making money

whats the best way to make money. tourneys, sit and gos or ring games. or doesit all depend on what kind of player u are. is one better then the other.

Comments

• I used to play cash games. They can be very profitable, but they are mentally exhausting/boring...

The biggest scores are obviously in mtt's. I find these huge tournaments to be very exciting to play in. A month ago I decided to stop grinding and focus on tournament play. When there aren't any NL tournaments running, I play NL sng's. These are great practise for mtt's and can also be very profitable.

I just started playing mtt's last week and I've had two great finishes. A 64th out of 1760 and a 7th out of 1020. Both of these with rebuys. The last cash basically doubled the roll I built griding away for months in cash games. I think that says enough.

I guess it all depends on personal preference, but for me, I want to enjoy myself as well as make money. There is no question mtt's are where my money will be going in the future.
  • Personally, I've made almost the exact same amount from tourneys and from ring games. The problem that many players encounter with tournaments (including me) is that you can go for a long period of time without any 'significant' cashes. If you're just barely making it into the money spots, or not making it into the money spots at all, for a long period of time, the entry fees will eat away at your bankroll and there are no guarantees of a big payday around the corner.

That being said, even one 'top three' finish in a relatively big tournament can pay for all of your previous entry fees, and then some.

There's no way to say which way is the best way to make money at poker, which I know is a bit of a disappointing answer. You're right, it does depend on what kind of player you are, but it also depends on what kind of a 'big picture' poker player you are. If you find yourself consistently making good poker decisions, you will win money. It's inevitable. You'll win NL tournaments, limit tournaments, SNG's, and all manner of cash games. The hard part is being objective enough to evaluate whether or not you are consistently making good poker decisions. Nobody can play perfect poker all the time, and as a matter of fact you have to mix up your game occasionally to avoid becoming too predictable. But the bottom line is, in the long run, the people who make the best decisions about what hands to play, and what hands to fold, and what type of opponents they're up against, and what kind of game they're in, etc... will make the most money.

Regards,
    all_aces

ps: Chris makes an excellent point about SNG's being good practice for multi-table tournaments. If you want a big 'top three' finish, you have to have some experience playing shorthanded poker. A lot of players have shorthanded limit experience, but not much shorthanded NL experience, so SNG's are perfect for this.
  • i like ring games more because u can leave the table whenever u want (leave when u have made a good profit) but less rewarding in cash ... unless u play at the higher limit tables ...
    mtt are time consuming and most of the time if it's a big tourny goes on a couple of days...
    SnG are in the middle i guess :)

if i pick...i would prefer ring games and then when i have the time an stuff i'll join a mtt and test myself ...
  • I use to play only Tourney and Sit and Go's, now I play a tourney at the same time I play a ring game.

Basically I work to win enough in the ring game to pay for all the tourneys I play in. That way when I cash in the Tourney, it is straight profit or if I don't cash it is not really a loss. Also if I am running card dead in the tourney I can shift focus to the ring, and when I am running hot in the tourney, I can sit out on the ring game.

I added $150 to my bank roll last night doing this. Not a lot for some, but a good night for me.
  • That would be a good night for me also. Did most of the $150 come from the Ring or did you cash in the tourney/s?? What blinds were u playing in the ring game - $1/$2?
  • I would say Im sort of a newb. Ive downl^H^H^H^H^H err, watched all the celebrity, wpt, espn, etc poker and I play only ring games and the freerolls MTT. Never played a sng yet. Im up $160 mostly playing .25/.50 NL and some .10/.20 Omaha Hi. (love the math in Omaha)

Maybe best bet is just to watch each type of game and see how it plays.

G.

My 2nd post.
  • Welcome Grazzt. It's always nice to see some more posters.

Staying on topic: MTT's forever!
  • About 50/50

Generally I sign in. See what tourneys are playing that night. If I have an hour or so to kill I sign up for a ring game usually Omaha8 .5/1-1/2 PL, .5/1 NL hold'em or 1/2-2/4 limit Hold'em.

Play for the cost of entry into the tournament(s) that I wish to enter. I try and play very tight/conservative in the ring, basically trying to win enough to cover my entry into the tournament. Folding draws and the like, very little semi-bluffing, unless I know the player (or have lots of notes on his play). Some times I win a lot quickly in omaha8 (depends on the players). I then sit-out and pay my entry into the tourney, and start playing it. Going back to the ring game when I am running card dry in the tourney. If I am running really hot early I give up my seat at the ring (out of courtesy). Otherwise I flip back and forth between the ring and the tourney. I usually try and not play the same game (If I am playing hold'em tourney I try and play omaha8 ring and vise-versa) that way I don't confuse the cards and the players.

So basically last night I was playing the 20+2 NL hold'em tourney. Won the entry cost playing 1/2 holdem 100->125. Starting playing omaha8 1/2PL, did well in the tourney $55 or so and won big in omaha8 on a good run of cards (back to back nut lows one of which scooped the pot) $80 and then came second on a $10 9 player sit and go $27. Thus my total $155 (25-22 (Tourney Fee) +55+80-11 (sit and go fee) +27=154).

Of course some nights this doesn't work but I set myself a limit to how much I allow myself to lose on a given night. Usually about 10%-15% of my current roll. On the nights it works I end up further ahead vs the loss on the nights it doesn't.
  • I have never placed in multitable tournaments..my patience seems to be nil and around the bubble i self destruct

i started out playing single table sit and gos and played well over 700 in a few months and placed more often than not...most of these were 5,10 buyins some 20, 30....

back then, i could hardly stomache limit ring games...

now i think my favourite is 2/4 shorthanded highspeed where i stay pretty engaged ...i quickly surpassed my poker wad from the tourney days...also i no longer feel satisfied with the entry fee vs payoff of single table sit and gos.....

maybe someday i will be patient enough for multitable...or perhaps i should read a book
  • I'm definitely strongest in SNG's, I play some ring games, but usually just break even or make a little. I like the MTT's but it's definitely longer between paydays. I usually play SNG's to bring my bankroll up, and then play some ring games and MTT's for a change of pace.
  • Paul3221 wrote:
    I'm definitely strongest in SNG's, I play some ring games, but usually just break even or make a little. I like the MTT's but it's definitely longer between paydays. I usually play SNG's to bring my bankroll up, and then play some ring games and MTT's for a change of pace.

I think I could post the exact same thing except switching "SNG's" and "ring games".

Maybe we should exchange notes. :cool:

ScottyZ
  • I'm all for that. I think my problem with ring games is lack of patience. I just get bored folding constantly when I'm not getting the cards (lack of discipline?). It's a little better playing NL, but then it's dangerous if you get bored. SNG's are boring for the first few minutes, but then start to get pretty exciting as people are eliminated and the blinds go up... ;-)