Positional question?

Dave had a question regarding position.

The game is loose-passive. New player sits down and he is a "maniac", raises 7-5s, q-9o etc. and starts to create these very large pots. New player is starting to put the whole table on tilt.

My question is this: Do I want to be to the maniacs immediate left and raise him when the opportunity presents itself , so as to isolate him from the rest of the field, or do I want to be to his immediate right and let him lead the action and that way I can see where i am against him and the field and/or close the betting ? Which is more adventageous? And don't say " it depends".
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• To his left...always. Especially if you have a rather tight image at the table. No depends here.
  • I know the conventional wisdom is that the money flows to the left, but I think I'd prefer sitting to his right. It will (should) make me tighten up - i.e. I muck hands that I otherwise might talk myself into seeing a flop with *cuz it will only cost me 1 bet*. With this maniac, I will always suspect a raise and thus I won't go in with anything but strong hands or hands that could become the nuts. And better still, if all I ever do is call, and allow him to raise for me, I'm perfectly disguised...NO ONE will know what I've got.
    Now, after a while he may get sick of leading the betting only to see me rake many (the majority?) of the pots I enter. This may lead him to start calling instead of raising whenever I'm in the pot - and this isn't bad either - we've reined him in a bit and despite his positional advantage he is afraid of me. If this transformation never happens, I let him keep betting my hands for me...sooner or later OTHER players will fear me, seeing that I only play strong hands and they will bail out...leaving me heads up with the maniac. Nice.

Feel free to make swiss cheese out of me, fellas.
  • I would want the seat to his immediate left.

The ability to (pretty much) automatically 3-bet the pot pre-flop any time I want to is a gift from poker heaven.

The secret here is that any loose-passive player I have ever seen suddenly becomes ultra-tight when facing 3 bets pre-flop. This exact situation happened to me at the Brantford 5-10 once. Many of the players wised up quickly and loosened up somewhat for the maniac's 2-bet; however, I was able to get heads-up with the maniac every pot I played (while the maniac was still there) that session.

I almost always want to be to the left (most times the immediate left) of any kind of bad player. In my experience the conventional wisdom that money moves left is right. Ummm... is correct.

This is not to say that there aren't certain types of *good* players which I would like to be to the left of. (For example, a skilled and tricky loose-aggressive player.)
    With this maniac, I will always suspect a raise and thus I won't go in with anything but strong hands or hands that could become the nuts.

Wouldn't you rather *know* whether or not he'll be raising instead of merely suspecting it? Sit on the maniac's left and you will.

Regardless of your seat position relative to the maniac, my feeling is that it would generally be wrong to see the flop for exactly 2 bets when one player in the game is raising an insane number (like 70%+) of the pre-flop pots. It's reraise or fold time (or limp-reraise depending on your relative position....OMG "it depends"!!!) ;)

ScottyZ
  • Left, every time. Isolate by 3-betting, and then destroy his stack. That's what maniacs are for! :)
  • I want to be 2 seats to his left... with all_aces between us!!
    3-betting the maniac... only to have all_aces cap it behind me is not a situation I want to be in!!!:D
  • It's always interesting when you have two tight but aggressive players to the left of a maniac. The maniac raises, the player to his left doesn't credit him for much of a hand and 3-bets with hands he wouldn't normally 3-bet, like KQ or 66, to isolate him. The player to his left doesn't credit the maniac with a hand, and knows that the middle player doesn't either, so he knows the middle player's cards aren't necessarily as good as they usually are, so he caps it with a variety of hands to isolate the isolator and the maniac...

What a mess. When all's said and done, the amount of money that went into the pot pre-flop usually makes it correct to call to the river with unusual draws and/or unlikely pairs, so unusual hands--usually the maniac's--win more than their fair share.

Table change! :D

Even though NL hold'em is HUGE right now, limit hold'em is still, IMHO, an extremely interesting and challenging game.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • all_aces wrote:
    Left, every time. Isolate by 3-betting, and then destroy his stack. That's what maniacs are for! :)

But in your next post you talk about goofy hands winning pots because the odds to call are there.....
    This is why I like the right of the maniac. You're UTG, you call the BB, the maniac raises, and around the horn it goes. Now you are in a position to see what kind of investment you will be making - have you got a strong draw and there are 6 callers? Maybe you have QQ and hate your chances against 6 callers. Or your K 9 suited looks shabby against just the maniac and 1 caller, but real good against 5 players. THe problem is, if the rest of the table has some sensible players that correctly identify the maniac and discount his ramming and jamming, it might be VERY difficult to isolate him (I think your last post acknowledges this).

I agree that the left is generally best, but I guess my point is that being to the right of the maniac isn't necessarily a bad seat. Let me put it this way - would you turn it down? In fact, any seat at the table is probably a good one to have, but it will depend :banghead: :banghead: on the rest of the table too. Is he scaring them all away (tightening up) or are they firing chips and calling with any 2?
  • Don't fold QQ pre-flop getting 13-1 pot odds against 7 players.

Don't call either. (in this case)

K9s goes in the muck UTG knowing there is even a *reasonable* chance of the pre-flop action going 2 bets, maniac or no maniac.

I'd have to say that the seat to the immediate right of a maniac is the worst seat. I ceratinly would not turn it down if the alternative is *no* seat, but I'd choose any other seat over it. (Okay, okay, to the immediate right may be a bit better than 2 or 3 to the maniac's right.)

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Don't fold QQ pre-flop getting 13-1 pot odds against 7 players.

Don't call either. (in this case)

ScottyZ
    I agree, but u don't feel real good about your chances with 7 callers, do you?
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    K9s goes in the muck UTG knowing there is even a *reasonable* chance of the pre-flop action going 2 bets, maniac or no maniac.

ScottyZ
    Not sure about this....I think it might warrant a call but I haven't got the software to crunch it and back it up...you hit the flush and you likely get paid off large, especially if the board consists of undercards.
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    I'd have to say that the seat to the immediate right of a maniac is the worst seat.
    ScottyZ

Not if the maniac looks like Maria Sharapova and the goof that rushed into the seat on her left keeps blowing smoke her direction.

And to quote forrest gump, "that's all I have to say about that". :rolleyes:
  • I agree, but u don't feel real good about your chances with 7 callers, do you?

How many callers were there? Let's say it's the maniac + 6 callers + you in the pot = 8 players total, just to nail down the specifics.

You don't expect to win 100% of the hands with the QQ. Not even 50%. But you *will* win far more than the "fair share" of 12.5% of the 8-way pots in the long run when holding QQ. Since everyone (including players who will win less than 12.5% of the pots in the long run) is putting the same amount of money in pre-flop, you can't help but make money here (assuming your post-flop play is reasonably good).

I like 22 in the same situation (if we ignore the poor initial call for one bet UTG), so I like QQ even moreso. Of course I would *not* reraise with the 22.

Against a maniac and many callers, your QQ is the best hand right now. Getting a lot of money in the pot when you have the best hand is excellent poker. Raise it up when it comes back around to you.

Again, I'd much prefer to pick up that QQ to the immediate *left* of the maniac. Then I can 3-bet the hand to make the post-flop decisions easier for myself. However, if I was glued to the seat on the maniac's right, going for the limp-reraise with the QQ UTG would probably be my approach.

ScottyZ
  • Also, given my track record of how I tend to do when it's specifically *me* going up against my table Uber-fish, my maniac will have AA this particular hand. :)

ScottyZ
  • But in your next post you talk about goofy hands winning pots because the odds to call are there.....
    Hi NH,

I fear I was being taken a bit out of context. The post about 'maniacs winning goofy pots' (the second of my posts) was about two tight-aggressives to his left (who know how to play maniacs), not one. It can get a bit messy in that case, yes, with people trying to isolate people who are isolating and eventually the pot getting big enough preflop to actually give the maniac odds.

In my first post, I was talking about what happens much more often, which is that there is one tight aggressive to his left, isolating him with any Group 4 hand or better by 3-betting him, and succeeding in isolating him, making the pot heads-up. This is an ideal situation.... you control the action with your position, and it's easy to play against a maniac. Value bet/raise if you make anything. Call him down with ace high. In my PokerRoom $25/$50 games, I generally wouldn't play unless there was a maniac in them, and 90% of the time, there was. I'd be on his/her left, every time.

Regards,
    all_aces

ps: as for whether I'd actually 'turn down' a seat to a maniac's right, well, no... but for me, it's not even worth discussing whether right or left is better because the answer (for me) isn't debatable. For once, lol... :)
  • I hear and agree with everything you have said. I didn't take it out of context so much as I'm guilty of 1)not articulating too well and 2)jamming 2 different thought processes into one posting.
    I think I was looking at a situation which would likely occur more frequently in a low-limit game (which I tend to frequent) where you get many callers and thus ISOLATING the maniac is difficult if not impossible. Though I will have to take your word for it, I certainly suspect that at the limits you are referring to it would be easier to ISOLATE the maniac and this is best done from the left.
    WHat I would ask you to think about is if you were playing a $0.25/$0.50 limit game on stars, and isolating the maniac was not possible, would it matter whether you were to his left or right? Or, perhaps another scenario would be - you are seated BETWEEN 2 maniacs - do you try to move so you are on the left of both, or do you stay put? Interested in your response, as always.
    Thanks,
    NH
  • It is the phenomenon of poker that in many circumstances the favorite will still USUALLY lose. Q-Q against seven random hands will probably lose. But, you should still get as many raises in pre-flop as you can.

The original question has been well answered by the thread.

You prefer to be to the left of the maniac. Loosen up some and three-bet frequently.

If you are to the right, tighten up some and back raise frequently.

In either case you are adding to your win rate, but you are also adding to your variance. In other words, fasten your seat belt it's going to be a wild ride.
  • Most of you guys are considering pre-flop situations. Sitting to the left of the maniac is great for pre-flop play, especially if you can 3-bet after the maniac and isolate him. However, if you have an especially loose table, and that's not the case (i.e. Micro-Limits or Brantford/Rama 2/5), then you lose your pre-flop advantage, and you should move to his right to give you a post-flop advantage. Bet out knowing he'll raise to protect your hand, or check, knowing that he'll bet, making you last to act, allowing you to pump strong draws and take one off with a weak draw knowing you won't be raised behind.

Funny that everyone here said you should sit to the left of the maniac. Consensus at the 2+2 Micro-Limit forums is to sit to the right of the maniac...
  • This is an interesting thought.

I don't play at micro limits so I am not too familiar with the game conditions. But my instinct is that you are correct. In a game where nobody respects raises then using the maniac to manipulate the pot from your left sounds attractive.