How Party Poker Redefined the Bad Beat for Me

Okay, so I have been on the short end of a really cold deck for a couple of months now. And I mean a really cold deck, only being able to play about 11% of the hands and then getting destroyed by the board. It has been terrible, wha wha wha. I usually played 2/4 Limit but have been forced down to the .50/1 Limit tables and am just about to die completely now. So despite the higher rake I have decided to go to the Bad Beat tables since I have been having what I concider a bad beat far to ofter. Party Poker has there own definition which I will comment on that the end of this post. But as the following hand will show I can’t even get paid off there!

So just an FYI, I play this really bad because I am just to excited amount the $3100 Jackpot up for grabs that would have made me $1000. In other words I have no idea why I raised when I did and I do not usually play like that but like I said I got blind lokking at the Jackpot.

I am Systine, of course.

***** Hand History for Game 851350685 *****
0.50/1 TexasHTGameTable (Limit) - Mon Aug 16 20:07:40 EDT 2004
Table Bad Beat Jackpot 609229 (Real Money) -- Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Karlet24 ( $17.83)
Seat 2: Happy ( $33.50)
Seat 3: DKpker ( $10.75)
Seat 4: NeuralNet ( $55.12)
Seat 5: dalbeb ( $44.84)
Seat 6: DippyLoach ( $27)
Seat 7: drspectra ( $24.25)
Seat 8: Thordaddy13 ( $27.46)
Seat 9: shortstackmc ( $40.12)
Seat 10: Systine ( $12.75)
DKpker posts small blind (0.25)
NeuralNet posts big blind (0.50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Systine [ Kh, Kc ]
dalbeb calls (0.50)
DippyLoach calls (0.50)
drspectra did not respond in time.
drspectra folds.
Thordaddy13 calls (0.50)
shortstackmc folds.
Systine raises (1) to 1
Karlet24 calls (1)
Happy folds.
DKpker folds.
NeuralNet calls (0.50)
dalbeb calls (0.50)
DippyLoach calls (0.50)
Thordaddy13 calls (0.50)

So it starts out fairly routinely. Unfortunately only got one raise in preflop but a lot of callers so was confident that there was an Ace out there.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ac, As, Ah ]
NeuralNet checks.
drspectra: easy now
dalbeb checks.
DippyLoach checks.
Thordaddy13 checks.
shortstackmc: yea!!
Systine checks.
Karlet24 checks.

Okay, here is where the trouble starts. I make Aces full of Kings the minimum hand rank that must lose with to win the bad beat jackpot. So I am in this hand now to the end. Sure, normally this is a folding hand but with the jackpot available you have to go for it and hope to lose. So now I am praying for low cards on the turn and flop, Come on 2 or 3s. This forces the player with the Ace to use both thier hole cards to make that hand, which is required to win the jackpot.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ Td ]
NeuralNet checks.
dalbeb bets (1)
shortstackmc: lets go!!!
shortstackmc: cmon!!
DippyLoach calls (1)
Thordaddy13 calls (1)
Systine raises (2) to 2
Karlet24 raises (3) to 3
NeuralNet folds.
dalbeb raises (3) to 4
DippyLoach folds.
Thordaddy13 calls (3)
Systine calls (2)
Karlet24 calls (1)

Here is the stupid raise, rather embarrassing to post this hand with a play like that but I just have too. Unfortunately a ten felll so now I only 3 or 4 hands can give me the jackpot: AK, AQ, AJ and maybe AT, the rules don’t make that clear if a tied hole card with the board will pay out.

** Dealing River ** : [ 4c ]
dalbeb bets (1)
shortstackmc: damn
Thordaddy13 calls (1)
Systine raises (2) to 2
Karlet24 raises (3) to 3
dalbeb raises (3) to 4
Thordaddy13 folds.
Systine calls (2)
Karlet24 calls (1)

Again I raise, being the fool I am. But yes a 4 so I am still good so a long as it is Ace with paint.

** Summary **
Main Pot: $35 | Rake: $1 | Jackpot Contribution: $0.25
Board: [ Ac As Ah Td 4c ]
Karlet24 balance $8.83, lost $9 [ 7s Ts ] [ a full house, Aces full of tens -- Ac,As,Ah,Ts,Td ]
Happy balance $33.50, didn't bet (folded)
DKpker balance $10.50, lost $0.25 (folded)
NeuralNet balance $54.12, lost $1 (folded)
dalbeb balance $70.84, bet $9, collected $35, net +$26 [ 2c Ad ] [ four of a kind, aces -- Ad,Ac,As,Ah,Td ]
DippyLoach balance $25, lost $2 (folded)
drspectra balance $24.25, didn't bet (folded)
Thordaddy13 balance $21.46, lost $6 (folded)
shortstackmc balance $40.12, didn't bet (folded)
Systine balance $3.75, lost $9 [ Kh Kc ] [ a full house, Aces full of kings -- Ac,As,Ah,Kh,Kc ]

Ahhhhhhhhhh! 2c Ad! Only one hole card in play I lose the jackpot! The story of my life.

By the way I would just like to add that I don’t really think what Party Poker defines as a bad beat is really a bad beat.

Comments

• By the way I would just like to add that I don’t really think what Party Poker defines as a bad beat is really a bad beat.

It was funny when the lowered the jackpot requirement for Queens full of Tens getting beat.. The jackpot was paid out every 10 minutes or so.. They even had to shut down the tables because too many jackpots were paid off..
  • What I meant by that comment is I think a bad beat is when a weak hand pre flop pulls out miracle cards, not pocket pairs beating pocket pairs with both hitting 4 of a kind, that is just unfortunate. As for my hand, I don't think that is a bad beat because I would have folded the hand after the flop and there was a re-raise.
  • Systine wrote:
    What I meant by that comment is I think a bad beat is when a weak hand pre flop pulls out miracle cards, not pocket pairs beating pocket pairs with both hitting 4 of a kind, that is just unfortunate. As for my hand, I don't think that is a bad beat because I would have folded the hand after the flop and there was a re-raise.

Yeah, the bad beat in "Bad Beat Jackpot" does not carry the usual meaning of "bad beat" by itself.

But they decided it wasn't very fun to call it a "Extremely High-Ranking Poker Hand Losing Jackpot". ;)

ScottyZ
  • Systine wrote:
    What I meant by that comment is I think a bad beat is when a weak hand pre flop pulls out miracle cards, not pocket pairs beating pocket pairs with both hitting 4 of a kind, that is just unfortunate. As for my hand, I don't think that is a bad beat because I would have folded the hand after the flop and there was a re-raise.

Good lord, if party paid off someone everytime a 2 outer hit the river, the place would have to shut down :)
  • Well no ***t! I am no suggesting they do such a thing, but what they are paying out are hardly bad beats. ScottyZ's term is bang on for what it is.
  • The whole bad beat concept most sites offer sounded fishy to me from the start. I looked at those before and decided (right or wrong) it was more of ripoff trying for those specific hands. Almost like people are now betting to get certain hands. I myself will stick to regular sng's and mtt's. The odds seem better. I just have to win. lol Instead of win with a certain hand, or lose with a certain hand, to be part of the jackpot. Too many conditions to be met as far as I see it.

Some people might think it's a waste of time, but if I have a long losing streak, I switch back to freerolls until the random number generator is my friend again. lol
  • Well, the bad beat jackpot game itself is actually a -EV game, since PartyPoker does take an "administrative fee" out of the jackpot. You may or may not be compensated for this EV loss if your opponents decide to modify their play because they are at a jackpot table. For example, playing hands like 84s simply because making a straight flush using both hole cards is possible.

Some places do not take a cut of the jackpot, in which case, the players are simply playing a 0 EV (but huge variance) lottery each hand. For example, the bad beat jackpot at Akwesasne is a 0 EV game, since the house takes no cut of the bad beat jackpot (or, so they tell me at least).

ScottyZ
  • Having some good cards preflop and getting the beat in a multiway pot is no big deal. When you start getting multiple peopl in a hand the big pocket pairs will win less than 50% of the time in many cases, which is clearly not a bad beat. Having bad beats as losing with really good hands seems fair to me. It's hard to give up a made hand, especially a 4 of kind. I agree that the definition on party is not exactly a "bad beat" but their set up (except for the extra rake!) seems good to me.