Windows 11

So...

I've recently gotten a notice of Win 11 being a free upgrade, so I thought a thread might be useful for all the problems that are sure to arise.

My first one is that it says my laptop can't download it because:

"The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11".
According to the website:

"Processors/CPUs (Central Processing Units): 1 Ghz or faster with 2 or more cores and appearing on our list of approved CPUs. The processor in your PC will be a main determining factor for running Windows 11. The clock speed (the 1 Ghz or faster requirement) and number of cores (2 or more) are inherent to the processor design as it was manufactured and are not considered upgradable components."

See the attached picture for what their tool detects mine as, which I believe meets all these requirements.

For the techies on here, I'm assuming this may just be a driver issue, where they haven't supported everything yet, but hopefully plan to?

It does reaassure me that Win10 will have support until 2025 though, lol.

Mark

Comments

• Had it for a couple months, my only complaint is that the time/date on the taskbar doesn't also show up on 2nd monitor's taskbar any more. Otherwise, haven't had an issue.

As for your problem - the list of supported i5 processors starts at i5-8200, so only 8th generation or higher processors are currently supported. Something to do with security, best I can tell.
  • Likely a security thing - I had same issue on an old i7-6700k box. CPU is plenty powerful enough to run Win11 but it doesn't have the updated "TPM 2.0" module that 11 wants to see.

Long story short - if that's the issue - there is an easy bypass if you do want to run 11.
    Came down to editing a couple of registry entries during the early part of the install.

I'm sure I still have the info somewhere if you want it.
  • Perhaps.. I'm not too worried about it myself, as I said, only saw the update notice today.

I was hoping they'd just suddenly support it or something, but I'll hit you up on that when / if I need it.

Mark
  • Yeah, I like 11 so far but certainly wouldnt consider it worth hassle and/or security holes in your case.
  • here you go, issue is the lack of a TPM security module on earlier processors. There is no performance issue going from 10 to 11. All you need is a 16GB stick and follow some simple instructions... Your welcome..

https://pureinfotech.com/install-windows-11-unsupported-pc/
    Hobbes
  • Neat.

Has anyone experienced issues with Win11 and various apps like P* and PT?

Mark
  • edited March 2022
    compuease wrote: »
    here you go, issue is the lack of a TPM security module on earlier processors. There is no performance issue going from 10 to 11. All you need is a 16GB stick and follow some simple instructions... Your welcome..

https://pureinfotech.com/install-windows-11-unsupported-pc/