Are Bots playing in online poker rooms?

Here is a very interesting article about the issue of bots playing in online poker rooms. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6002298/

I'd be interested in any thoughts or opinions.

Comments

• If they're out there playing low limit, they suck.
  • If they used too many bots, would the bots eventually end up playing each other? lol
  • The issue of 'bots rears it's head every now and again, especially on sites like RGP, where it's an almost daily occurrence. I look at the issue from a purely economic stance. Any site that is found to be using 'bots' will, at a bare minimum, go into the tank, financially, faster than Nortel when the bubble burst. These sites are cash cows for their owners, so why would they risk guaranteed revenue for just a little (relatively speaking) bit more?
  • Phred wrote:
    The issue of 'bots rears it's head every now and again, especially on sites like RGP, where it's an almost daily occurrence. I look at the issue from a purely economic stance. Any site that is found to be using 'bots' will, at a bare minimum, go into the tank, financially, faster than Nortel when the bubble burst. These sites are cash cows for their owners, so why would they risk guaranteed revenue for just a little (relatively speaking) bit more?

i think the article also implied individuals using bots to their advantage

either way, i agree with BBC (btw happy bday)
  • That would be an issue, of course. But again, the "wild west" framework of the internet would make this somewhat self-regulating. Any site found to tolerate this kind of action, or even thought to be ambivalent towards it, would lose market share quite quickly. Think about it. How fast would any of you move your bank-roll, or at least a portion of it, to a site that cost you 50% less than the site you use now? And how quickly copuld that change be made? On-line is the last area of the marketplace where the consumer is still king, or at least Ax-o . . .
  • i think the article also implied individuals using bots to their advantage

either way, i agree with BBC (btw happy bday)

Wow someone agreeing with me, what a birthday present ;)
  • Any site that is found to be using 'bots' will, at a bare minimum, go into the tank, financially, faster than Nortel when the bubble burst.

I think the issue with bots is that its the players that would be running them. So even if the pokerroom wanted to boot them, it would be very difficult..

In summary, I dont think the bots are out there (yet) and I think it was a very slow news day for MSNBC.