Opinion on strategy...

Hey guys I was wondering if everyone could put in there 2 cents here in helping me compile the best strategy for a certain game that I have started playing online and am finding quite enjoying...

NL Texas Holdem, max $25 buy in... at of course my favorite site, Ultimatebet.com

I personally have found that being tight on this end is perhaps the best way to go about things... tight-agressive.

However here is something that I have been trying, playing tight is great... but sometimes you play a not so good hand just protecting your big bling. Lets say for arguments sake, 9c8c is what you look down at. The flop comes, Jh 10d 8s... so here is a situation where you have the bottom pair on the flop(and an open ended straight draw). Only you and 2 others are in the hand. So what to do, I have tried the current situation... I am not going to put anyone on a HUGE hand like a set of J's or 10's... I am assuming that noone had a pocket pair of 8's pre flop... so here is what I did. I raise all in... the other two fold and I pick up the pot. What do you all think?

Do you think that this has a chance of working often, or do you think that I should just stick with playing tight-agressive... very conservative... get my money in when it counts and out when you dont have the goods? Would like opinions on this subject, thanks all.

Comments

• bump... noone has any opinions? :mad: :banghead: :rolleyes:
  • It's hard for people to comment on a hand when they don't have enough information. What was the preflop action? your position, other player's positions. And the betting action. Without knowing any of this, its hard to make any comments other than Scotty's 2 fav words "It Depends". The best way is to just post hand histories. Just blank out your name if you worried about your identity.
  • I raise all in...

I believe you mean *bet* all-in, right?

I probably wouldn't make this play. Sure you want to pick up the odd small pot every now and then at NL, but moving all-in doesn't seem like a sensible overbet here. (I'm assuming it's a large overbet since I don't know the details.) Committing your whole stack to a bluff into a small pot doesn't seem optimal.

This strikes me as exactly the kind of hand which, for a huge bet:

1. will almost never be called by a significantly worse hand

2. when called, will either be only a small favorite (nearly a coin toss), or be significantly behind.

My feeling is you will not win enough small pots to make up for the times when your opponent wakes up with a big hand behind you and wins your whole stack.

And be careful what hands you read your opponents for. I'd often limp-in in low-limit NL with hands like JJ, TT, 88, JT, etc. Kind of for the reason that my opponents might do things like move all-in with hands like bottom pair/straight draw. ;)

Please try to avoid "bumping" threads if there doesn't seem to be a good reason to do so. This is a courtesy to the forum readers.

I say this as I wander off to bump a different thread (but for a reason). ;)

ScottyZ
  • Moving in on this hand will win small pots or loose big ones. With all things put aside (ie. reads, stack sizes, etc.) you will lose a lot more with this play than you win.
  • Thanks for the responses guys... I am enjoying these forums and all of your advice. :)