A MTT situation...

Hi Dave and everyone!

It's my first post here on the forum...

I've been taking good information here for a while now.

I played in my first PokerForum.ca last week and managed to finish 3rd :D. Beginner's Luck!

By the way, a bit late but congrats on your nice finish in the WSOP Dave. I really enjoyed reading the reports on your trip. Let's go for the final table next year!

Now to my main subject, I just read Goms27 post and have a similar question...

Few days ago, I was in MTT 10+1 on Stars near the bubble (not really an important factor in this case). 54th place paid 22$.

Just been moved to a new table, 6000 in chips, short stack (the average is around 12000) blinds 300, 600, ante 50. By the way DJEP was at that table.

In the BB, AQ off suit, all fold to the button -1, he just call (he has around 7500-8000 in chips), button and and small blind fold. 2nd hand at the table, so no idea how this guy's playing...

What are you doing Dave and everyone? :confused:

The conclusion later...

Comments

• A Q off is not a hand I would just call with personally, near the bubble you have to be a little more aggressive.

I would raise to 2500-3000 to see if he really wants to play his hand. I realize that would be about half of you stack but for the button only 1/3 and enough of a hit to hurt him.

It would be a tough call if he raised but if he did, I would move all in.

I would not want to see a flop as he does.
  • I'd make it 2,000 to go.

Here's where a read on your opponent (though unavailable here) would be of incredible value. You don't need much of an in-depth read at all to get some good information. All I need to know is roughly how often this player attempts to steal the blinds.

Limping-in in steal position seems quite strange. What kinds of hands will a typical (i.e. unknown) opponent have here?

Is he really trying to trap you with a monster hand like AA-QQ or AK? Does he simply have a hand that wants to see the flop cheaply, like 76s or 33?

My inclination is to go with the latter, both in terms of probability (AA-QQ or AK occurs far less often than the other hands would), and also in terms of (lack of) opponent read. I'm *not* going to give an unknown player credit for being good enough to make a fancy play by setting a trap with AA-QQ right here.

If my opponent re-raises all-in, I'll proably call. So be it if he made a nice move with a hand that dominates me.

If we see the flop, I'll probably move all-in on a lot of flops. I might slow down if a King pops up, or on a highly co-ordinated flop.

ScottyZ
  • TY for your answers Dead Money and ScottyZ...

Like you said Scotty, it would maybe have been more profitable for me to have any info on that guy...Like you, In this particular situation, I assumed that most of the time, a "basic" player in that position who just limp means "I want to see the flop cheaply".

So assuming that, I just decided that I was happy with taking the antes, his call, and the small blind by just moving in considering that a standard raise would almost have taken half of my chips (Maybe I didn't want to face any difficult situation on the flop too :) still learning)...and if he really wants to call, I should be the favorite in the hand assuming that my thinking is right...(maybe it was my error) I should have assumed that sometimes basic players will call an all-in bet for most of there chips with any marginal hand...I also figure that maybe my move looked like a total bluff...even there...well...

I like your idea of raising 2000 and see what happens...I would probably move-in pre-flop if he re-raise or make the move him self (considering the info I have)...And post-flop also...

I will try to apply the new black next time...6x BB to move-in... :)

Ohh, by the way, he called my all-in with K3s, flopped two pairs, and I was done! (not really important...if I can fell that my play is ok...but in this case...I'm not sure)

And on the other side, was his call that horrible? I know that I wasn't that much of a favorite. Maybe the way he played the hand, limp and call...Personnaly I would not play those cards, or maybe try to steal if I know that I have a good chance of taking the blinds.

Any though?

TY

By the way, sorry for the English, not my first language...
  • And on the other side, was his call that horrible?

Yes it was.

ScottyZ
  • mads777 wrote:
    And on the other side, was his call that horrible? QUOTE]

He should have never called you!!!

Next time raise it so much that you or he can walk away if his intent to call you anyway.
  • Few days ago, I was in MTT 10+1 on Stars near the bubble (not really an important factor in this case). 54th place paid 22$.
    The first part of my analysis is that although there may be some skilled players in the field, the overall level of skill and experience will be quite low.
    Just been moved to a new table, 6000 in chips, short stack (the average is around 12000) blinds 300, 600, ante 50. By the way DJEP was at that table.
    You are under some pressue, but to desperate. There is still time to wait for a good opportunity.
    In the BB, AQ off suit, all fold to the button -1, he just call (he has around 7500-8000 in chips), button and and small blind fold. 2nd hand at the table, so no idea how this guy's playing...
    Good question.

There is 2000 in the pot. A 33% increase to my stack. I would like to win this pot. Three things I am thinking about: (1) Has this player limped in with a monster? (2) If not, will he fold to an all-in move from me? (3) If I check, how am I going to play the flop and will I get paid off?

Since I do not know anything about the player I can't get ANY feeling about his hand. However, given the size of the buy-in I will suspect that his limp indicates an "implied odds hand" which is to say a hand that he wants to see the flop cheaply. Will he fold? My guess is that he will not fold any pocket pair (based upon my feelings for what MOST low-limit players will do) but he might fold hands like J-T etc.

I think the prefered play is to check and then fire about $1500 at the flop no matter what comes. Moving in pre-flop is likely to get called and you will simply not have that big an edge (60-40 is about all you can hope for). If he misses the flop that you will win the pot having only risked another $1500. If he calls or plays back then you can escape the hand with $4K left.

Moving in pre-flop is also a decent play. The downside is that it puts all of your chips at risk. Personally I am becoming more comfortable with playing hands post flop and I don't mind taking the flop off.
  • Limp in CO position is scary he wants action and is trapping you.

Check it!
    I'd see a flop and hope for the best..

I feel he has AA or KK maybe even QQ or AKs

I believe your behind PF.