why calling stations win big pots. You overbet bet with a less than premium hand and the calling station did exactly what their supposed to do. They called every bet. The way you describe this player is a perfect example of a calling station. As said before you really just need to sit and wait until you get the goods against a player like this. Play what you want before the flop but don't try to bluff a calling station! You will (and did) lose everytime!

Jamie.
  • Ok Folks- just got finished playing a $20 single table tourney on Poker Stars. 10th hand of the game. I am BB get dealt AhJh. Four players limp in blinds are 10/20. I raise to $80. Everyone folds except for Player Q who calls. Player Q has played every single hand to this point and has been pretty lucky. I have $1400 and he has $2700.
    OK. I like your raise. So far so good.
    Flop come down Ah, Kd, 3C. Q bets $20 I raise to 80 - he calls.
    I would have made it a little more, I think. There is 240 in the pot. I woudl have raised his $20 to about $200. A little "explore" bet like his is usually one of two things (1) An attempt to slow the betting to a tolerable level, or (2) the setting of a trap. In either case I want to put some fairly serious pressure on the pot to find out.
    Turn is 7c. He checks I bet $100. He calls.

Now there is $380 in the pot. I am going to bet about $300 to put some serious pressure on "bad aces" and other strange hands. He sounds like a calling station. So, put some pressure on him to release OR get some money from him. Be prepared to release if he plays back.
    River is 4d he checks I go all in. He comes home with K4 and gets his two pair on the river. I finish last.
    Hmm.... He has called you on the flop and on the turn. I EXPECT that he will call you on the river. Moving in is too risky. The pot was 580. I would bat about $400 and be prepared to fold if he plays back.
  • Thanks Dave - it really helps when you talk about the amount you would bet in each situation. No doubt that is one of the weak points of my game and when you put what you would bet in those situations it sure helps.

A question from your statement that I have not really thought about before. If someone calls you on the flop and turn are they most likely going to call you all the way to the river? Obviously I think this guy would - but is it normal or it to happen consistently?

Cory
  • In no-limit, bet enough to get the job done and no more is a good rule of thumb.

In the hand you descibe, on the river he either has a busted draw that will not call you anyway or he very possibly has a hand that you are losing too. Don't tap all in.