Long List of Hand Nicknames

I found this list of hole card nicknames in the rec.gambling.poker archives. :)

http://tinyurl.com/35t9e

Some of them are pretty rare

A couple of intersting ones I have never heard of before:

Q-Q - Canadian Rockets (I'm Canadian and I don't even know that one)

7-2 - Beer Hand (What an insult to beer!)

A-Q - Big Chick (Cute morphing of Big Slick. Yes, I know the other variation of Big Slick too)

ScottyZ

Comments

• Since we are talking about slang. I wonder how many other people out there grew up knowing a "full house" as a "tight"?

I know I did, and I still use the term almost exclusively. Is this a localized thing, or Canadian or what?
  • I heard someone refer to a hand (I think it was K 8 ) as being Iranian aces...anyone know the story behind that?
  • And I've heard that ...

QQ is "Pocket Mings"
    Q8 is "Favourites"
    52 is "Robbie's Hand"
    and
    72 is "The Wagner".

What's with that? :wink:

("Iranian Aces" is, I think, just because certain "types" of players are willing to put a lot of chips in fast with... shall we say... a relatively weak hand.)
  • "Iranian Aces" is, I think, just because certain "types" of players are willing to put a lot of chips in fast with... shall we say... a relatively weak hand.

Just to be clear, and AFAIK, I think this name came up simply because it got to be "favorties" for some specific local players who happened to be Iranian. I don't think this is a widespread hand nickname, and I don't think it was ever meant to be any kind of ethnic slur.

I'm sure this isn't what you meant in your comment-- I just want to (hopefully) clarify this to anyone who doesn't know the background here.

ScottyZ
  • If you're going to look for slurs then there are some much more specific ones in my post -- one aimed at myself, in fact.

I'm certainly not out to give offense and I hope none is taken.

There is no denying that some of the slang on the long list *is* derogatory, though. I have faith that people will see it for what it is, though.... just plain crap.
  • Yes, of course, none taken. :) I think I just wanted to emphasize to possible "non-locals" that some of these hand nicknames are simply about specific people that some of us know.

And don't be so hard on yourself... 72 r00lz!!!

ScottyZ
  • Q8- KUWAIT
    K8- KATE
    J5-THE JACKSON FIVE
  • Great find!!! My buddies and I use slang all the time, I'm going to bring a few more of these to the table!
  • Jeremy wrote:
    Since we are talking about slang. I wonder how many other people out there grew up knowing a "full house" as a "tight"?

I know I did, and I still use the term almost exclusively. Is this a localized thing, or Canadian or what?

I definately grew up with "tight" in my vernacular. I was playing at a table with an American once, and he expressed surprise at hearing the term "tight" applied to a full house.

That being said, he also thought "Aces Up" and "Aces Full" were interchangable. Oi. Americans.
  • Q-J - Pinochle (if QsJd)

Does anyone know the story behind that hand name? Is it some famous player?
  • The snowmen are my favorite. 88 :D .
  • that's an amazing list!
    covers more than any other list i've seen

thanks for that SZ