All-in question

If player (a) goes all-in pre-flop, both player (b) & (c) call his all-in, both (b) & (c) still have plenty of chips, then flop comes and player (b) goes all-in and player (c) folds, is player (c) hand dead to all pots including the all-in bet from player (a)

Reason i ask is because this happened last night and a guy not playing pot argued that player (c) was intitled to the all-in bet from player (a). I told him at player (c) folded his hand therefore his hand is dead to all pots. But he argued more, (this is same guy that argued about flush call i posted earlier.) Please advised if I made correct call. So i can shove it in his face again. Thanx....

Comments

• You are right -- a folded hand is dead to all pots.
  • Yes, a folded hand has no right to win any pot.

Since it seems like you are often getting arguments in your games, I'd suggest you set up some sort of method ahead of time for resolving disputes.

I wouldn't recommend any form of "shoving it in the player's face". In fact, if there is no clear statement of either the rules, or who is in charge of making rulings, you are in fact giving players like this a sort of carte blanche to argue whenever any fuzzy rules decision comes up, no matter how slight. If he doesn't know what the rules are, or where to find them, why would he not argue?

Also, I would suggest that you provide the players with some reference where they can look up the rules of poker. That is, unless you want to provide them with the rules yourself (a better idea), or more simply, have it stated clearly somehow where your own house rules differ from "standard" poker rules.

Try to establish rules

(a) politely

and

(b) at a time when you are not playing, and *especially* at a time when you are not arguing about a rule.

How you deal this will ultimately determine whether you are running a poker game or a debating club. :)

ScottyZ
  • Yes, you are correct. and I echo Scotty's thoughts. Have a copy of standard poker rules handy in case arguments come up and post or state all "house rules" or unclear rules up front before the game.
  • All good suggestions