New Favourite Game

OK... I decided to give Omaha hi/lo a try online... (ya know there's a important tourney coming up next month :D)... Empire Poker 5-10 6 handed. Now, I've played Omaha hi/lo before, but never online and not in quite a while (2-3 years). As the saying goes... "I've read Doyle's book".

Anyway... I sat down with $250 and 2 hours later left with $1045... no too bad... and better than any holdem session I've had lately (it's been a "dry" August so far)

I might have to give this Omaha thingy some more attention in the future.

What are some of your opinions of the Omaha games online.... tough? loose? best place to play? etc.

Comments

• As you may have noted from some of my threads in "online talk" I've been mostly playing Omaha hi only for the last several months on UltimateBet...my earnings with Omaha far exceed those of my best hold em sessions and I like the extra thought required in the game...but I am finding it hard to adapt in going back to hold em without keeping the "Omaha mentality" as I call it.

I've been playing so much Omaha that when I DO play hold em, I have this nagging thought in the back of my head that my oppenants have 4 cards...and that if the board pairs, it definately means SOMEONE has made a boat.

So yes, play tons of Omaha, but I'd suggest setting aside a few hours per week to keep your hold em skill polished.

I haven't played hi-lo online, but I think that will be my next venture.
  • I love omaha Hi/LO and I know what you mean about the money possiblity. I don't think that it is due to how the game plays, but rather the fact that there are a lot more fish these days at the omaha tables, than at the hold'em one.

Omaha is a game more about having the best draw over having the best hand, and a lot of hold'em turned omaha players don't get that. Thus they over evaluate their hand and forget how easy it is to counterfeit their nut hand at 3 cards into the worst hand by the river.

As well a lot of players don't understand how to bet the low vs the high. A Player will often push all in on a low that ends up being chopped 3 ways while the player playing the high hand takes 1/2 the pot, thus actually costing the lows money.
  • I've been getting into micro-limit (10c/20c) Omaha Hi a lot lately. Last time I played it, I turned $2 into $27. :D
  • My Bankroll is currently *nothing* so I can't comment on making money from it these days :-) I am playing this Sunday at PStars in their Omaha H/L weekly round 2 tournament. Seeing as Omaha H/L is my favorite game and the one I feel most confident with my abilities I hope to finish in the money. Holdem is definitely growing on me. I was hoping to make our game/tourney last night but work called. Now I don't think i'll be able to make it until Sept.

Feel free to stop by Sunday afternoon and wish me luck,
    Cheers,
    R3d.
  • i just discovered 7 card stud today. the players are so bad, they will follow you all the way down. the pots get so large. its just continuing the beautiful partypoker atmosphere.

after i read up on this game its going to be $$$ nonstop... hopefully ;) i'm gonna have to try some omaha too though, sounds good!
  • [random]always bet into a board pair when playing sloth[/thought] lol
  • DJP wrote:
    [random]always bet into a board pair when playing sloth[/thought] lol
    Be careful, I'm coming back to a "hold em frame of mind" fast :)