KW Nameless Holiday Weekend Tourney Ideas

I'm planning on hosting a tournament on the civic holiday long weekend.  Other than that, most of the details are still being decided. :)  I thought I would post in advance to see who is around (and interested) that weekend, and which night would work best.  I'll be starting around 7pm, but can run it either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night (July 29, 30 or 31st).  Specific details will be posted next weekend.

If there is a lot of interest (more than 20 people), we'll probably just have one big tourney ($1000 or $10000 chip?), and some side games afterwards.  Another option with lots of players would be to just have numerous small buy-in ($5) single table tourneys throughout the evening.

If we have around 20 people or less , I can structure the blinds so the game completes (roughly) within 2 1/2 hours, and we can start a second tourney around 10.  If we end up scheduling 2 tourneys, should we have a second NLHE, or is there interest in a different second game (Omaha/Stud?)?

Please post any preferences/ideas you have, as well as which night works best (or doesn't work).  If you are thinking of coming, it would be really helpful to know this week, so I have rough numbers (so we can decide on big vs 2 small tourneys). 

I hope some of you are staying in town :D
Trevor

Comments

• Sounds good, Trevor.
    What's the buy-in?
    Let me know if you need anything (tables, Kem cards,)

JohnnieH
  • JohnnieH wrote:
    What's the buy-in?
    This partly depends on the response. I'm thinking that if we have one large tournament, either a $10 + 1 or 2 rebuys, or a $20 freeze-out. If we have a couple planned tournaments, $10 each. If we just have multiple/continuous single-table, $5 each. However, I'm totally open to suggestions. I just want to make this as enjoyable as possible for everyone who comes!
  • I would be interested...great idea!
  • I could make Friday night, the format doesn't matter much.
    $10.00 i'm more than cool with, rebuy/freezeout doesn't matter to me.

I'd be up for an Omaha SNG afterwards etc...it'd be nice to mix it up a bit.
  • I could probably make any day.

I'm cool with pretty much any format.
  • I should be in 'loo for the civic holiday weekend. Most preferably saturday night I guess.

any format is good.. just want to have some fun =)
  • I think I have some plans, but have no clue what they are. Count me interested. The amounts you suggest sound good
  • Just a quick update (and bump).  I'm leaning towards Friday night right now, since (hopefully) anyone who is leaving town may still be around for the night.  I'm also unsure whether the turnout will be fairly small (based on the response so far) or will spike once a formal announcement is made. 

In order to be prepared either way, and also so that I can avoid figuring things out in the future, I've put together a variable payout schedule.  It ensures the winner gets the lions share, and the last money position gets at least the buy-in back.  Any suggestions for improvement are welcome.

2-56-910-1415-1920-2526-3233-40100%65%50%50%45%36%35%
    35%30%25%25%24%20%
    20%15%15%16%15%
    10%10%12%12%
    5%8%9%
    4%6%
    3%

And a note to Shannon - I'm sorry you're coming back at the end of the weekend instead of the start :( (looking forward to meeting you)
  • This sounds like alot of fun, once ya work out the details I bet I could get a few other to come.
  • Just a quick update/bump. Any last minute comments/ideas on day/structure, etc. are still welcome. I'll be posting the official accouncement/signup tonight.
  • Hey , count me in, and maybe a few others...
    2-56-910-1415-1920-2526-3233-40100%65%50%50%45%36%35%
    35%30%25%25%24%20%
    20%15%15%16%15%
    10%10%12%12%
    5%8%9%
    4%6%
    3%

i was thinking something more like this...just a suggestion

2-7             8-12               13-19                19-27               28-36

2 places      3 places          4 places             5 places               6 places

Either day sat and tonight sounds good....just let us know

thanks man

Brady
  • JD_BB wrote:
    i was thinking something more like this...just a suggestion
    2-7 8-12 13-19 19-27 28-36
    2 places 3 places 4 places 5 places 6 places
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't like the first payout level, since it means if 3 people play, top 2 get money. Other than that, it seems pretty similiar to what I have (+/- a few players). Anybody else have any comments on it?
    JD_BB wrote:
    Either day sat and tonight sounds good....just let us know
    It won't be tonight - it's planned for the holiday weekend (July 29, 30 or 31st).
  • I think your original payout structure work's well. Still no preference for a date as I'm not completely sure what I'm doing that weekend.
  • Moose and MrsMoose will likely play if it is on Fri night.  Sat - wedding, Sun - Elgin poker classic.
    We would be interested in a NL tourney and some low limit, limit poker ring games after.
  • Just to wrap this thread up as we move to the official thread, I want to engage in the signature forum activity of man-flirting. I want to give a big thank-you to Zithal. He's been very patient with my constant questions over the last month on how to run a tournament well. If my tournament is half as good as his, I'm sure everyone will have a blast. If on the other hand it sucks, that's my fault, I was ignoring him. ;) Thanks again Rob!