what are implied odds?

What are implied odds? I know pot odds etc., but implied odds 'sounds' to me like it means the odds you're going to get 'in the future'. So if your current pot odds are only 1/4 and you have 9 outs you need 1/5, but you can expect plenty of action, then you can count onyour implied odds to help you out?

Am i right?

Comments

• Implied odds are this:

if your in mp and 2 guys behind you are calling stations you can add their bets to the pot to get implied odds.
  • Stoneskin, yes you're on the right track. Implied odds are the FUTURE bets that you can expect to win IF you hit. I'm not sure that Tigerscott's scenario would be considered implied odds cuz its not factoring future bets.
  • I'm sure somebody will give you a very concise definition of implied odds, but here's a copy of a post I wrote a while back, that should get you on the right track:

When you factor in the implied odds of a no-limit game, where one $6 call could allow you to take someone's entire stack, you should treat this $6 bet as the gift it is, and just call.

Here's an example of a similar hand I posted here a while back:

(I've erased my opponent's name)

PokerStars Game #554295757: Hold'em No Limit ($5/$10)Table 'Hodios'
    Seat 1: all aces ($780 in chips)
    Seat 4: chess1980 ($247.50 in chips)
    Seat 5: B Buddy ($1631.95 in chips)
    Seat 6: Grandiose ($2036 in chips)
    Seat 7: XXXX ($945 in chips)
    Seat 8: PrettyHyoRi ($810 in chips)
    Seat 9: onthenod ($185.55 in chips)
    chess1980: posts small blind $5
    B Buddy: posts big blind $10
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to all aces [2h Ah]
    Grandiose: calls $10
    XXXX: calls $10
    PrettyHyoRi: folds
    onthenod: folds
    all aces: calls $10
    chess1980: folds
    B Buddy: checks
    *** FLOP *** [7s 3h Jh]
    B Buddy: checks
    Grandiose: checks
    rilgin joins the table at seat #2

XXXX: bets $40 <---as was the case in your hand, a close to pot-sized bet. At this point I looked at the $900 or so in front of this player, and called.

all aces: calls $40
    B Buddy: folds
    onthenod said, "zzzzzzzzzzzz"
    Grandiose: folds
    *** TURN *** [7s 3h Jh] [Kh]
    XXXX: checks
    all aces: bets $50
    XXXX: raises $140 to $190
    all aces: raises $150 to $340
    XXXX: raises $360 to $700
    all aces: raises $30 to $730 and is all-in
    XXXX: calls $30
    *** RIVER *** [7s 3h Jh Kh] [4c]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    XXXX: shows [Qh 5h] (a flush, King high)
    all aces: shows [2h Ah] (a flush, Ace high)
    all aces collected $1582 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot $1585 | Rake $3
    Board [7s 3h Jh Kh 4c]
    Seat 1: all aces (button) showed [2h Ah] and won ($1582) with a flush, Ace
    high
    Seat 4: chess1980 (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 5: B Buddy (big blind) folded on the Flop
    Seat 6: Grandiose folded on the Flop
    Seat 7: XXXX showed [Qh 5h] and lost with a flush, King high
    Seat 8: PrettyHyoRi folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: onthenod folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Implied odds are your friend. I can see that you'd think it's incorrect to flat-call a pot-sized bet on a draw, and in these cases, you'd be correct:

a) you're in a tournament, so there are a million other factors to consider.
    b) your opponent doesn't have a deep enough stack to reward you if you make your hand.
    c) you are not drawing to the nuts
    d) you think your opponent is skilled enough to fold if you make your hand and bet

However, if:

a) your opponent isn't that great a player
    b) his stack is deep
    c) you're drawing to the nuts, and
    d) the bet isn't enough to get you to fold a nut draw with all of the above factors working for you

then you should call the bet, and see another card. The risk would be worth the reward, and the last thing you want to do is raise, allowing him to try to end it right then and there.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Implied odds are computed in exactly the same way as pot odds, but using the "implied pot" instead of the actual pot. The implied pot includes expected future bets (other than your own future bets) as being in pot in addition to the current money in the pot.

Note that the word "expected" in there makes implied odds generally hard to calculate.
    So if your current pot odds are only 1/4 and you have 9 outs you need 1/5, but you can expect plenty of action, then you can count onyour implied odds to help you out?

The convention is to quote odds (against) as X to Y instead of fractions. What I think you're trying to say is that the pot is currently offering you 3 to 1 to attempt a 4 to 1 draw.

Yes, you can call here in most cases. If the future action you expect here is one more bet you have a borderline call-fold. In that case, the implied odds are 4 to 1. If you expect to win 2 or more bets if you hit your hand, this is a a correct call since your implied odds are now 5 to 1 or higher, which are better than the 4 to 1 drawing odds.

There's this poker book that explains all of this kind of stuff. What was the name of that one again? I've got this "condition". ;)

I also find all_aces' example a little strange. Forget about implied odds dude, you're *winning*. :cool: Of course, I'm just kidding. We can get the right idea (and it *is* a great example of implied odds at work) by just assuming that his Ace-high is probably no good on the flop.

ScottyZ
  • Lol Scotty... yes, I'm sorry, I did not think that my ace-high was good at that point.