Someone give me a suggestion

I can do pretty well on a full table of players but when it gets to like 2-3 players left in the game ... i tend to start losing half of my chip count before i can really start winning any ....
anyone got an idea how i can improve on small games??

i usually have ring games at my place just for like 3-5 ppl
when the game its at the beginning of the game .. i usually get a really good stack against everyone
but when 2 ppl bust out i start losing
what do u guys do ??

and remind u these people i play wit are very loose players so i can't really try to steal the blinds without putting a whole lot in the middle but then if they do have a good hand that'll risk a lot of my chips

Comments

• Hard to comment on exactly what you are doing (or not doing) without seeing you play, but a couple of tips on shorthanded play:

Drawing hands lose value with less people.
    Big cards (even one of them) are worth more. An ace is precious, play it hard.
    Raise with big cards pre-flop, even if you don't buy the blinds, you are making them invest more money on hands that are most likely worse than yours.
  • so i can't really try to steal the blinds without putting a whole lot in the middle

Is this no-limit? Cash game or tournament?

Hork's comments seem to be directed at short-handed *limit* cash games, and are generally good concepts in these games as the number of players goes down from a full game to a short-handed game.

However, I'd be surprised if the general ideas of short-handed strategy change all that much when you have 3 players compared to 5 players. Hand values and frequency of playing the blinds will change slightly, but certainly not nearly as dramatically as the differences in these between 5 players (short-handed) or 10 players (full game).

ScottyZ
  • ScottyZ wrote:
    Is this no-limit? Cash game or tournament?

Hork's comments seem to be directed at short-handed *limit* cash games, and are generally good concepts in these games as the number of players goes down from a full game to a short-handed game.

However, I'd be surprised if the general ideas of short-handed strategy change all that much when you have 3 players compared to 5 players. Hand values and frequency of playing the blinds will change slightly, but certainly not nearly as dramatically as the differences in these between 5 players (short-handed) or 10 players (full game).

ScottyZ

Actually, I think the game changes a lot from 5 to 3. Two situations open up. The first is that you really get to know the players well. If you are up against Tighty mcTight, you steal off him for all yer worth and watch out when he takes initiative. You don't even need hands with those type of players. The second is that I'm far less scared of hand domination if I playing something like K3o or Q5o.

I think the best advice for 3 handed play is to make sure you understand your opponents. You've seen them play the entire Sit and Go, so you know what thier tendencies are. Figure out what they are doing wrong and exploit it. Will they fold to min raises? Do they always bet the flop? What do they do if you re-raise them? Are they all-in machines? Of course, you probably dont have the time to test out the waters late in a Sit and Go when the blinds have increased but just questions to think about..
  • Short handed against players that will not fold then the best approach is straightforward -- "Bet with the best, good call to invest, fold all the rest." The problem will be gaining enough experience and getting a good enough read on your opponents that you will know when you naked ace is the best hand.

Many other good things have already been said. Ignore suited cards. You are looking for BIG cards. Both 9+ Single aces are great, if played well post flop.
  • Facecard99 wrote:
    Someone give me a suggestion.

Send me all your money. lol j/k