Buy-ins at home games

Hey all!
Can you feel it? The impending return of home games? I can... I was speaking with the Russian earlier today about when we would be able to host - likely start with a quick little home game, 1 table kinda gig, but soon!
It did get me thinking though, about cash. Like, actual physical money. I haven't really used any of it in the last year or so, and it had me wondering about home games and etransfers / other services. With most banking sites allowing etransfers for free / nominal fee, I wonder what people generally feel about the idea of using this method to pay for games you attend. Does it make a difference between tourney / cash games? Is there a concerns from the hosts POV such as are you comfortable sending / receiving money this way? Are you ethically able to cut someone off if they're too drunk but want to buy in for more than they should be playing (easier access to more money can be a tricky issue)? If some do and some don't use etransfer, this still means payouts would have to be etransfered (e.g. 10 person SNG for 50 bucks, 5 use cash, 5 don't, and I pay 50/30/20, I have only 250 of the prize pool on hand as host).
I wanted to start a poll, but it's been so long, I don't remember how, or if it's even possible anymore... maybe an admin can help me out.
Thoughts?

Mark

Comments

• I am 100% okay with e-transfers and all I ever carry is plastic. everyone just e-transfers the host money then the host pays out at the end of the night if some bring cash that still works.
  • I'm fine with etransfers or cash. I will always try to have enough cash on hand to cover the whole table anyway just in case. I've taken etransfers for rebuys before with no problems. I'm not too worried about using cash though anyway - I mean, we are sharing chips and cards so not a big leap to sharing bills.
    Toronto PimpBfillmaff
  • I'm not necessarily anti-cash, just recognizing some people may. Just seems like the natural progression of funds management.

Mark
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    I'm not necessarily anti-cash, just recognizing some people may. Just seems like the natural progression of funds management.

Mark
    Since our cash is actually plastic, not paper, you can always set up a laundry tub or the like to launder any cash brought to a game. :P
    beach2002compuease
  • I'm also fine either way. E transfer or cash. I know I still have cash from the last time I played live poker that hasn't been touched since lol. However I agree we are touching the same chips and cards but I also hope people will be sanitizing their hands when they leave the table and when they return to the table.

Sanitizer as the button is also a good idea.
  • Sanitizer as the button is also a good idea.
    I'm thinking this would have been a good idea precovid as well...

• And Brian, can you launder a Mill a day for me? wink, wink...
    Gogie
  • DrTyore wrote: »
    ... Are you ethically able to cut someone off if they're too drunk but want to buy in for more than they should be playing?

Players seem comfortable continuing to play you when you're a fifth of rum deep... lmfao

From a criminality perspective at what point would a "friendly" 'home game' be considered a _bawdy house_ ?

• thisORthat wrote: »
    DrTyore wrote: »
    ... Are you ethically able to cut someone off if they're too drunk but want to buy in for more than they should be playing?

Players seem comfortable continuing to play you when you're a fifth of rum deep... lmfao

From a criminality perspective at what point would a "friendly" 'home game' be considered a _bawdy house_ ?
    Legality is all about rake and or sales of other things, particularly booze...

Mark
    thisORthat
  • edited August 2021
    I fully agree that electronic transfers are quite convenient and make life easier. In addition to playing poker, also use the **Removed URL per Forum Policy "No advertising"** to make money online. Recently started studying the cryptocurrency market, which consider to be an excellent investment.
    Gogietorontotablecpt
  • edited September 2021
    thisORthat wrote: »

At no point would it be considered a bawdy house, since keeping a bawdy house deals with prostitution. Also this section of the criminal code in Canada was repealed in 2019, after a 2013 Supreme Court ruling that found that section of the code unconstitutional.

The phrase you meant is... a common gaming house... And the legalities are usually summed up as Mark stated... Don't rake and don't sell stuff. Even selling soft drinks can make the running the game illegal.