Question of the month

New idea for the magazine. I pose a question here which I have received from somebody (usually a magazine reader or someone who has read my book). The only rule is that you MUST limit your answer to 100 words or less. Some will be reprinted in CPP.

Here is today's question from James in the UK who has been reading my WSOP Journal on the gutshot site.

"How do you go from being a Rock to being a Fox?"

Comments

• Dave i just wanted to say, your WSOP journal is a great read. I'm sure the $100 you kept dropping around town, gave you some definite good karma.
  • What's the deadline for responses that would considered for the CPP?

ScottyZ
  • Next three days or so. I will be earlier next month. And, I am not sure that this will go in the magazine. No promises. I am always looking at new things for the magazine and I like this idea, but I will have to see if there is space.
  • How about:

Put simply, a Rock has a good idea of the value of his/her own hand, whereas a Fox has a good idea of the value of all of the hands at the table. To become a Fox, the first step is to begin thinking about what your opponents' hands are as you play. It may start off as nothing more than a guessing game at first. However, with careful observation, thought, and practice, trial and error will change to pattern recognition; and at the highest level, you'll be able to all but literally put yourself in your opponents' shoes.

(99 words... 100 words or less is tough!) ;)

ScottyZ
  • First, play at a limit you are very comfortable with. A Fox has to take
    chances from time to time while a Rock is risk averse. Watch the play
    of every hand, put your opponents on hands, and see how accurate you are
    at the showdowns. When you can see how your opponents play, start thinking of ways to jerk them around. If and when they catch on to your
    moves, change gears. Be wary when dancing with other foxes.
  • Unfortunately, a rock is an inanimate object that cannot be suddenly turned into a fox (unless one is adept at magic of course). However, I suppose that over eons of time the rock will eventually be broken into its molecular constituents by the wind, rain, and sun. I suppose that some of these molecules will find there way into the structure of certain plants which in turn may be eaten by rabbits and then the rabbits eaten by foxes. So in a way, a rock can be transformed into a fox. The key being time, though, and a breakdown of the components of the rock, followed by there reconstruction into a more advanced object.
  • Zephyr wrote:
    Unfortunately, a rock is an inanimate object...

No good. 114 words.

ScottyZ
  • 98 words, and I didn't count 'AA' as a word, etc.... is this cheating? Hell, I can't say anything in 100 words or less.

A rock starts to become a fox when he starts thinking about winning pots without holding the best cards. What amount does he have to bet to get a player with AK to fold a K J T rainbow flop? Which players at the table would be able to make this kind of a fold? His victims are the players who are good enough to think: 'I'm losing to AA KK JJ TT AQ Q9 JT KT and KJ'. He singles out these players, and bets, raises, and check-raises them into folding even their big hands, with any two cards of his own. And then he changes gears.
  • The Rock should drop a level for comfort, and begin "ghosting" opponents hands. Once you become proficient, than loosen the purse strings slowly. By doing this, the Rock steps out of their shell without the dangers inherent in moving beyond their comfort zone. I would say that if you can put your opponents on a hand with relative consistency, say 50-75% (allowing for hands you will never see), then you can begin the transformation process. But then, what the hell do I know? I hate wrestling . . .
  • what scotty said, plus amen. 100 words lol
  • Column as it may appear in October... (check to see how many words I edited you down to).

Every month Canadian Poker Player poses a question on www.PokerForum.ca. There is only one rule: answers must be limited to 100 words. The best answer, as judged by our readers wins a free Canadian Poker Tour hat. Vote for your favorite answer by emailing dave@CanadianPokerPlayer.com.

“How do you go from being a Rock to being a Fox?”

Put simply, a Rock has a good idea of the value of his/her hand, whereas a Fox has a good idea of the value of all the hands at the table. To become a Fox, begin thinking about what your opponents' hands are. It may start off as nothing more than a guessing game. However, with careful observation, thought, and practice, trial and error will change to pattern recognition and, at the highest level, you'll be able to all but literally put yourself in your opponents' shoes. – ScottyZ
    87 words

First, play at a limit you are very comfortable with. A Fox takes chances from time to time while a Rock is risk averse. Watch the play of every hand. Put your opponents on hands and see how accurate you are at the showdowns. When you see how your opponents play, think of ways to jerk them around. If and when they catch on to your
    moves, change gears. Be wary when dancing with other foxes. – pro
    fessor
    76 words

A rock becomes a fox when he starts winning pots without holding the best cards. What amount does he have to bet to get a player with A-K to fold a K-J-T rainbow flop? Which players would be able to make this kind of a fold? His victims are the players who are good enough to think: “I’m losing to A-A, K-K, J-J, T-T, A-Q, Q-9, J-T, K-T, and KJ.” He singles out these players and bets, raises, and check-raises them into folding even their big hands, with any two cards of his own. And then he changes gears. – all aces
    99 words

The Rock should drop a level for comfort, and begin "ghosting" opponents’ hands. Once you become proficient, slowly loosen the purse strings. By going slow, the Rock steps out of his shell without the dangers inherent in moving beyond his comfort zone. If you can put your opponents on a hand with relative consistency, say 50-75% (allowing for hands you will never see), then you can begin the transformation process. – Phred
    70 words
  • Column as it may appear in October... (check to see how many words I edited you down to).

Every month Canadian Poker Player poses a question on www.PokerForum.ca. There is only one rule: answers must be limited to 100 words. The best answer, as judged by our readers wins a free Canadian Poker Tour hat. Vote for your favorite answer by emailing dave@CanadianPokerPlayer.com.

“How do you go from being a Rock to being a Fox?”

Put simply, a Rock has a good idea of the value of his/her hand, whereas a Fox has a good idea of the value of all the hands at the table. To become a Fox, begin thinking about what your opponents' hands are. It may start off as nothing more than a guessing game. However, with careful observation, thought, and practice, trial and error will change to pattern recognition and, at the highest level, you'll be able to all but literally put yourself in your opponents' shoes. – ScottyZ

First, play at a limit you are very comfortable with. A Fox takes chances from time to time while a Rock is risk averse. Watch the play of every hand. Put your opponents on hands and see how accurate you are at the showdowns. When you see how your opponents play, think of ways to jerk them around. If and when they catch on to your
    moves, change gears. Be wary when dancing with other foxes. – pro
    fessor

A rock becomes a fox when he starts winning pots without holding the best cards. What amount does he have to bet to get a player with A-K to fold a K-J-T rainbow flop? Which players would be able to make this kind of a fold? His victims are the players who are good enough to think: “I’m losing to A-A, K-K, J-J, T-T, A-Q, Q-9, J-T, K-T, and KJ.” He singles out these players and bets, raises, and check-raises them into folding even their big hands, with any two cards of his own. And then he changes gears. – all aces

The Rock should drop a level for comfort, and begin "ghosting" opponents’ hands. Once you become proficient, slowly loosen the purse strings. By going slow, the Rock steps out of his shell without the dangers inherent in moving beyond his comfort zone. If you can put your opponents on a hand with relative consistency, say 50-75% (allowing for hands you will never see), then you can begin the transformation process. – Phred
    the fox is a rare type of poker player in my books, he is the best of the best, one who sits at the final table of the wsop and plays very high limit games, one who can feast on all your chips when looking for a snack, one who makes you wonder why you even thought you were any good at this game in the first place. Now to go from a rock to a fox is a tough question since i am not a fox yet. you well become what u want when you study the game inside and out.
    you never know what u can do tell you try. pokerpimp