tourney situation

Dave et all - need some clarification.

Playing the $11 tourney last night on poker stars.

Blinds are 75/150. I got $2900. Player x has $12,000. I'm BB and he is three seats in front of me. All game he is trying to steal blinds and doing a pretty good job of it. Average stack at that point in the tourney is around $7,000. I get QQ. Everybody folds he raises $350.00. Button and sb fold. I raise him to 1,000 - he calls. Flop comes down at 8h, 9s and 10c. He bets $500 and I go all in and he calls. He has Ah-7d. The turn and river turn up nothing and I win with pair of Queens. He goes on rampage as to how huge he is over me and how he cannot beleive that I called him after the flop. He goes on to say that his straight potential and high card Ace should of kicked my queens. I say nothing but lol to him.

My thinking was that after the flop all I wnated to do was protect my hand. I was fairly confident that he did not have pocket aces of kings.

Did I make the right play? Does he have a point in all his complaining?

Comments

• This is ridiculous. He had 7 outs, all of which are vulnerable to re-draws from QQ.

Perhaps he has failed to notice that his "straight potential" is a gutshot.

You're a *big* favorite here. My guess is that you're about a 7-3 favorite. Now let me go check it. ;)

Okay, it was more like 75-25. :cool:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=520862

pokenum -h ah 7d - qd qc -- 8h 9s tc
    Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 9s Tc 8h
    cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
    7d Ah 244 24.65 726 73.33 20 2.02 0.257
    Qc Qd 726 73.33 244 24.65 20 2.02 0.743
    Did I make the right play?

I think so. I might play it more cautiously if the stacks were deeper, but as it was I think I would have moved all-in too.

ScottyZ
  • Does he have a point in all his complaining?
    No, not at all.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • As scotty points out, you are about 75% favourite post-flop with your ladies, largely because they mean that a Jack won't help your opponent. He needs a 6 to make his straight (4 outs) or an Ace (3 outs) to beat you. Interestingly, if you had Kings instead of Queens, you would *only* be about a 60% favourite post-flop because he would then have the open-ended straight draw (jacks help him here, as do sixes). But any way you slice it, he is a buffoon for beaking off at all. Please tell us you went on to bust him out later on???
  • Thanks everyone. I thought so - but always nice to that the correct play was made from you guys.
  • I think you made a very good play forcing him to pay for the outdraw. He missed and was just bitter! :banghead:
  • For Nurse and everyone - I did not bust him out. But you all can help me iwth my last play of the tourney and this time on reflection I may have made a dumb play.

Blinds are 200/400. I am in 220th place out of a starting 1200. Top 99 are in the money. I am fairly short stacked with $2400. Average amount for everyone left in the tourney is around $10,000.

I get dealt JJ. I am on the button and everyone before me folds. I raise half my stack with $1200. The BB raises me antoher $1200 and forces me all in. I call and he has AA. Flop produses nothing and I am out. I cannot help you with the type of player this guy was as he just got moved to our table a couple of hands earlier.

Should I have folded at the raise he gave me to force me all in? My thinking was that being short stacked I did not have a choice but to go all in. Any more thoughts?
  • I think that your thinking is correct...just got unlucky.
  • I'm certainly going to be playing my JJ for all of my chips in the situation you described.

I'd prefer simply moving all-in pre-flop. All_aces will certainly get excited over the fact that you have exactly 6 times the big blind. ;)

I'm moving all-in pre-flop any time I have 6*BB (or less) and I want to raise.

Calling the re-raise for your last 1,200 is easy when you have little or no information about your opponent. Actually, I would need *very* specific information (namely, knowing with a great deal of certainly that he does not hold AK, TT or worse) to fold here.

ScottyZ
  • 6 X BB is the new black. I tried to find out how to email the guy who runs the 'things that are the new black' website, but there's no contact info., and apparently no way to post a message.

10 X BB used to be 'all in or fold' for me. Now, I realize it's 6, not 10, which gives me some more leeway when I'm in the death throes of a tournament.

Regards,
    all_aces