Dave: Lookin' Good

Watching last night's ESPN broacast of the WSOP, who should I spy? Why Canada's own Dave Scharf sitting right there at the feature table. And the hand they chose to feature was a beauty. Dave bluff raises with 76s, reraised by a player with 55. Flop brings a set of 5's to the other player - but Dave has the str8 flush draw. And the winner is of course Dave.

By the way, Gus didn't seem to be his usual chatty self and seemed a bit off his game. You weren't by any chance being the charming and entertaining one at the table? If anything can tilt Gus, it's lack of attention. :)

And as a non-Canadian (OK I've outted myself) why did my husband laugh out loud when they said you were from Saskatoon? Anyone? Anyone?

Dave, you looked mahvelous,
Amy

Comments

• damn I missed it!
  • sloth wrote:
    damn I missed it!

Is that a "damn, I wish I had ESPN", or a "damn, I actually do happen to get ESPN in Canada and I missed it"? :)

ScottyZ
  • WSOP finals round 3 and 4 are now available on torrent.

tvt.milfclan.com
  • Loving that shirt, much better than those ones that Don Cherry wears :) Nice hand by the way, ballsy call.
  • hmm. On second thought, maybe it was the shirt my husband was laughing at...quite a stunner.
  • That is the nut shirt.

ScottyZ
  • When TSN starts showing this stuff at the end of September, you can expect the exact same discussions, but more of them. I personally plan to start an entire thread about your shirt. I may even canvass to have a brand new section added to the forum, for specifically that purpose.

Personally, I like the shirt. Great still shot from the show, thanks for posting it Big J. Now I'm *REALLY* looking forward to the WSOP broadcasts in Canada...

Cheers,
    all_aces
  • The shirt was given to me at my staff Xmas party by a guy who knew I liked poker. When I got up that morning in Las Vegas I knew that it was "Make the money day" so it seemed the right shirt to wear. I actually wore my Canadian Poker Player jacket hoping for a free plug on ESPN, but got too hot and had to take it off. Darn.

I haven't seen the episode, but my partner Randy tells me that I only got on for two hands... Ah, the cost of not being Gus Hanson and being a "nobody from Saskatoon." Sounds like my "interesting hands" never made the show. Sigh.

Ah well... next year... next year...
  • so glad I get ESPN... I got to see Dave play. Yeah, unfortunately, they only showed 2 hands. You gotta tell us what your mindset was when you called the all in with the 76 suited. I really liked that call. Its like you saw he had the wired 5s. Good work "Ramblin Dave" Scharf
  • Watching Episode 4 as we speak, only took me like 4 hous to download it tonight.

They do mention your Radio show in Saskatoon and call yah Ramblin Dave enough times.
  • They mention my nickname and radio show! Cool! Did they mention the magazine?

What was I thinking? I looked back at my notes and I can't find the hand. I haven't seen the episode so someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I *think* what happened is I attempted to steal a short stack's blind. If I saw the show and could see that the player in question looked like I could be more certain. To my surprise, and chagrin, he re-raised all-in. It was a close call. I figured that I was a dog (obviously) but that I was getting sufficient pot odds to call. I was willing to put put him on a big ace or any pair. Against that range of hands a 7-6s is around 2-1 and I was getting very close to 2-1 odds on the call. I was stealing more than my share and he might have even have a much wide range of hands than that. I thought about it and decided that I had the odds to make the call AND losing the hand would NOT decimate my stack since I have A LOT of chips.

Is that the hand? The money went in pre-flop didn't it?
  • I think it's awesome that you have no idea what they said about you... :) You were just on an ESPN show that gets VERY high ratings, but you have no clue what they showed/said!!! Only in poker... You must be totally stoked to see the episode. I know how excited I am about it, so I'll magnify that by about ten, and I think I'll be somewhere in the ballpark.

"Ramblin' Dave", eh? An appropriate nickname, especially if it's "ramble" like Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On", which implies that you seek (and find) adventure. If it's "ramble" like I'm doing right now, that's cool too... ;)

Hopefully somebody here will be able to tell you which hands they showed that you were involved in. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the episodes, especially that one!

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Looking forward to seeing them too. Gotta wait for TSN though, since I gave up the, uhh...umm... grey dish. lol

Next year maybe they'll show a bit more. Still cool to get a few hands in though. And that shirt is bitchin'. lol
  • I just watched it. The hand in discussion was 76h vs 55. The other guy was named Sam Zudo and they mentioned he was born in Iraq.. He flopped a set but Dave flopped the open-ended straight flush draw and then made the flush on the turn.

The other hand - Dave had 97 off, vs A7c and TT. Flop Q, K, K. The flop is checked around. Dave folds on the turn and the hand ends when Julian Gardner calls a big bluff on the river with his pocket 10s.

Hope this refreshes your memory.

hork.
  • I think they should've showed the 64s hand where Dave got his opponent to lay down AQ that made two pairs on the turn.
  • i'm going to try to chop dave's hands from the mpeg, and post them somewhere for people, hopefully some time today if i get time
  • Chugs wrote:
    i'm going to try to chop dave's hands from the mpeg, and post them somewhere for people, hopefully some time today if i get time

I don't get it. What's so special about Dave's hands? Does he moisturize?

ScottyZ
  • Dave is my HAND TWIN, that's what.
  • okay i've made the file. i actually decided to waste an extra 5 minutes and made two seperate files. i made one of dave and one of the episodes eye candy, erin ness.

no matter how much i tried i couldn't make dave's video loner than erin's. i think it had something to do with the shirt ... or maybe with her being a hot 20 something.

ftp://taj.dyndns.org (put that in your browser, or just the url in an ftp program)

CORRECTION: sorry seem to be having problems with anonymous login, for people using ftp: login/password: poker

i don't know how to make torrents, etc... so if someone wants to do that, please go wild.

i'll leave the files online for 3-4 days

chugs

ps. i put a high and low res. version just in case

IF it doesn't work just pm me
  • Cool. Thanks, Chugs.
  • Nice work Chugs.
  • That screen shot is awesome! I am so stoked to watch this action, let the bad beats begin!
  • Just check out the clips that Chugs linked to on the previous page of this thread for the time being...

Thanks very much, BTW, Chugs. Nice job.

Regards,
    all_aces
  • Well, I've seen the episode. A VERY quick hit of me talking smack to Gus. Cool. Nobody but me would know it though.

There is a chance I will catch the begining of the next episdoe. At the end of Tuesday's show I was still at the feature table. I was moved OFF the feature table at the supper break, which means that there was LOTS of poker left on day four the has all been cut. If it has, I'm gone. If it carries over to episode five, my 6-4s hand might still make it. Hope so.

After watching episodes #1-4 there are a variety of pros who will one day have to face the following question from me: "Were you born an obnoxious prick or are you just acting obnoxious to try and tilt me? Course, I guess it doesn't matter because either way, you're an obnoxious prick."
  • I KNEW you must be doing something to take the air out of Gus' sails, he just never seemed "on" in that last episode.

And on the subject of pricks ;) , you might remember that the late Andy Glazer wrote about Mattias Andersson's unsportsmanlike behavior at the table - only later to retract it when two of his facts were challenged. Granted we saw this table through ESPN's edited view, but I thought Mattias came off as young, nervous, excited - and yes, maybe playing it up a little for the cameras - but not what I'd classify as prick material.

Contrast that with the the high fiving, trash talking, arrogance of "the crew", partially embodied by Dutch Boyd and Scott Fischman - and I think we've got some real "below the waist" potential. Of course my real satisfaction was watching the old pro just totally lay waste to Fischman - Doyle just played him like a banjo.

I'm not sure what ESPN's fascination with these boys is. They are about as exciting as watching reruns of New Kids on the Block videos. And the fact that Dutch Boyd's company Pokerspot, one of the first online money poker sites, went bankrupt, taking the player accounts with it, doesn't make him much of a hero in the eyes of online community. Especially, as the claims go, that even when the site knew they were in trouble, continued to solicit player deposits, trying to float their expenses with players' money. What is the definition of Ponzi scheme afterall?

I realize that television is trying to aim for ratings, but I'm not sure what "mainstream" appeal ESPN is seeking with the seemingly endless portrayal of these boys as poker's heir apparents. Of course this is no less ridiculous as the WPT's fantasy "happy family" fluff pieces - three couples that they have featured were either on the rocks when the pieces were filmed or dashed soon after.

Why can't TV just be content with showing poker? I know I'd be content.

Amy
  • Amy C wrote:
    I thought Mattias came off as young, nervous, excited - and yes, maybe playing it up a little for the cameras - but not what I'd classify as prick material.
    You have described Matties perfectly. Real nice guy who was feeling the pressure of a like changing experience.
  • The crew don't bug me anywhere near as much as Mike Matusow, man would I have a hard time not reaching accross the table and slapping that guy...what was with that line of expletive he fired at Greg Raymer? Tell me that he got a penalty of some sort.
  • Tell me that he got a penalty of some sort.

Excellent point Big J. I have been tempted to email Matt Savage and ask that very question. Clearly one was warranted. If one was given, ESPN was remiss in not giving it coverage. If one was not, then I have to wonder if tournament officials are up to the challenge of enforcing the rules of play under the lights of the camera. Either case bodes ill for poker.

Amy
  • Amy C wrote:
    If one was not, then I have to wonder if tournament officials are up to the challenge of enforcing the rules of play under the lights of the camera.

You make a fantastic point here Amy.

This precisely the sort of situation that would give officials the rare opportunty to make a rule actually *mean* something. It's a shame if a rule actually was enforced and ESPN failed to metnion it, and doubly so if officials passed on enforcing a rule while on camera (for whatever reason).

ScottyZ
  • If you get an answer back on that Amy, I'd love to hear it.