Tourny Monday July 25th at the Pit

$120 tourny at the Pit tonight, email me for specific details. Starts at 6pm. Email parkstpokerpit@hotmail.com. Located in Kitchener, Ontario.

stp

Comments

• Does this mean the sabbatical is over? :D
  • I was in PEI this weekend and played 4 consecutive, rather small tournaments. I chopped in everyone. Eliminated Donovan Bailey in the one tournament and sent him home a crying. I am back.

stp
  • Is this open to anyone? How many players signed up so far?
  • iam on my way see ya guys there get tyhe keys ready shannon
  • I have not heard back from the "STPbOY" - am I outta luck?
  • Email sent
  • I have to thank you Shannon for allowing me to be at your place for my worst beat in my life.

*sigh*

I'm still upset over it.

For those that care (noone ... but I wanna vent anyway).

I got A :d: 5 :d: UTG +1

Limped around to Shannon on the button who pops it up to 240.
    SB (wasn't around)
    BB calls
    UTG Calls
    I call
    next calls
    Tyson folds
    Called back to Shannon.

1740 in the pot pre-flop (Blinds at 10-20 still).

Flop A :c: 5 :c: 2 :c:

BB bets out 500.
    UTG Folds (KK no club).
    I move in over the top for 1700 or so (Possibly a bad move, but I knew he had an A with not much else).
    Folded back to BB.

After about a minute he decides his hand is good enough and calls.

Turns over A :h: 7 :s:

So no re-draw on the clubs ... only top pair ... I was exstatic.

Turn 2 :s:

River 7 :d:

I shake my head and leave as he has me covered ...

Never have I seen a bigger idiot try to feed me chips and watch them pull a 3 outer out of their @$$.

But hey, it's good to be a complete and total idiot ... oh sorry ... I mean lucky :'(

The other hands in play were
    UTG KK
    Shannon QQ
    LP 1010
    Tyson had 3 :h: 4 :h:
    Dead SB had 9 :c: 6 :c:

Rest unknown.
  • And I thought only on line poker was rigged.

:D
  • So Tyson folded a winner? What are the odds of that happening? :D
  • And for those who care, Lee went on to win the tournament...

He is amazing.... at catching cards.

I truly think that Park St Poker Pit should be renamed...suck out poker pit;

Notable Knockouts...

Stp Boy on button
    Redington mid... 6 players left
    Blinds 40-80

Limp, fold
    Red: A :d: k :d: raise to 240
    fold fold
    STP: 6 :c: 6 :s: calls
    SB, BB and limper fold

Flop 6 :d: K :h: 5 :c:

Red checks
    stp boy bets 160
    red raises to 320, stp smooth calls

Turn K :c:

Red checks Stp bets 300, Red puts him all in.....
    Turn over the cards and Im a HUGE dog....... but a 5 on the river gives me the bigger boat...

Other Big Suckouts -

Lee vs. Jeff C

30-60 blind level, just those to left, min raise preflop.
    Flop comes 589, Jeff goes all in with A9, gets called with K9. River brings a King.

Lee is big stack, knocks out Josh? when Josh's top pair top kicker with all his money in on the flop, gets called by mid pair which turns into two pair on the turn

How I got knocked out;

3 players left, Im button, Kev in SB Lee in BB. Blinds 100-200 and Lee has 7000, Kev 2400, Red with 4500

Red has A :c: 7 :s:, first to act on button raises to 600

Kev Folds, Lee, seemingly relcutantly calls.

Flop A :s: Q :d: 8 :s:

I go all in with top pair for just over half of Lee's stack. Lee think, and thinks.... then calls with J :h: T :h:

Turn is a 9 :s: and I am out.....

Kevs Final hand,

SB he has 2400 in chips vs Lee's 10000 Blinds 100-200

Kev raises preflop to 600, Lee completes for 400 more.

Flop comes   5 6 7 , Kev pushes all in for 1800 more. with  8 6 for open ended but first to act. Lee calls with  9 T for the gutshot...  8 comes on the turn.

I was really happy at my ability to remain competitive in this field with VERY good players, but dissapointed in the result.

As one player commented," we were all soooo easy to read," which we all thought was funny because that player kept getting in his money as a HUGE dog. I guess we were all projecting we were ready to be sucked out on.

--- I did hand out one very bad beat Im proud of; I post this in Ode to Jamb of John

Limped in Preflop, 4 players. Flop comes A :h: 9 :h: 3 :h: . Checked to STPboy, who bets pot of 225, I reriase all in for 2300. He thinks and thinks then thinks some more calls me and we flip
    A :s: 9 :c: for STP top two pair
    K :h: 5 :c: for Redington nut flush draw
    Turn brick....
    River is a heart and the anal tearing begins.

Ode to John A, Ode to John A.....
  • Redington wrote:
    And for those who care, Lee went on to win the tournament...
    You HAVE to be kidding me.
    I guess if you can win 80% of the time when you're a 10% favorite you're going to win.
    He WAS the worst player at the table by FAR.

What a joke.

Ah well ... that's poker ... wait ... no ... it really wasn't.
  • Psi wrote:

SB (wasn't around)
    BB calls
    UTG Calls
    I call
    next calls
    Tyson folds
    Called back to Shannon.

Other then the bad beat that was layed on you here was the preflop action that was completely crazy.  Jeff Campbell limped UTG with QQ clearly trying to set a trap for the re-raiser.  PSI was next to act with A5 suited in diamonds, limp.  Josh folded I believe and Tyson limped in with 34 hearts.  CanadaKev limped with pocket tens.  It comes around to me in the small and I announce "has everyone limped?  Ok, I'll raise it up then.  Make it 240 to go".  I had just won the previous pot when Jeff came in for a raise and I re-raised him getting him off his 88, I had AQ.  I won the pot on the flop with 3 spades showing, I had the nut ace.  Anyway, my raise here doesn't get any respect.  Or does it get to much respect?!?!  Jeff just calls with his Queens, knowing that I've either got AK, AA or KK and thinking to himself that he needs to hit a Q to beat me.  Jeff just calling here opens the flood gates for every other player in to just call.  Kevin simply calls with his tens too.  How many other players go bust here with their Queens?  Several I'm sure.  The way the hand should have went was, I raise, Jeff re-raises getting rid of the A5, 34, A7 and tens possibly.  Jeff and I get heads up and we go from there.  This hand really showed me the ability of Kevin And Jeff for sure.  For them to put me in a box that small, pretty amazing. 
    stp Boy on button
    Redington mid... 6 players left
    Blinds 40-80

Limp, fold
    Red: A  k  raise to 240
    fold fold
    STP: 6  6  calls
    SB, BB and limper fold

Flop 6  K  5

Red checks
    stp boy bets 160
    red raises to 320, stp smooth calls

Turn K

Red checks Stp bets 300, Red puts him all in.....
    Turn over the cards and Im a HUGE dog....... but a 5 on the river gives me the bigger boat...

I thought I had played this hand perfectly, I was actually extremely happy with it...other then the result of course.  I had you on either AK or KQ and was really trying to make it seem as though I had a weaker K.  No fault of yours of course, I would have likely got all of my chips in to.
    Limped in Preflop, 4 players. Flop comes A  9  3  . Checked to STPboy, who bets pot of 225, I reriase all in for 2300. He thinks and thinks then thinks some more calls me and we flip
    A  9  for STP top two pair
    K  5  for Redington nut flush draw
    Turn brick....
    River is a heart and the anal tearing begins.

Ode to John A, Ode to John A.....

This hand actually went a little differently then that, I'll give my analysis.  Flop came as above A 9 3 hearts.  Red bet out 60, which to me looked like a "give me a free card bet or a I hit the flush and want to build the pot bet".  I was leaning towards the "give me a free card" but I needed to find out.  I re-raised red to 225 or so.  Red immediately went all in and I went into the tank.  I'm thinking out loud about his possiblitities and why he would play certain hands like this.  Small flush and trying to protect it?   Two pair?  A pair with a nice flush draw?  If I trusted the fact that the 60 bet was a "give me a free card bet" then I had to call.  I thought that even with a small fush that Red would have tryed to get more chips in the pot from me then just 225.  I said aloud that I had top two pair while heads up with Red, in all honesty he didnt look very comfortable with it.  I know one of my tells is to start getting myself busy when I'm feeling uncomfortable, drink a beer, start chatting it up with someone, start looking around the room.  Anyway, Red's body launguage started to get a bit busier when I said that I had top two.  Perhaps this was the extra 1% that I needed to call.  I called and was very pleased, nice read and a bad result.  My first tournament back was awesome, I couldn't have played it any better although I did find that I do not have the nerves of steal that I may have once had.  I think everyone may have known when I was holding a monster, lol.

Thanks all for coming it was a blast to play with some excellent players and some VERY lucky players last night.

stp
  • i was also in that hand i had pocket 3s and gut sot starught draw of the flop
  • Hey Shannon thanks for the details. I had bet that out representing a small flush, but when you rasised I knew you didnt have a flush and wanted me off the hand. Figured you for an ace, good kicker but not paired or a small pair & high heart.

So I have 1200 left if I fold and the big stack has close to 5k, so....

I pushed in with the nut flush draw, using fold equity as a gainer for you. I need to gamble a bit, and figured you couldn't call as the risk was too great, you would be crippled if I won. In a cash game there would be no doubt as to a call.

Thanks for the input on the body language.
  • stpboy wrote:
    Psi wrote:

SB (wasn't around)
    BB calls
    UTG Calls
    I call
    next calls
    Tyson folds
    Called back to Shannon.

Other then the bad beat that was layed on you here was the preflop action that was completely crazy.  Jeff Campbell limped UTG with QQ clearly trying to set a trap for the re-raiser.  PSI was next to act with A5 suited in diamonds, limp.  Josh folded I believe and Tyson limped in with 34 hearts.  CanadaKev limped with pocket tens.  It comes around to me in the small and I announce "has everyone limped?  Ok, I'll raise it up then.  Make it 240 to go".  I had just won the previous pot when Jeff came in for a raise and I re-raised him getting him off his 88, I had AQ.  I won the pot on the flop with 3 spades showing, I had the nut ace.  Anyway, my raise here doesn't get any respect.  Or does it get to much respect?!?!  Jeff just calls with his Queens, knowing that I've either got AK, AA or KK and thinking to himself that he needs to hit a Q to beat me.  Jeff just calling here opens the flood gates for every other player in to just call.  Kevin simply calls with his tens too.  How many other players go bust here with their Queens?  Several I'm sure.  The way the hand should have went was, I raise, Jeff re-raises getting rid of the A5, 34, A7 and tens possibly.  Jeff and I get heads up and we go from there.  This hand really showed me the ability of Kevin And Jeff for sure.  For them to put me in a box that small, pretty amazing. 
    Yes, the pre-flop action was off the charts.
    There was plenty of reasoning behind my call of the 240.
    The pot when getting to me was 800 before I even called WITH another 4-5 people behind me to act.
    The best hand I put you on in this spot was JJ (I was wrong, but not that far off).
    I figured Lee for a Weak A, ding.
    No idea what Kevin was doing with KK here, he should have pushed then and there.

By the end up pre-flop action, I got exactly what I thought I would, EVERYONE calling and I'm assuming even if I hit nothing, I can get alot of people out on certain flops.
    The flop was awesome (and lucky) for me as the only player with real clubs was the dead SB.
    The 500 bet from Lee was saying "I HAVE AN A and I want to take this down now"
    so once Kevin with KK(I Swear he had KK, and you had QQ shannon) got out of my way, I was saying "Look at me, your Ax poop is no good"
    everything else gets out of the way with that A on the board.

I was willing to gamble it up pre-flop a bit with no one going all in over the top against my hand.
    It worked, I got what I wanted.
    Turned what I wanted.
    And got heart broken on the river to a 3 outer :'(
  • No kidding about off the charts, I loved what you said about you pushing cause I had folded preflop. As that flop would have been all over me :()

The reason I folded is that this was the perfect hand forr Kevin to take down with his TT... I saw and Shannon did have KK and Jeff with QQ.
    Looking behind me I didnt think my 34s would make it through another two players and if I hit I would be against a set on the flop not allowing me to draw anoither hand.

Looking back on this, I still think I made a HUGE mistake as
    1) I had live cards (when I put everyone on pair or AK) and they were suited.
    2) the Pot Odds were HUGE... I would have been getting almost 10-1 on my $
    3) Having folded that AND showing it, it meant I was going to be betting/raising with premium hands and folding non premium hands.
    4) This was a small investment, with a huge reward if I won, both in pot and in image for later betting.

Any thoughts on this>?
  • Wow I must have a million horse shoes up my ass, I mean winning 7 of the last 8 tourneys I've played in.. what a RUSH!! The pocket cards you hold is only about 20% of the 100 it takes to win a hand in poker. If you sit there all night waiting for that monster hand good luck on winning a tourney. In a tournament you need to be aggressive, watch the cards and make your moves early if you want to have any chance in winning. Here's how I recall my hand. Im holding an A7 Offsuit, everyone limps it, it comes to Shannon and he up it 240. Everyone calls, flop comes done A52 Clubs. At this point im thinking I'm holding top pair, everyone has a chance at a flush draw to seperate those up I bump it to 500. I get re-raised all in. So I'm thinking maybe he hit the flush, staring him down for a minute I put him on top pair with a flush draw but no flush after the flop. I also have top pair with a mid kicker at this point anyone would probably have folded. Im thinking no 7's drawn in the last 4 hands odds are in my favor that I'll hit. Now Im thinking is my 7 going to hold up if the other card (turn or river) is the other he's holding. I like my odds, I call. He flips over and A5 showing two pair. At this point I'm relieved that he didn't have and 8 or higher and hoping the the turn or river isnt a 5. Turn comes with a 2. I wait to see if my 80% shot of a river is a 7, low and behold it is. All night no one would call me when I raised with shit and when I had a nice hand they would just call, I would reraise on the turn and they would fold. I must have seen only half a dozen rivers after I raised. Say what you want, I play and unorthodox style of poker but it works. What would have made me fold? A few scenerios. 1) If Shannon popped in 500+, 2) If the all in just called and then raised all in on the turn. 3.) If more than two people called the 500. Anyway thats my two cents.... or and if anyone thinks I don't know how to play poker.. lets go heads up and I'll give you 2 to 1 odds. Your $500 against my $1000 email me and we'll setup up a date and time. Time to go get my car!!

Lee
  • Was this the tourney for the brand spanking new car?? wow 2 to 1 on a heads up game. I am sure that will peak a lot of interest as I do not think any pros would offer that.
  • I believe unless the chip stacks are deep enough that going all-in every single hand preflop would be a long term winning proposition given 2-1 odds.
  • :D  Dammmm Lee is the man right now. I watched him play on Saturday all day and I can see he is a very good player, in his reads and how he makes the right calls and folds at the right time.  I watched him play as he played 9 grueling matches as he won our Heads-Up Tourney in Brampton on Saturday congratulations to Lee and can't wait to see you again.

Cameron
    West Side Poker Club
  • Leequinox wrote:
    Wow I must have a million horse shoes up my ass, I mean winning 7 of the last 8 tourneys I've played in.. what a RUSH!! The pocket cards you hold is only about 20% of the 100 it takes to win a hand in poker. If you sit there all night waiting for that monster hand good luck on winning a tourney. In a tournament you need to be aggressive, watch the cards and make your moves early if you want to have any chance in winning. Here's how I recall my hand. Im holding an A7 Offsuit, everyone limps it, it comes to Shannon and he up it 240. Everyone calls, flop comes done A52 Clubs. At this point im thinking I'm holding top pair, everyone has a chance at a flush draw to seperate those up I bump it to 500. I get re-raised all in. So I'm thinking maybe he hit the flush, staring him down for a minute I put him on top pair with a flush draw but no flush after the flop. I also have top pair with a mid kicker at this point anyone would probably have folded. Im thinking no 7's drawn in the last 4 hands odds are in my favor that I'll hit. Now Im thinking is my 7 going to hold up if the other card (turn or river) is the other he's holding. I like my odds, I call. He flips over and A5 showing two pair. At this point I'm relieved that he didn't have and 8 or higher and hoping the the turn or river isnt a 5. Turn comes with a 2. I wait to see if my 80% shot of a river is a 7, low and behold it is. All night no one would call me when I raised with shit and when I had a nice hand they would just call, I would reraise on the turn and they would fold. I must have seen only half a dozen rivers after I raised. Say what you want, I play and unorthodox style of poker but it works. What would have made me fold? A few scenerios. 1) If Shannon popped in 500+, 2) If the all in just called and then raised all in on the turn. 3.) If more than two people called the 500. Anyway thats my two cents.... or and if anyone thinks I don't know how to play poker.. lets go heads up and I'll give you 2 to 1 odds. Your $500 against my $1000 email me and we'll setup up a date and time. Time to go get my car!!

Lee

500$ heads up.

Any time.

Place, Tysons or Robs.

Edit x2 ...

How far are you willing to go?
    1000?
    2000?
  • Lee,

I think we all agreed you knew how to play. Considering you play a 10/20 NL Game regulary, you have to have some skill. Or you have a dad that's very rich

BUT... you put your money in as a dog. Not just once, not twice but everytime you turned your cards over you were a dog. The deck went your way, really went your way, but to call that skill?

You hit a 3 outer twice with most or all of your chips in the middle, one where the board said you were practically drawing dead.
    You called 2/3 of your chips with an underpair, and caught a 2nd pair on the turn
    You called a double gutshot, (not pushed in...called) against an obvious top pair for more then 1/2 your stack.
    Then called 1/6th of your stack heads up, which would have crippled you and gave your HU opponent something to work with against you, with a gutshot.

Your very lucky, and you completely outplayed me on one hand where I had you on a bluff, but a bad one. But I didnt loose my chips to you.... I lost them to a hot deck for you...and unless we play again, you have no right to call it anything different.
  • PSi how about we do $5000/$10000 next monday??
  • If you guys are serious about playing a heads up match this rich let me know and I'll host and deal it.

Lee, Can you explain what you were talking about when you said that no 7's had flopped in the past 4 hands and that the odds were in your favour that you would hit one? I'm not critisizing at all but surely you know that the outcome of the previous hand(s) have absolutely no bearing on the hand at play.

I had heard that you had said we were all easy to read? I'm not sure if you in fact play a lot of 10/20 live but I would find it hard to believe that we were ALL very easy to read. I consider the group of players that we had to have some of the best players in KW and possibly even in Ontario. If you didn't say it, don't worry about it no harm done. Like anyone else I don't like people trash talking behind my back. I prefer to respect my opponents whether I consider them to be strong or weak. I wouldn't let your recent success get to your head, it might get more difficult to find a nice home game to go to. Congrats on your win at my house, you do play an unothodox game, whatever works for you go with it!

stp
  • trash talk?? wow this whole thread is about how everyone thinks im a bad poker player... and you get ansy about one post i made?
  • Lee,

I think the ansy part is about what you allegedely said outside.

I still havent said your a bad player, I even gave you credit for a hand that you said was AA, but I had pegged as a complete bluff.
    But what I saw was not skill, unless you have some system for counting/feeling cards from previous dealt hands which will make a difference on the current deal.

If you have that system, which gives you an edge when the math says you are way behind, then write a book. You'll make millions. :D

One thing that softens a blow when you suck out a 2 outer, is to admit how lucky you are. But then again, if you truly have some new system, dont worry we'll see you at the main event next year.

Tyson