QQ's in the WSOP

Dave,
Im the guy with the QQ who you busted in the WSOP. I have been pondering my call for a while and after reading your transcript would like your opinion, especially as i aim to play many more large tourneys in the future!

I had, if i recall correctly, about 8k in chips and the blinds were 200-400 (50 or 100 ante) and i had made it 2k to go up front. i was short stacked as the avg was about 20k and a double through would have been a good option.
I did ponder the fold, but decided that i would stuggle to nick the blinds of the two large stacks to my left and that if i didnt call and gone through another round i would have about 5k left, and we were nearing the end of that level (i think).
Could have i waited for a better opportunity (if i knew i wasnt against AA or KK)? The best i could have hoped for would have been that you had a lower pair of course.

Surviving is key of course but then there is the question of playing to win, which was probably the last thought that went through my mind. It think this is actually quite a relevant tourney question in general of course.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Regards,

Ben

Comments

• Nice to meet you.

This is, I think, the mention from my WSOP journal?

Next lap of the button I have in the big-blind with A-K. The UTG player raises, it is folded around to me and I put him all in. He calls with Q-Q. King on flop. I bust another. After 40 minutes I have 90K.
    As I recall you turned to me and said "Are we gambling?" and then you guessed (correctly) that we were and called.

I go bust with your hand. If you can ABSOLUTLEY put me on A-A or K-K then fold but that would be pretty remarkable. But, if I am you I can't put me on that specific a hand. You had, at that point, seen me check-raise a late position player once and win. And, against the same players I checked top pair to him twice. Based on those two hands, I would expect a player like me to slow play A-A or K-K especially against a rather small stack. My big raise looks like an attempt to take it right now (which it was). So... I call, same as you. It looks to me (if I am you) for a good chance at a double through. Which it was.

And... welcome to Canada.

Just bad luck really.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the response. I think i should have seen you were on a rush and folded, but i did need to double up. I would play it the same again.

See you next year...but hopefully much later in the tourney when your not flopping quad aces.

Ben
  • Great post guys! That's pretty cool to have two guys that went heads up at the WSOP talking about their hand. For the record Fribble, I think you did exactly what you HAD to do in that situation....