Today's Rogers outage.

Vendor: These security and reliability protocols are military grade, and cost $X.

Rogers: Too much. We have responsibilities to shareholders.

Vendor: We have a cheaper version, but it's not as good.

Rogers: Still too much.

Vendor: Our bare-bones version might work, mostly.

Rogers: Too much. It can't effect any C-Suite salaries or bonuses.

Vendor: Here's an empty box and a bible. Pray you don't get hacked. $20.

Rogers: SOLD!
trigsthisORthatToronto Pimp

Comments

• compueasecompuease Admin
    edited July 2022
    More than likely with it being so widespread that this is a software upgrade gone wrong, with no proper back out process.
    BlondeFish
  • .... Who are you talking to?

Lol

Mark
  • Not you.... :p
  • I'm among the many Canadians overcharged $100/month by Bell but at least I had no problems using it today or while in the US for the past month. My daughter was very cranky that she couldn't contact her boyfriend today who is on Rogers.
  • Believe me Bell has issues as well, until we find out what this issue was (I suspect an upgrade gone wrong). it is hard to place blame.

How are you being charged an extra $100. from Bell or are you comparing it to US an European rates? Think density of population as at least part of the problem. I pay $170 per month for 3 phones with Fido from Costco, don't find that too bad. However their $12. a day roaming charge while I was in the US is a little exorbitant...
  • MrCaspanMrCaspan Admin
    edited July 2022
    It was caused by all their BGP routes being removed/wiped for their core routers/switches bringing the entire network down. Still have not heard if it was an opps or malicious or on purpose (kill switch) to stop somthing worse like a major hack that was going on to a government or financial institution.

For all you geeks out there here is a time lapse of Rogers network trying to correct to other peer networks as it starred to fail and have no routes.

• Nice technocratic capitalistic spin on a Socrates dialogue.
    compuease
  • FYI, that's me in the centre trying to find new routing. o:)
  • compueasecompuease Admin
    edited July 2022
    Currently claimed to be maintenance upgrade gone wrong.. Hmmm... Maybe more to this story, no fallback plan????? Back in my mainframe days, I know dating myself seriously, we would always have a written detailed recovery plan...
    Of course we just had to make sure we had a new blank stone tablet..

https://globalnews.ca/news/8978590/rogers-communications-network-outage-explanation-ceo/
  • MrCaspanMrCaspan Admin
    edited July 2022
    Again im no conspiracy theorists but I feel like this yes can happen by accident but many many things have to go wrong and for it to be out for up to 24 hours means even more things had to go wrong. It just feels wrong is all..

So for other non geek people BGP stands for Border Gateway Protocol and it's like a lookup table that when you say go to pokerfoum.ca that site name is converted to an IP address and data is sent to that IP address out through your modem to Rogers network. It will reach a Rogers switch the and that switch will use BGP to decide what network it should go down to get the data to where it needs to go to efficiently. Rogers could have a Netflix caching server in one of its locations so all rogers switches would have a BGP route in their tables to route all Netflix traffic to their internal Netflix caching server so you dont have to send your data all the way to New York or California. This makes things like Netflix faster when using Rogers. There are also fallback lower priority routes incase say that caching server is down or that network segment is down. If there is any delay or reason a sending switch does not get an acknowledgement of a packet received from a route then that route gets pushed down in priority and another route is tried and eventually a route can be declared not useable or down etc.. I am very much simplifying it here but it is a simple protocol and its why its used and very powerful.

Here is a great article on it from cloud flare
    https://www.cloudflare.com/en-ca/learning/security/glossary/what-is-bgp/

Not sure why it takes 24 hours to put back simple records like these but i also dont do IT networking on a scale like this! no idea what it must be like to jump start a network like this from dead!
    compuease
  • BTW, I hate the news.. That video is useless and was one tech guys opinion on speculation. Just report the news FFS, we don't need speculation just to fill air time. I'm surprised it wasent a segment of 5 min of a reporter walking around to patios asking people what they did all day.
    compuease
  • I pay $100/month, which includes unlimited services in the US. Compared to the limited options in Canada, it's not too bad as I will keep driving to Pearl River Resort whenever they offer a free vacation, along with Las Vegas this summer & in December.
    compuease wrote: »
    How are you being charged an extra $100. from Bell or are you comparing it to US an European rates?

• BlondeFish wrote: »
    I pay $100/month,

$100. a month? wow, and here I thought my $45. was too much for 20GB. Was paying $40 for 6GB a month ago but got an offer $5 more to get 20GB. Amazing how just 3 years ago I was at 500MB and never though I would ever need more. Of course all I really used my phone for was calls/text and email at that point.

Ok I'm old...
  • MrCaspan wrote: »

Not sure why it takes 24 hours to put back simple records like these but i also dont do IT networking on a scale like this! no idea what it must be like to jump start a network like this from dead!

OK, insiders say this was a deliberate hack (not me ok), but I know people who are. Likely similar to the infrastructure hacks in the US. Not sure if ransomware or just retaliation for some perceived slight by Canada. Definitely malicious though and not kiddie script from someone's basement.

Whether or not this will come out officially is the question.