A Few Questions for

Hi All..
Im a new member & new to H E Poker (apx 2 months playing).
I must say that Dave's book really helped me get the ol' learning curve under control. ((and NO he did not pay me to say that!!))
Here are my questions Dave :
--How do you adjust your play when the table is smaller & also how important is position with fewer players at the table ?

-- I will be in Vegas soon & don't want to be a total fish ,Help! , what should I play ? Tourn. or reg games , ? Any tips?

Thanks & will start posting on the fourm
Mark

Comments

• I must say that Dave's book really helped me get the ol' learning curve under control. ((and NO he did not pay me to say that!!))

Thank you Mark. The book has been printed a second time (correcting all the typos this time). I am hoping that it will be available at pokersupplies.com -- Neil is working on it.
    --How do you adjust your play when the table is smaller & also how important is position with fewer players at the table ?

The simple method is to simply adjust your position accordingly. So, in my book I list late position as the button and one hand before.

In a five handed game then the under the gun player is not early position, but middle position. Play the middle position hand equivalents.

That will start you off on the right foot. Truthfully, if you are new to the game then I really suggest you play full ring poker until you are really comfortable and sure that you are a winning player.

I have made my entire $10K WSOP from shorthanded $3-6 and $5-10 online games. Here is my basic method -- you can only get away with this if you are willing to make some testy folds I think:

(1) If it has not been raised then I raise with ANY ace, ANY pair, and K-Q
    (2) I will limp any suited cards both seven or above and any offsuit cards both nine or bigger.
    (3) On the button I will raise with ALL of these hands.
    (4) I will bet the flop EVERYTIME against one or two opponents
    (5) I will bet the turn if I think there is any chance that I have the best hand (naked aces and bottom pair included).
    (6) I rarely slowplay anything since I want to instill my opponents with the sense that my bets could be a pure bluff or a BIG hand.
    (7) I liberally defend my blind and generally go for a check-raise from the big blind if I hit ANY piece of the flop or any straight or flush draw.

A person could write a whole book about shorthanded play. Sklansky's new Hold'em for Advanced Players has an excellent shorthanded section.
    -- I will be in Vegas soon & don't want to be a total fish ,Help! , what should I play ? Tourn. or reg games , ? Any tips?

Play what you want to play. Play what will give you the most fun! There are LOTS of small buy-in tournaments available (Orleans has a couple a day). Make sure you at least visit Bellagio so that you see what the biggest room in town looks like.
  • Thanks Dave

When you say shorthanded are you talking 6 or less ?

Yes I plan to just stay relaxed & play to have fun , any money I play down there I consider from my " poker education fund " hehe.

Will report when I get back.
    Best
    Mark
  • Shorthanded tables online are normally 6 handed.

As for Vegas, you probably won't find any shorthanded games (or at least, games which are designed to be shorthanded...) so don't play anything like Dave's shorthanded strategy. (which, don't get me wrong, sounds like a good shorthanded strategy, but you'll get killed playing that style at a 10 player low limit game) :)

I think good places for beginners to play are the Mirage 3-6, Bellagio 4-8, and the Orleans has both low buy-in tournaments and 4-8-8 (4-8 with 1-2 blinds) cash game.

Similar to online, I'd suggest avoiding "underpopulated" rooms; i.e. rooms that have maybe only one or two tables of poker going.

If you're interested in non-holdem, generally the Mirage has a bit of low limit stud going, and the Orleans has low limit Omaha.

As for being new, let the dealer know that this is your first time playing, and they will normally be glad to help you. Ask the dealer at any time you are confused about what's going on (like whose turn is it to bet, how much is it if you want to raise, etc).

And as for not being a fish, this is simple. READ. Read about poker. I'd strongly suggest Winning Low Limit Holdem by Lee Jones and Winning at Poker by Dave Scharf (yes, this book is already on my "recommended list" for low limit... great book Dave!) as excellent books to start with. Sounds like you've already got a good start having read Dave's book.

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip! 8)

ScottyZ
  • (4) I will bet the flop EVERYTIME against one or two opponents

I assume you mean if it's checked to you, or you're first to act.

How do you play the flop otherwise? That is, what if your opponent bets into you? What if he check-raises you? I realize that there is probably a lot of player reading in this situation.

It sounds like you love to be the aggressor, but how often, and how quickly, do you back off if someone fires back?
    A person could write a whole book about shorthanded play.

Hmmm... "Winning at Poker Part 2"? 8)

ScottyZ
  • Shorthanded tables online are normally 6 handed.

Yes, I mean six or less. Not all online sites are 6 handed. Paradisepoker.com runs their shorthanded games at 5 players.
    I assume you mean if it's checked to you, or you're first to act.

How do you play the flop otherwise? That is, what if your opponent bets into you? What if he check-raises you? I realize that there is probably a lot of player reading in this situation.

It sounds like you love to be the aggressor, but how often, and how quickly, do you back off if someone fires back?

Yes. Bet if I am first or it is checked to me.

In these low-limit games I generally give my opponents credit for what they are representing. I take an almost strict raise of fold approach. If I am bet into I fold or raise (frequently I will raise with second pair and good kicker and I will ALWAYS raise with top pair). If he three bets me I might fold right there or take one more card of depending on the size of the pot etc.

If I am check-raised I do the same... fold or raise. If I have nothing I fold Pure and simple.

My experience is that most players will call WAY too much. If you think you might have the best hand... keep firing. If you think you are beat BACK off. If I get to the turn and do not have at least an acein my hand or a pair then I probably go into check and fold mode.

In other words, I back off AS SOON AS I ENCOUNTER resistance unless unless I think I still have the best hand.

YOu do have to be able to categorize oppononets. Although a failry rote strategy still words (I sometimes play three short handed games at once). I watch for player that break the basic mold and ask myself: "What is he up to." That may force me to call that player more... or not, depending.
  • Great reply's .. thanks so much.
    Scotty.. Im staying at Mirage & will play at all 3 spots. I have both books you mention & looking frward to loading up on books at the gamblers book store when down there.
    Mark