Official Blue Jays Discussion thread

Ok we need one place to discuss all things Jays.

Just saw Bombtista crank his 19th homer. Sick. He IS the Rapture.

Who'da thunk?

White or Whyte, he's still Devo | Baseball | Sports | Toronto Sun

Where are they now category:

http://mopupduty.com/index.php/former-blue-jays-update-1/

Comments

• Would rather have a where are they now of Junior Felix, Pat Borders, Manny Lee, or Candy Maldonado.

(Or Mookie Wilson, FTW)
  • On a serious note, Nostradamus in me says that the Wallace for Gose trade goes down as one of the worst in Jays history.

Lets revisit 5 years from now.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    On a serious note, Nostradamus in me says that the Wallace for Gose trade goes down as one of the worst in Jays history.

Lets revisit 5 years from now.

You're too young to remember tradings Collins and Griffin for Bill Caudill and the biggest contract the Jays had at that point.

Trading Olerud for Robert Person was horrible.

The worst though has to be trading Boomer Wells for an injured Mike Sirotka who I'm not even sure ever pitched an inning for the Jays. And the rumour at the time was that they had their choice of Sirotka or Mark Buerhle. :o

Good job Gord Ash.
  • Or Michael Young to Texas for some pitcher I dont even remember.
  • Ah yes, Esteban Loaiza. Although at the time Young was a prospect behind a bunch of proven players and Loaiza put up some big numbers after his stint in Toronto.
  • Arencibia is on a pace to hit 30 give or take. Thoughts on ROY possibilities?
  • Used to play Earl Weavers Baseball in a league with friends. Long story short, I had Maldonado and used him as a pinch hitter. He was AWESOME, once I figure out the formula.
    I used him exclusively in the 5th or later, and only when behind. In those circumstances, Candy was dandy, hitting 14 homers IN A ROW. And on no more than 2 pitches per at bat. I love Candy Maldonado.
  • Let's go Candido! One of my favourite players.
  • We played a 32 game season. Candy hit 24 round trippers . . .
  • Current Players that I can't stand watching

EE
    Riveira
    Francisco

JP looking good for ROY. Funny stat the other day, he's almost on top of the Jay's rookie catcher HR record currently held by Angel!

Gripe about Farrell so far, madly in love with his bullpen.
  • actyper wrote: »
    Current Players that I can't stand watching

E5

fyp.
  • I think I read he has a 75% fielding % this year including his play at 1st
  • Bautista is no great hell in the OF. His jumps and reads are terrible and many balls go over his head or fall in front of him. He isn't throwing anyone out at the plate either so his arm has been basically useless. He is also awful at backing up the center fielder so when they miss a ball it bounces around and is left to the center fielder to go chasing after it. Case in point: Gave up inside the park homer today. Brutal.

Discuss.
  • Jays OF defence has been pretty spotty. Davis has such a bad arm its unbelievable. Patterson misjudges a lot of balls. JB like you mentioned misplays a lot too. But with JB baserunners don't go for 2 bases when hit to RF. Last night insider was pretty bad, I still hate the fact that nobody gets penalized except the pitcher when it goes untouched.
  • Wetts1012 wrote: »
    Would rather have a where are they now of Junior Felix, Pat Borders, Manny Lee, or Candy Maldonado.

(Or Mookie Wilson, FTW)

Mookie Wilson is first base coach for the NY Mets.
  • Anthopolos must be reading this thread. Thames is up and Bautista moves to 3B. I guess he had enough after watching Bautista miss a catchable HR ball.
  • moose wrote: »
    Anthopolos must be reading this thread. Thames is up and Bautista moves to 3B. I guess he had enough after watching Bautista miss a catchable HR ball.

Methinks a bigger reason is to get more power production from 3B. It has been a disaster this year.
  • Goodbye Nix. Goodbye Rivera. Hello Snider. Hello again to Yo-Yo Man - Mike McCoy.

If Snider can hit and Arencibia, who must still be hurting, gets better - look out - tough lineup now top to bottom.

Thames is beating the crap out of the ball. Talk about making the most of your opportunities.

Bautista voted into All Star game with the most votes all-time, beating Griffey's record from 1994. Ho-lee crap! First Jay voted in since Delgado in 2003. I wonder if they will let him hit in the Home Run derby this year. Huh.
  • LOL. Jays smash the Yankees 2 days in a row and all of a sudden we're stealing signs.

Stay classy Girardi
  • Wonder if Girardi is related to anyrag_dipscat? :D
  • The Jays are retiring Robby Alomars' #12.

I thought it was BJs policy to NOT retire numbers, but I guess they will if someone is inducted into the HoF as a Blue Jay.
  • JohnnieH wrote: »
    The Jays are retiring Robby Alomars' #12.

I thought it was BJs policy to NOT retire numbers, but I guess they will if someone is inducted into the HoF as a Blue Jay.

Was just going to post a thread. Congrats to Alomar....well deserved. Let's hope for many more deserving Jays in the future.

Oh, and BRING UP LAWRIE NOW!!!
  • oh, and bring up lawrie now!!!

omg +1
  • He played for the Jays for 5 years. No way.

Carter played 7. Nobody wants to retire his number.

Total joke. HOF'er yes. Greatest Blue Jay ever - not even close.
    He played for the Jays for 5 years. No way.

Carter played 7. Nobody wants to retire his number.

Total joke. HOF'er yes. Greatest Blue Jay ever - not even close.

Funny you say that. When I think of the Jays and #12, I think of Ernie Witt.

Greatest Jay? Dave Stieb? Roy Halladay? Manny Lee?
  • Halladay played 12. Stieb 15. Hentgen 10 and he is a real coach for the Jays. Whitt 12. Borders 8. Fernandez 12 - he got traded away and came back to the Jays 3 SEPARATE TIMES. Wells 12. Delgado 12. Alomar 5, ridiculous.

You can't unretire a number. It shames the franchise if we ever find a real deserving player to retire. They waited so long and this sets the bar so low we might as well retire about 20 more numbers so it doesn't look so pathetic.
    Halladay played 12. Stieb 15. Hentgen 10 and he is a real coach for the Jays. Whitt 12. Borders 8. Fernandez 12 - he got traded away and came back to the Jays 3 SEPARATE TIMES. Wells 12. Delgado 12. Alomar 5, ridiculous.

You can't unretire a number. It shames the franchise if we ever find a real deserving player to retire. They waited so long and this sets the bar so low we might as well retire about 20 more numbers so it doesn't look so pathetic.

Gotta disagree. Halladay will have his number retired right beside Alomar's as soon as he hangs them up. All the others mentioned give Jays fans a nice fuzzy feeling but in terms of complete talent couldn't hold Alomar's jock. 5 years isn't a long time but the impact he had here was a career's worth.....without him the Jays would still be looking for World Series #1.
  • Not denying him HOF statistics. Not deserving of retired number unless you had long time service. No player should ever be considered with less than 10 years service unless extenuating circumstances like illness or death. 5 years is a total joke. 5 years is a sneeze, a coffee cup, a thanks for coming out. Less than 1/3 of his career was spent with the Jays. Hey let's consider Molitor. He was awesome. WS MVP. HOF'er. 3000+ hits. Wait, no Clemens - 2 Cy Youngs in two seasons. Amazing. Let's do it.
  • 5 years with the Jays were 2 more than he had anywhere else. What does it matter? What sense does putting an arbitrary number like 10 years on it make? Then it would only be the guys who weren't good enough to jump to the Yanks or Red Sox (or Phillies) when they became free agents that would ever be considered.

I would argue (and it has been by others more knowledgeable than even me) that he was at worst one of the top 3 all time 2Bmen. The fact that he was only a Blue Jay for 5 years (because when he reached free agency the Jays were getting ready to stink it up for a while or "rebuild"......see "be cheap") is no reason to hold his immense talent hostage to being honoured that way. Other than Halladay I don't see anyone in the history of the organization worthy of the honour.....no matter how many years they played.

Comparing the Molitor and Clemens situations to Alomar is just stupid.
  • Why? It's your argument. Great players, great stats with the Jays. Were here a short period of time. Must qualify by your standards.

Big difference between being a HOF'er and deserving of having your number retired. You don't seem to be able to qualify the difference.

You can't agree that it should be harder to get your number retired than making the HOF? He was here when the team was good. 3 playoff years and less than 5 full seasons. Big deal.